Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VAT Refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:14 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last time I was in the UK I did the VAT refund bit and I was amazed at how much of the VAT refund was lost to the fee charged by the processing people, who were right near customs at LHR. It was something like 1/3 - 1/2 of the total refund. I must admit that I had only bought about GBP300 of items, so maybe it was a high fixed fee plus a percentage.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
Question

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Last time I was in the UK I did the VAT refund bit and I was amazed at how much of the VAT refund was lost to the fee charged by the processing people, who were right near customs at LHR. It was something like 1/3 - 1/2 of the total refund. I must admit that I had only bought about GBP300 of items, so maybe it was a high fixed fee plus a percentage.

Is there any way of finding about the fees charged for processing the VAT refunds and if there are a number of companies who process the refunds?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Fitzherbert Carruthers
Is there any way of finding about the fees charged for processing the VAT refunds and if there are a number of companies who process the refunds?
Try this as a starting point: https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/vat-refunds

I got the VAT back on iPads back in 2013, but it certainty wasn't the full 20%. It went back onto my credit card IIRC.

I would check the prices in HK, the UK, and your home country (NZ?) and see where is going to be cheapest. I found that Apple products in Australia were significantly cheaper than in the UK, but that was when the exchange rate was AU$2 to £1...
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Anyone notice that Global Blue VAT refund service automatically converts to your local currency and then takes a nearly 6% FOREX fee? My receipt shows a credit back in Euro, but then when I called my bank after noticing a much lower percentage, my bank stated that the amount was in USD, not Euro. I was even hit with a 1% FOREX fee by my bank because they could see it originated outside US (even if it was in USD). Seems like a huge scam to me.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by araknis
Anyone notice that Global Blue VAT refund service automatically converts to your local currency and then takes a nearly 6% FOREX fee?
I think you should have the option to decline such FX conversions on the form?

(However as I spend on GBP denominated cards, it doesn't affect me, so I can't comment on what kind FX admin fee or rate load they apply.)

My receipt shows a credit back in Euro, but then when I called my bank after noticing a much lower percentage, my bank stated that the amount was in USD, not Euro.
Forgive me, why is EUR involved?
Were these purchases made in the UK? and in GBP? - or were they made in EUR?

I was even hit with a 1% FOREX fee by my bank because they could see it originated outside US (even if it was in USD). Seems like a huge scam to me.
Not strictly FOREX (i.e. foreign exchange) fee rather simply a foreign usage fee (i.e. using a card outside a certain area, irrespective of currency).
But this fee is an issue with your bank.

I always make sure I have cards available that don't do this.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by David-A
I think you should have the option to decline such FX conversions on the form?
Form has no mention of this. Everything mentions Euro only.

Originally Posted by David-A
Forgive me, why is EUR involved?
Were these purchases made in the UK? and in GBP? - or were they made in EUR?
Sorry for the confusion, I just used this thread since the discussion was around VAT refunds and 3rd party services that administer them. I assume all EU/GB VAT refunds are handled in a similar way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.