Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting via LHR (Lis-lhr-sfo) Feb 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
Connecting via LHR (Lis-lhr-sfo) Feb 2017

Hi All, (please forgive for re-posting, did not enable email notification previously)

Have a return flight in February: LIS-LHR-SFO, currently ticketed as a TAP flight (LIS-LHR is TAP) from LIS-SFO, but the LHR-SFO leg is on UA Business--all on one ticket. Question: will we have to go through customs in LHR?

Wondering if any of you can venture an opinion whether Brexit would make it more time consuming to get through LHR (as by February, LHR may not allow easy transit from EU). LHR not my favorite airport! Have zero experience on TAP-though they are in the same terminal as UA.

All thoughts welcome...!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Brexit is nonexistent as of February 2017. They haven't even formally begun the process.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As this question is about Brexit and its impact on travel between UK and mainland Europe, will move this to the UK & Ireland Forum where folks will be better equipped to answer.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by pbh220
Wondering if any of you can venture an opinion whether Brexit would make it more time consuming to get through LHR (as by February, LHR may not allow easy transit from EU)
Brexit will make no difference to transit passengers, they will stay airside and won't have to pass through immigration checks.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:10 am

As above, Brexit is irrelevant here. You have one ticket LIS-LHR-SFO, your bags will be checked straight through and you'll just need to go through flight connections at LHR T2 . This involves a security check of your hand luggage but no immigration/customs.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No Brexit and no customs.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:57 am

But remember, Brexit means Brexit.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And the UK has never been part of Schengen in the first place.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Even after Brexit the UK government would be stupid to require all passengers travelling through LHR to pass through immigration and customs if they are simply in transit and their luggage has been checked through.

It is more likely that airline policies on not interlining bags will cause passengers more grief by forcing them to pass immigration / customs and then recheck and reclear security.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up LIS-LHR-SFO

Thank you for the intell on Brexit...guess I should not believe what I read in the NYT! Also sounds like as long as my bags are checked through to final destination, then there will be no long custom process.

But I am wondering, lets say my tickets were separate and I had only carry-on. with my next flight in the same terminal (LHR T2), would my final destination determine where I go through customs?

Many thanks for the procedural clarity!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:11 am
Suspended

There is no customs whatsoever. On separate tickets with no checked luggage you could also go through flight connections if you had your BP. Again, no customs. Unless you are bringing stuff into the country which you shouldn't, there is never any 'customs' issue.

Last edited by LondonElite; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

LIS-LHR-SFO

Sorry, but what's my "BP" (British Passport)? I have a USA one.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:18 am

BP = boarding pass.

On international-international connections like yours, with carry-on only, there's no customs/immigration. You just go through flight connections. The destination only matters if you're connecting to the UK or Ireland, as LHR would then be your point of entry.

It's different if you have checked bags and separate tickets - then you couldn't use flight connections and would instead have to pass through immigration, collect your bags, pass through customs, recheck your bags and re-enter departures.

Also to clarify, Brexit really isn't relevant here at all. At LHR the procedure is the same for both EU and non-EU, since we never have been and will continue not to be in Schengen. So at T2 for example, Lisbon, Frankfurt, Oslo, Istanbul, San Fran, Beijing, Addis Ababa, Cairo, Bogota, Singapore = all the same.* The only practical difference is for UK/Ireland.

(*There is a technical difference if going landside, in that if coming from an EU/EEA country you go through the blue channel whereas from non-EU you go through the green channel, but for connecting purposes there's no difference.)

Last edited by Ldnn1; Oct 11, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pbh220
Thank you for the intell on Brexit...guess I should not believe what I read in the NYT!
What did you read in the NYT that led you to believe that Brexit would be an issue in February?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:14 am
Suspended

Maybe it was the North Yorktown Tattler?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.