Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin - Looking for an electric griddle for eggs, grilled cheese, etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
On a small bill, it'll be because you're in a convenience store or coffee shop, and there's no need to tip at all. You'll be used to at least dropping your small change into the tip jar at a 7-11 or Starbucks, but that's not what happens here. As Swanhunter has said, also be aware that some restaurants - although likely not the sort you'll be frequenting by the sounds of it - do levy a service charge of 10%, which is voluntary (because of law, I suspect). Either pay the service charge or tip 10% if the service has been good - do not do both.

No, you won't be billed for extra water. The meters are fitted to each property in the UK, so we pay for what we use. That's down to the home owner (or hotel in your case), not the customer.

Yes, you'll have daily service. No, there is no more chance of bed bugs than in the US. You're honestly not going to endure some third-world experience! Everywhere you're going is in a fully developed country - some richer than others, which will reflect in the condition of roads and pavements (sidewalks) for example - but don't forget the birth of modern civilisation was on this continent .
We had intended to visit a nice restaurant 1x per day and to eat on our own for the other 2 meals. I assumed we could do that in room, but now realize that we can't, so we'll just grocery shop more than normal. We aren't trying to travel for free.... We're staying in a castle on Christmas Eve and downtown for New Year's! Trust me, we aren't doing this for free. We are just trying to juggle the costs so that we can see and do as much as possible.. I don't want to spend $30 on a breakfast that can be had for $5, that's all.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:33 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
We had intended to visit a nice restaurant 1x per day and to eat on our own for the other 2 meals. I assumed we could do that in room, but now realize that we can't, so we'll just grocery shop more than normal. We aren't trying to travel for free.... We're staying in a castle on Christmas Eve and downtown for New Year's! Trust me, we aren't doing this for free. We are just trying to juggle the costs so that we can see and do as much as possible.. I don't want to spend $30 on a breakfast that can be had for $5, that's all.
I don't think anyone doubts that castles are expensive! Just to be clear, although it's creeping downwards the type of restaurants that charge a service fee are generally fairly high end - so even though you'll be using 'nice' restaurants these probably still won't do it. It's just something to be aware of so you're not double tipping unnecessarily.

Like you, I very, very rarely eat breakfast in a hotel unless they offer me a deal - usually at no more than £10 per person, in which case it isn't really worth my while going out to look for somewhere. If you find yourself in a chain hotel, that's always something worth asking about.

Otherwise, find a nearby cafe or pub which opens early for breakfast (in London, the Wetherspoons chain is a good bet) and you'll get something reasonable for under £10/10 Euros in most cases. Just be aware that in more remote areas that may not be a viable option, but in city centres you'll have plenty of choice.

I fear you may also get a shock when you try and do grocery shopping twice daily - outside major cities, the UK (and more so Ireland) is not awash with large supermarkets, and those that exist are generally outside town and city centres. Particularly given your description of where you're staying, you will most likely find yourself restricted to local shops which will be closer to small convenience stores in US terms. Particularly out of tourist season, they may also operate restricted hours or indeed be closed completely.

As others have said, if you're going to plan to this extent - and there's nothing wrong with that - some research as to what facilities will actually be available close to where you're staying would be beneficial.

Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thx guys, for everything. The whole thread has been filled with useful info.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't think you're trying to travel for free, just being smart about how you spend your money. I'm the same way. My parents taught me a lesson when I was young...everyone has a certain amount of money to spend and they have to make choices on what to spend it on.

What you're going to find is that the range of food prices will be the same you have at home. Just like you can find a passable fast food breakfast in ATL for $6, you can find a passable breakfast on your trip for that price. But it will be more fast food style.

The hotel breakfasts will be enticing, they may have American-style buffets, and they're so convenient. Unless it's included in my room rate, I avoid hotel restaurants in most of Europe. You'll find something just down the street at a more comfortable price.

I know it's not the UK or Ireland, but I just got back from Krakow, where I had a wonderful breakfast of eggs, cured meats, cheeses, a basket of fresh bread, and coffee for $8 US...two doors down from my hotel. Another day I stopped in a bakery for a breakfast pastry and if I recall it was about $1.

If you're at a total loss, ask at the hotel where you can get a cheap meal. I'll sometimes ask the person working at the front desk rather than a concierge. Ask them where they go for their lunch break for example. Most people, anywhere you go, prefer a decent lunch at a low price when they're working.

Last edited by JBord; Oct 7, 2016 at 6:46 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Do, however, try at least one full Irish breakfast (or 'fry'). Not from a buffet, served to you on a plate. Better still, if you're headed north, an Ulster fry.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:50 am

I was told about this thread by a friend from a different forum; he was right, it was worth reading it.

Just a note to the OP: next year please post your (similar) questions about Greece in the Europe forum early enough. Knowing the mentality of my fellow Greeks, you'll have a hard time telling apart jokes from serious answers. At any rate, I'm looking forward to reading your questions
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:52 am
Suspended

All I know is things were never this complicated when I went travelling with my family - I'd need another holiday just reading about all the prep that has gone into this one.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
All I know is things were never this complicated when I went travelling with my family - I'd need another holiday just reading about all the prep that has gone into this one.
LOL, and to think, it all began because I just asked the budget thread where to find a cheap griddle! 😆

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Oct 7, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
I was told about this thread by a friend from a different forum; he was right, it was worth reading it.

Just a note to the OP: next year please post your (similar) questions about Greece in the Europe forum early enough. Knowing the mentality of my fellow Greeks, you'll have a hard time telling apart jokes from serious answers. At any rate, I'm looking forward to reading your questions
LOL, I'm afraid to even read the comment that referred you here. Glad it made you smile though!
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:54 am

Could you do a Trip Report please, flwrlover1? I'd really like to know how your trip goes. I'm sure we could crowdfund the cleaning fee if you do manage to source a griddle...
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:02 am

Ireland isnt Backwards

do we need to worry about bed bugs? All of the hotels are 4*.
This is bordering on offensive.

Lets get a few things clear.

Irish people are some of the best paid in Europe. Our cost of living reflects this and we live significantly better than the vast majority of Europe, including crappy old England. Americans seem to want to visit Ireland on what we call 'the cheap' and splash out in Paris, Amsterdam, Rome. Do it the other way around.

A 4* $150 a night hotel in Ireland is equivalent to a $300 hotel in the US, London or Paris. You dont get bedbugs because you got a good deal, you paid less because our (hotel) Taxs are low.

You can stay in the very best 5* Irish hotels for less than $300 a night. case in point, a small Irish town in the middle of nowhere has the worlds 5th best destination spa. Monart and its less than $200 a night!

Our food is CHEAP, we dont eat chemical filled crap, so when you are here and you see a 3 course steak dinner for $30 the cow was free range, grass fed and what you would call 'organic' charging $150 in NY for the very same striploin we flew over to you.

And rightly so, crap food is expensive. A XL bacon double cheese meal in burger king is $10. A 50g bar of Chocolate or Chips (crisps) $1+. 'Soda' is $2 a 500ml bottle.

You have 2 choices...
Come to Ireland and eat fast food... its twice the price of the US
Come to Ireland and eat quality food... its at least half the price of the US

5* Castlemartyr Resort in Cork, good enough for Kim and Kanye, is $250 a night

5* Park Hotel Kenmare $280

5* Trump International Clare, $300

Rant over
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
This is bordering on offensive.
Wow. First, I'm sorry if you were offended. We have 4 and 5 star hotels here that get bed bugs. They can travel in anyone's luggage or whatever. I was just interested in knowing if it was also an issue in Europe and if so, whether it was to a lesser or greater extent than here. Again, my intent was not to offend.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 10:54 am

Wow. First, I'm sorry if you were offended. We have 4 and 5 star hotels here that get bed bugs. They can travel in anyone's luggage or whatever. I was just interested in knowing if it was also an issue in Europe and if so, whether it was to a lesser or greater extent than here. Again, my intent was not to offend.
My bad.

No you have no concerns about bed bugs in Ireland.

It would be highly unlikely you would be kicked out for cooking up in your hotel room. We are too friendly to do that. You would be asked not to do it again first.

One thing you would face problems with, would be sneaking in 4 in to a 2 person room. You would be charged the rack rate if caught.

In Europe hotels charge per person. The same double room, is often cheaper if booked with 1 adult staying instead of 2.

Twin bedrooms are often 2 European single beds (half the size of 1 king bed). Just in case you were expecting two king sized beds. And there are not that many rooms with Twin beds. Hotels usually split/put together the beds with a large mattress topper on your preference, you wouldn't notice that the beds were split when made as a king room.

Use a car hire comparison engine, like travelsupermarket to find a deal on a hire car. Ignore the reviews you find on tripadvisor, all car hire companies play the same tricks. If you are uncomfortable with the car hire company, take photos of the car before you take it. Buy your CDW insurance from a third party insurance provider if you dont already have full cover and reject the car hire companies exorbitant insurance. Small automatics dont really exist in Europe. If you can drive stick, get a manual. And make sure your car hire is full to full fuel policy on return. Diesel and Petrol is around 1.15 Euro a Liter (3.8Litre in a US gallon) So under 5 USD a US Litre for fuel in Ireland/UK. Our cars typically do 50 to 80 miles per (UK) gallon 4.5L.

Have you booked a hotel outside Dublin? A Car in Dublin isnt really necessary and parking is around 5 Euro an hour.

When you go to Clare to the cliffs, if you are trying to save money. Let all of your passengers out before you get to the pay parking booths, its right next to the entrance, you will be charged for 1 person instead of 4/5. the cliffs are free to see, the visitor center is what you are paying for.

Last edited by telabadmanwot; Oct 15, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by telabadmanwot
Use a car hire comparison engine, like travelsupermarket to find a deal on a hire car. Ignore the reviews you find on tripadvisor, all car hire companies play the same tricks. If you are uncomfortable with the car hire company, take photos of the car before you take it. Buy your CDW insurance from a third party insurance provider if you dont already have full cover and reject the car hire companies exorbitant insurance. Small automatics dont really exist in Europe. If you can drive stick, get a manual. And make sure your car hire is full to full fuel policy on return. Diesel and Petrol is around 1.15 Euro a Liter (3.8Litre in a US gallon) So under 5 USD a US Litre for fuel in Ireland/UK. Our cars typically do 50 to 80 miles per (UK) gallon

When you go to Clare to the cliffs, if you are trying to save money. Let all of your passengers out before you get to the pay parking booths, its right next to the entrance, you will be charged for 1 person instead of 4/5. the cliffs are free to see, the visitor center is what you are paying for.
Lots of useful information! Ty. I hadn't heard of that website and I appreciate any tips on saving $. We really just should have done a one week vacation this yr vs trying to do 3 weeks in so many locations, especially
at New Years. We are so excited though. I've always dreamed of seeing Europe!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This thread is hilarious. I'm dying for the trip report. There were times when I thought this was a wind-up but I suppose not.

What most people are telling you is correct; no fridges, no ice machines, no sleeper sofas in the rooms, no microwaves, no tipping, but...enjoy meals in pubs and dicey looking Indian restaurants, and make sure you tip your cap at anyone you meet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.