Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cake shop in London

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by alphaod
[...]
I apologize if anyone feels insulted that I considered bringing cake to an upscale restaurant. I will not go into detail about my misadventures of bringing multitudes of alcohol and homemade food to a many Michellin 3-starred restaurants and other upscale establishments around the world.
I am intrigued!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: BA - Blue
This practice is very common in Beijing and honestly, until I clicked on the link above, I hadn't for a moment thought it had caught on in dear old Blighty. Count me as one of the people that thinks it's not the done thing.

I have no problem with "bring something special" (e.g. a unique wine, or something homemade, and to share with the chef, with whom one is friends) if one has a longstanding relationship with an establishment. I've seen this done at several world-class restaurants. Never seen it done or done it myself at somewhere where I'm dining for the first time. But actually, the OP wants 'a birthday cake' -- the chef of a decent restaurant can do that.

Anyway, the matter appears resolved thankfully. Hope the birthday celebrations go well!

tb
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by alphaod
In my opinion, I do not find bringing celebratory cakes to be any insult to a restaurant. Though, I never really had a discussion with anyone on this and did not realize it is considered faux pas for a lot of folks.

That said I have contacted the restaurant. They have a "cake form" so I assume know what I'm talking about. On the form are only two choices, which I specified a cheesecake option in the special requests. The pastry chef has okayed this, but otherwise I do not know what it'll be like. They wish to have everything on their form even though I explained everything on the phone, though I trust the competency of their chef so I am not too worried on this matter.

I apologize if anyone feels insulted that I considered bringing cake to an upscale restaurant. I will not go into detail about my misadventures of bringing multitudes of alcohol and homemade food to a many Michellin 3-starred restaurants and other upscale establishments around the world.
No reason to get shirty...I don't believe anyone was insulted, just pointing out that it would be unusual to see people bringing in outside food into upscale restaurants here, be they Michelin starred or not.

I do agree that this plan is somewhat awkward, and that your chosen plan of conferring directly with the restaurant is much better. Hope the evening goes well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.