LGW I-I (A3-BA) transfer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:11 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
LGW I-I (A3-BA) transfer?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying ATH-LGW-BOD on separate tickets in November with A3 to LGW and BA to BOD with 6h between. Would I have to go through immigration? I hope to travel HBO, but I'll have a carry-on (which fits the dimensions) and a backpack (which is bigger than the personal item dimensions, but smaller than the carry-on dimensions). Does LGW still limit carry ons by number and size, ie should I have to worry about being made to check my carry-on to accommodate my backpack?

Finally, any good PP lounges in LGW?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you need to check luggage, you'll need to go through immigration (unless you can persuade A3 to check through - it wouldn't be policy to do so).

With HBO, you can follow the 'flight connections' route. Note that, as it's before January 17, you'll be landing in the South Terminal and departing from the North Terminal. There's an airside shuttle bus that will take you across - and you'll need to clear security.

With luggage, there is a 'GatwickConnects' service that will allow you to recheck your baggage in the arrivals hall. You then go landside, and head for the shuttle train to North Terminal, and go through security there.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:49 am

Gatwick security will allow through whatever the airlines allow. You can take a smaller item as well as a carry-on as a rule. It's down to BA to determine what you're allowed on board - unless the flight is absolutely packed, you'll probably have tags placed on your carry-ons, with the smaller labelled as 'under-seat storage' only.

As for the lounges, I only know the old BA F lounge, but there's good reviews of the No 1 and My Lounge offerings here:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06...gatwick-north/
http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/06...gatwick-north/
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
As for the lounges, I only know the old BA F lounge, but there's good reviews of the No 1 and My Lounge offerings here:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06...gatwick-north/
http://www.headforpoints.com/2015/06...gatwick-north/
Thanks for the links.

Gatwick security will allow through whatever the airlines allow. You can take a smaller item as well as a carry-on as a rule. It's down to BA to determine what you're allowed on board - unless the flight is absolutely packed, you'll probably have tags placed on your carry-ons, with the smaller labelled as 'under-seat storage' only.
I guess my question is more along the lines of "will anyone at security (which seems to be after immigration) actually be checking the size of my carry-on bag + backpack?" Since I'm flying without any checked luggage, I plan to OLCI and just use a mobile/printed BP if it's offered and skip the transfer desk (if it exists) + UK immigration, so I'm not sure how Gatwick security will know that the airline is/isn't okay with the larger-than-a-personal-item backpack.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pewpew
Thanks for the links.

I guess my question is more along the lines of "will anyone at security (which seems to be after immigration) actually be checking the size of my carry-on bag + backpack?" Since I'm flying without any checked luggage, I plan to OLCI and just use a mobile/printed BP if it's offered and skip the transfer desk (if it exists) + UK immigration, so I'm not sure how Gatwick security will know that the airline is/isn't okay with the larger-than-a-personal-item backpack.
That's the point Stut is making - security won't care (unless you rock up with a steamer trunk or something). Note that BA is increasingly penny pinching so a more accurate enforcement of the rules re carry at some point in time shouldn't be a complete surprise.

One note on the lounges at Gatwick - November should be quiet season, but because the BA lounges are closed, everything gets a bit more congested. You may find that the Aspire lounge is the best bet, as this isn't being used by BA - however 6hrs is probably a bit too long to be spending there...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
That's the point Stut is making - security won't care (unless you rock up with a steamer trunk or something). Note that BA is increasingly penny pinching so a more accurate enforcement of the rules re carry at some point in time shouldn't be a complete surprise.
Ahh, okay. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

however 6hrs is probably a bit too long to be spending there...
You're telling me! I wish there were a direct LHR-BOD instead, since I have family that live close to LHR (and consequently probably wouldn't be willing to make the trip out to LGW ), but I guess I can spend the time studying for my neuroanatomy exam that'll be 2 days after my flight...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:04 am

With 6h between, I'd be tempted to fly to Paris and take the train.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:25 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stut
With 6h between, I'd be tempted to fly to Paris and take the train.
...especially if you have an exam 2 days afterwards. Surely there must be another set of flights connecting in Schengen with a shorter transit time...
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
...especially if you have an exam 2 days afterwards. Surely there must be another set of flights connecting in Schengen with a shorter transit time...
Granted, there are many ways to get there, but they all end up costing a ridiculous amount of money for the distance traveled. I need to get my 4 A3 segments in (ATH-LGW is the 4th), so I'm taking a trip during my October break. The other option was ATH-MAD-TLS with MAD-TLS on Ryanair, but then I have to take the train, and I'd arrive even later than LGW-BOD. It doesn't help that I return right after the fall/winter timetable starts, so there aren't many options to get to BOD in the first place.

Actually, when I look at a ow ATH-BOD, the cheapest option is ATH-LGW-BOD all on BA, with an even longer layover than the A3 ATH-LGW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.