Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Westin or Intercontinental Dublin hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.

It's my first visit to Dublin and I'm trying to decide between the two they both come out the same in price and they both offer their own pro's and cons.

we are getting two beds so the IC offers two queens I believe where as the Westin offers two twins. However the location of the Westin seems to be better. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:58 pm

We stayed at the intercontinental several times soon after it became one last year. We had to ask for our amenities both times, but otherwise the service was fine and the rooms were decent. Location was within walking distance of many attractions. There is also a stop for the hop on/off bus and the concierge can get you tickets. We didn't do tea or eat there as there are so many good options. There is a pub down the street serving an excellent Irish breakfast.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Stayed at the Westin this April for 5 nights. I can't say enough great things about it! Large rooms, comfy beds, amazing location, fantastic breakfast. Also a fun bar in the basement that makes great cocktails. There is no doubt I will stay there next time in Dublin.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:55 pm

Westin location is far, far better for touristy stuff. It is a decent Westin too. The Intercontinental (née 4 Seasons) is in a suburb.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by sapman986
Westin location is far, far better for touristy stuff. It is a decent Westin too. The Intercontinental (née 4 Seasons) is in a suburb.
so first time in Dublin its probably the better route to stick with Westin?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Amil
so first time in Dublin its probably the better route to stick with Westin?
ABSOLUTELY. The IC is a fine hotel, but the location is not the best.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
ABSOLUTELY. The IC is a fine hotel, but the location is not the best.
Agreed that the location of the IC is not ideal for a first time visitor, but it is in a nice/safe part of town.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Agree about the Westin's location being best for sightseeing. It's just a few blocks from Trinity College (Book of Kells) and Temple Bar. Less than 10 minutes walk to Grafton Street, and catch the hop on-hop off bus a block away.

If a two or more night stay and you're not using points, book the Westin through a Virtuoso TA for Virtuoso amenities: full breakfast daily for two in-room guests; upgrade on arrival, subject to availability; afternoon tea for two once during stay; early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Westin all the way for the location and it being Virtuoso. Fun city - I loved Dublin when I visited.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Westin all the way

We stayed at the Westin last Fall as first time visitors to Dublin. There could not be a better location. Staff was outstanding and you can walk to just about everything. Breakfast was a fabulous buffet. The concierge was extremely knowlegable. Have reservations to go back.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Also agree. The Westin is towards the east end of Temple Bar which is your main strip for all things tourist. IC is in a quiet area.
If you want to have fun, see the tourist stuff, etc - Westin.

However, keep in mind the IC is near a DART station, and you can always take DART up to Tara street and be 5 minutes from Temple Bar. So, if you have a reason to prefer the IC and are OK with that, it may be worth it. Do keep in mind the hours that DART runs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.