Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAN T1 immigration - EU pax forced through e-gates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
GE is much better than epassport gates. I am not sure where you have to speak to an immigration officer (are you confusing it with APC?). You normally miss out the immigration offices completely and can simply hand one of the machine generated slips to the offices at the customs check just before going landside.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Returning to the original subject of MAN T1 passport control, they have now doubled the number of e-gates from 5 to 10 and the last couple of times I arrived there in the last two weeks there was no queue at all. ^

I should also add that there are still 3 separate lanes for e-gates, EU passports and non-EU passports.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 15, 2016 at 5:16 am
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
And is T3 still as horrendous as it was?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Fitch
This thread raises an interesting question for me about authority.

I assume that if a police officer tells me to wait in a certain queue, there's probably no mileage in doing anything but complying. Ditto someone in a BF or Customs uniform.

But what about other uniformed airport staff like the purple people ? Do they have any actual authority in law (or bylaw) ?
I'll normally do what I'm asked to do in these situations. That's politeness and a vague feeling that nanny knows best.

But at T1 with a damaged foot but a sporting chance of getting the last train, I ignored the PP and a lengthy queue for E-gates, and headed for the manned but unused "EU" desks. To avoid a maze that increased by ten-fold the distance separating me from freedom, I had to un-Tensa sequential barriers.

I was very aware of the border folk watching my flick-flick progress, but the officer i ended up before performed his duty quickly and said not a word.

That's the story of how pedal pain and the threat of a £40 taxi fare turned me into a bolshy rebel.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But at T1 with a damaged foot but a sporting chance of getting the last train, I ignored the PP and a lengthy queue for E-gates, and headed for the manned but unused "EU" desks. To avoid a maze that increased by ten-fold the distance separating me from freedom, I had to un-Tensa sequential barriers.
I just keep my earphones in and pretend I can't hear anyone ^ Same way I deal with the annoying "sign up to my charity" people on the way to work

Probably wouldn't try it outside the UK
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
I just keep my earphones in and pretend I can't hear anyone ^ Same way I deal with the annoying "sign up to my charity" people on the way to work

Probably wouldn't try it outside the UK
Likewise, I frequently resort to "deaf and don't speak English" mode when confronted by airport security inanity. Especially the shouting goons at T5 x-ray queues.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by mandolino
Likewise, I frequently resort to "deaf and don't speak English" mode when confronted by airport security inanity. Especially the shouting goons at T5 x-ray queues.
I think the best approach is to put on my best Hugh Grant accent and say, "I'm terribly sorry, but I simply don't understand a word of English". Smiling, head shaking and hands raised, palms upwards - "No, really - I don't have a clue what you're on about".

I definitely think this would be a good idea if I ever had the bottle to try it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:01 pm

Have been through passport control at MAN more times than I care to think about but was speaking with a colleague today; he was absolutely insistent that MAN had a fast track passport control line for F and J pax? I can't say I've ever stopped to examine all the notices but I only ever remember seeing EU-manned, non-EU-manned and EU-egates. Is he right?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by User Name
I think the best approach is to put on my best Hugh Grant accent and say, "I'm terribly sorry, but I simply don't understand a word of English". Smiling, head shaking and hands raised, palms upwards - "No, really - I don't have a clue what you're on about".

I definitely think this would be a good idea if I ever had the bottle to try it.
It's a terrible idea!

Don't engage with these people any more than necessary.

They have more rules protecting them from you than you have protecting you from them. Look at all the signs around the place warning you against harassing staff.

By contrast, the only place I've seen a sign about customers'/passengers' rights was in PER.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beecharmer
Have been through passport control at MAN more times than I care to think about but was speaking with a colleague today; he was absolutely insistent that MAN had a fast track passport control line for F and J pax? I can't say I've ever stopped to examine all the notices but I only ever remember seeing EU-manned, non-EU-manned and EU-egates. Is he right?
Which terminal was he referring to? There definitely isn't one in T1 for EU passport holders but I don't know about other terminals.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 1:26 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Nah, he's talking rubbish
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Nah, he's talking rubbish
... but if the airport thought there was any money to be made out of it, they'd do it
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:21 am

Am wondering if J and F passengers get to use the new Passport Control fast track lane for free in MAN like with with the Security lane; anyone had any experience since it opened on the 1st?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Am wondering if J and F passengers get to use the new Passport Control fast track lane for free in MAN like with with the Security lane; anyone had any experience since it opened on the 1st?
I used T1 'Passport Control FastTrack' at MAN last Wednesday. You enter on the left hand side of the hall and queue on the far left, next to the non-EU pax.

It worked pretty well for me; Just breezed through and only had to wait a minute or so whilst the Border Force agent in the booth on the far left stamped the passport of a non-EU citizen before he called me forward.

I'm not sure if J and F passengers currently get to use the Passport Control FastTrack for free, but somewhat doubt it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
I used T1 'Passport Control FastTrack' at MAN last Wednesday. You enter on the left hand side of the hall and queue on the far left, next to the non-EU pax.

It worked pretty well for me; Just breezed through and only had to wait a minute or so whilst the Border Force agent in the booth on the far left stamped the passport of a non-EU citizen before he called me forward.

I'm not sure if J and F passengers currently get to use the Passport Control FastTrack for free, but somewhat doubt it.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.