Search

Curve Card - Use Amex where MC is accepted [Amex to be withdrawn 31 May 16]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 2:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Curve Card - Use Amex where MC is accepted [Amex to be withdrawn 31 May 16]

I know we have some random postings about the Curve card recently. I've seen a few in the BA forum, but I can't find any dedicated thread to it (and a search of 'curve amex' doesn't reveal a great deal.

For those that don't know, Curve issues you a MasterCard piece of plastic that is linked to your Amex account so that you cause the latter wherever the former is accepted (giving you pretty much complete credit card coverage.) Charges are billed to your Amex as normal transactions would. It also has a very low FX charge, as well as the ability to withdraw (reasonable amounts) of cash from your Amex. Sound great, right?

I believe there have been some significant teething problems though, including declined purchases, duplicate purchases, and problematic support.

This is probably not the ideal place for this thread, but I'm interested in people's recent experiences in using Curve; I'm considering getting one, but I'd like to know whether I'm likely to experience significant frustration!
Old May 24, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Your timing is unfortunate, I'm afraid.

Within the last 30 minutes I received an email from Curve saying that they are no longer able to support Amex (due to concerns that Amex have had).

This was the main reason I got the card, and until now I have been very happy with it (it saved me far more than the registration fee when I used it to pay for a holiday, for example - the holiday company were charging £70 to pay by Amex, nothing to pay by Mastercard).

Curve will work with Amex until the end of this month, and then it's off. They can't confirm if it will be offered again, either.

Damn shame. But they are offering a full refund to any cardholder that wants it.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You must be joking...there goes that business model!
Old May 24, 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You must be joking...there goes that business model!
Yep! I would imagine a huge percentage of people who signed up did so because they could get Amex points at places that didn't take Amex.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just saw the full email on HfP. Well, since that was the only reason I goethe card, I guess I'll go for that refund. I can't see Amex coming back to this.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Welcome to FT, by the way, mondayboy!
Old May 24, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT, by the way, mondayboy!
Thanks! (I was told there was a free bar).
Old May 24, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
They've had some issues, but seem to be getting better. How they handled the Amex double-charge thing 2 weeks ago is a lot better than how they handled the refused online transactions, as an example

My big issue at the moment is with how the (badly) handle pre-authorisations. My advice now (after trying a few things) is give a different card when you checkin at a hotel, then at checkout ask them to charge the curve instead. That seems OK
Old Jun 3, 2016, 2:21 am

Yep - this would have been extremely useful for my business expenditure as 80-90% of my expenditure can't go through Amex especially a lot of public sector payments. No Curve, no Amex Business for me. The only useful regular spend is google adwords.

Don't know about the business models for credit companies but I would have thought the annual membership fee potential from Amex via Curve would be decent?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by wavery83
Yep - this would have been extremely useful for my business expenditure as 80-90% of my expenditure can't go through Amex especially a lot of public sector payments. No Curve, no Amex Business for me. The only useful regular spend is google adwords.

Don't know about the business models for credit companies but I would have thought the annual membership fee potential from Amex via Curve would be decent?
They were bad for Amex since Amex was eating the interchange fee effectively.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:51 am

eating?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
They were bad for Amex since Amex was eating the interchange fee effectively.
Care to elaborate? - Can't see what you mean to be honest.

I think it was a CS bombardment issue due to duplicated txns.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
As far as I understand it, Amex charges a ~1% fee for normal interchange which is why merchants dislike them.

By marking the cards "commercial use only" and therefore using the Mastercard commercial interchange rates which are exempt from the current EU capping, the merchant pays like 1.4% (or a fixed fee - unclear which to me) See https://www.visaeurope.com/media/ima...5-73-17806.pdf

Presumably they get 1.4% from the merchant but pass it through to Amex at 1% making themselves a profit. Amex doesn't like since it's likely misclassifying consumer spend as commercial and they're profiting off Amex.

Further, if it grows in popularity, it's a way for merchants to accept Amex but avoid Amex fees at the point of sale potentially (which are interchange fee + so often like 3%)

I'm probably somewhat wrong here but there was some sort of funny business related to the above anyways.

Last edited by BobbySteel; Jun 12, 2016 at 10:23 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This explanation would make some sense. From a logical perspective, I get 1.5% cashback on all my Amex spend (above a threshold). This is way higher than I could get from any Visa or Mastercard. Separately I know that Amex can afford this, because they charge the merchant much more in fees. If the merchant is not paying more, I'm sure Curve isn't paying Amex, so Amex will be receiving less, but still having to pay out the full amount.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
As far as I understand it, Amex charges a ~1% fee for normal interchange which is why merchants dislike them.

By marking the cards "commercial use only" and therefore using the Mastercard commercial interchange rates which are exempt from the current EU capping, the merchant pays like 1.4% (or a fixed fee - unclear which to me) See https://www.visaeurope.com/media/ima...5-73-17806.pdf

Presumably they get 1.4% from the merchant but pass it through to Amex at 1% making themselves a profit. Amex doesn't like since it's likely misclassifying consumer spend as commercial and they're profiting off Amex.

Further, if it grows in popularity, it's a way for merchants to accept Amex but avoid Amex fees at the point of sale potentially (which are interchange fee + so often like 3%)

I'm probably somewhat wrong here but there was some sort of funny business related to the above anyways.
I don't see how that description fits with your description of "Amex ... eating the interchange fee effectively."
That is why I queried it.

Amex are not bearing any costs they would not otherwise bear, nor were they receiving any less. (If we assume users would not make highly cost ineffective - i.e. mad - transactions).

Actually, I believe the Curve model is far more built around averaging. They are providing some services on little to no margin, in the hope of other transaction types earning them a bigger income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.