Search

Afternoon Tea - Goring or Rubens?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred, BA Sapphire, Hertz Gold
Afternoon Tea - Goring or Rubens?

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Off to London tomorrow and have made reservations for Afternoon Tea at both The Goring and Rubens Hotel. Goring is £42 and Rubens is £32. I have never had Afternoon Tea before, is the £10 difference noticeable or should I opt for the cheaper alternative?

And a quick one, which is the best gourmet burger in London in your opinion?

Cheers!
Old May 5, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
The Goring is a more upscale hotel than Reubens, that likely explains the price difference. The actual food and drink will likely be similar.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Gourmet burger is pretty much an oxymoron, but if you mean non-fast food, I'd suggest Bar Boulud in the Mandarin Oriental, or Burger and Lobster (there's one on the top floor of Harvey Nicks across the road from the MO).
Old May 6, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The Goring is a more upscale hotel than Reubens, that likely explains the price difference. The actual food and drink will likely be similar.
And neither will be nearly as good, IMHO, as pretty well any of the tea shops which line the streets of the nicer towns in Devon and Cornwall, where it will be much less than £10. But, of course, you have to get there.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And neither will be nearly as good, IMHO, as pretty well any of the tea shops which line the streets of the nicer towns in Devon and Cornwall, where it will be much less than £10. But, of course, you have to get there.
And now I have a *massive* clotted cream craving.

Thankfully, I am off to Devon in a few weeks' time!
Old May 6, 2016, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that Bar Boulud or Burger/Lobster are good for a smart burger. However I would far rather have one in Honest Burger.

Afternoon tea, meh.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There's a lot of decent burgers from achingly trendy "food trucks" around, but there's a lot of hipsterified dross as well. Hard to give a particular recommendation, although I did particularly enjoy one from an anonymous van at the back of the Truman Brewery in Shoreditch.

There's a couple of decent options around King's Cross and the new St Martin's College at lunchtime, but again, I couldn't give you specific options.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:44 am
Suspended

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...afternoon-teas
Old May 10, 2016, 1:05 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Fortnum & Mason do a good afternoon tea, and their tea is probably the best you will find.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
Fortnum & Mason do a good afternoon tea, and their tea is probably the best you will find.
Their tea is produced by Twinings so nip along to your local Waitrose and save some cash by buying there!
Old May 10, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Their tea is produced by Twinings so nip along to your local Waitrose and save some cash by buying there!
Are they? Did not know what, my wife likes a couple of their blends which I don't think I have seen anywhere else, but may need to check again.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:52 am

http://www.teagenius.com/index.php?o...=27&Itemid=119

You have any sources to quote for that assertion? I looked it up and it doesn't seem like it.
Old May 10, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
http://www.teagenius.com/index.php?o...=27&Itemid=119

You have any sources to quote for that assertion? I looked it up and it doesn't seem like it.
My father was production manager for Twinings tea! However it may well have changed recently.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:20 am
Suspended

My father was production manager for Twinings tea! However it may well have changed recently.
By jove, that's pretty much the back of the net with that shot !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.