Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Orkney or Lewis

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Visiting Orkney or Lewis

Hello all, me and my wife have found some good deals to Edinburgh so we're thinking we are going to head there for around 7 - 9 days. Plan is to spend a few days in edinbourgh then rent a car and head up to Iverness and then to isle of skye.

We would like to see some stunning landscapes, cool wild life and ruins while we're there. It looks like Isle of Lewis or the Orkney islands fit these categories. What one would you recommend? Both islands have day trips from Skye or Iverness, is one day enough to do these islands justice? If we were on the island for more than a day would we need a car / have a place to stay or have to camp?

Finally my wife is deathly allergic to seafood. Are we going to find her a hunk of meat to chow down on?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by steveo
We would like to see some stunning landscapes, cool wild life and ruins while we're there. It looks like Isle of Lewis or the Orkney islands fit these categories. What one would you recommend? Both islands have day trips from Skye or Iverness, is one day enough to do these islands justice? If we were on the island for more than a day would we need a car / have a place to stay or have to camp?

Finally my wife is deathly allergic to seafood. Are we going to find her a hunk of meat to chow down on?
Going to Lewis would mean having to avoid the need to go to Inverness but Orkney has some of the best Neolithic archaeology in the world but I'd want to spend more than a day there. You can fly there from Inverness or Edinburgh.

As for your wife, given the number of deer and hairy coos around she won't have a problem with a no seafood option
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Actually, Skye has more conventionally "stunning" landscapes than either Lewis or Orkney. Lewis has cliffs and sea-lochs, but is largely moorland. Orkney is mostly flat or rolling. Both are definitely worth visiting--as an archaeology fan, I love Orkney and have been there twice--but, as AlanR indicated, a daytrip would just be a hit-and-run. I wouldn't do it, but if you just want to glimpse Callanish on Lewis or Skara Brae, etc., on Orkney, you could.

If you want really dramatic highlands scenery, the area of Wester Ross on the mainland across from Skye has plenty (wildlife, ruins and some archaeology, too). Other parts of the highlands are amazing, too. Since you'll have a car, consider doing some route planning accordingly.

As for seafood, I don't eat fish or shellfish, have spent lots of time in Scotland, and have never had a problem. On islands and the coast, many places will specialize in seafood, but that's not all they'll have.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It all boils down to cost as taking the car on the ferry to either Lewis or Orkney is pretty pricey making it more sensible to go for a few days. B&B accommodation can be had and is good value although you can always camp if on a tight budget but make sure you peg your tent down well....it can get rather blowy in the islands when a weather front moves in.

If you decide to stay on the mainland you'll still have a fabulous time...that's where the best scenery is.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

Yes,you will find a broad range of foods on offer, some excellent steaks from local breeds is easy to find in most places, I myself am very partial to Haggis, also Scotland has some of the UK's best venison.

Do bare in mind some of those places are quite remote, so make sure you have the medicines you need, and you can pick up a cheap pay as you go phone for around £10 in case of emergencies.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone, I think we're going to try to spend a few days in Orkney, we're suckers for archaeology, and hey the name is cool.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
In my opinion, the most stunning scenery in Orkney is on the island of Hoy. Take the first ferry of the day from Houton on the Mainland (what they call the main island of Orkney) and hike out to the Old Man then wander through the excellent Scapa Flow War Museum if you're interested in that sort of thing while you wait for the ferry to take you back.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

thanks, have anyone done anything like this one day tour of Orkney from Iverness, maybe next time I should just schedule a vacation to orkney / shetlands:

http://www.jogferry.co.uk/getdoc/e6b...Inverness.aspx
Old May 2, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks, have anyone done anything like this one day tour of Orkney from Iverness, maybe next time I should just schedule a vacation to orkney / shetlands:

I've not done that tour but it looks like an awful lot of travel in one day, for relatively little time at the destinations. If you like coach travels and just a snapshot of somewhere it might be worth doing.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb

I suppose if it's the only way you'll see a bit of Orkney, it might be ok, but it would be too much traveling in one day for me. And it certainly wouldn't give you enough time for the excellent Magnus Eunson tour at the Highland Park Distillery.

I've been to Orkney a couple of times, spending only a few days there each time. Next time, I'll go for at least a week. Lots to see.
Old May 8, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Well you have all convinced us to go to Orkeney, because why the .... not?

We are going to spend two nights, any recommendations for hotels? It looks like they're already filling up.

For going to Hoy Isle (today island, hahaha?), is it pretty easy just to hop on a boat to get there or is there foresight in how to get there?
Old May 9, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Decent hotel accommodation in rural Scotland can be very expensive and the quality of the cheaper ones can be awfully poor.
The standard of B&B accommodation in private homes has come on leaps and bounds over the years. You can get a double en suite room which includes wifi, hospitality tray, flat screen tv including full breakfast for as little as £65 a night for two although I suspect on Orkney you'll pay extra.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad

Yes,I have done this tour,it is quite exhausting,a long day,but the scenery on the drive up is amazing,well worth it,then a short ferry crossing to Orkney,where a coach picks you up for a tour,Skara Brae,Ring of Brodgar,and a stop in Kirkwall,I was 63 when I did it,just about 10 mins for a photo stop in John O'Groats as well,do it if you can!!!
Old May 12, 2016, 7:49 am

Be aware that the ferry ride across is very rough. I did it 30 years ago and knew within 20 minutes out that I would be sick. Not fun. However, they may have a better ferry now.

On the other hand, the scenery around John O'Groats and Thurso is stunning in itself, wild cliffs with puffins and screaming seagulls everywhere. Although we were there a long time ago, I find it hard to believe it would have changed much. Really beautiful. A day trip on your own from Inverness to the north coast would give you the advantage of stopping when you want. We also loved the town of Dornoch which is on the way.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Haha can't wait. I once got hired to do commissioning on a oil production rig in the adriatic sea, and only vomited once over 4 weeks so hopefully I'll be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.