Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Good idea to book hotel last minute in Edinburgh, UK during the end of May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good idea to book hotel last minute in Edinburgh, UK during the end of May?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Good idea to book hotel last minute in Edinburgh, UK during the end of May?

Hi all, I'm taking a trip to Edinburgh, UK on the last weekend of May. My hotel is already booked (non-refundable rate). However, there's a slight change in my itinerary. I reconnected with a friend from my younger days, and it turns out that he lives an hour from Edinburgh. If I had Nostradamus' vision, I would have booked a multi-room apartment instead of a hotel room.

Anyway, I'm willing to pay part of his hotel stay, but the prices for that weekend have increased significantly since I booked. Aside from a marathon and the start of a children's festival, I am not seeing any other big events in Edinburgh.

Should I go ahead a take advantage of the lower, non-refundable rates now? Or do you think it's better to wait until check-in to see if the hotel offers last minute rates? If no last minute rates, i would likely end up paying the full price.

I'm not familiar with Edinburgh, so I don't know what my chances are of getting a hotel with last minute rates.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I always stay at B&Bs, so can't advise on hotel availability, but the last weekend in May is a bank holiday weekend, which tends to increase tourism.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
A word to the wise. Most people in Edinburgh regard themselves as being in Scotland, so they would refer to it as Edninburgh, Scotland if, indeed, the suffix is even necessary, which it really isn't.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:44 am

This report, even although it's from 2015 might help you make up your mind. Central Scotland, where Edinburgh lies, is a small area well connected so staying outside the city (or, whisper it) Glasgow would not be a problem
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the U.K. Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Qacer
Hi all, I'm taking a trip to Edinburgh, UK on the last weekend of May.

Aside from a marathon and the start of a children's festival, I am not seeing any other big events in Edinburgh.
The Pro12 final is at Murrayfield Stadium that Saturday. You can forget cheap rooms that weekend, I'm afraid. And if one of the Irish teams with big support (Ulster or Leinster) reach the final (you'll know 1 week in advance), you can probably forget getting another room in Edinburgh full-stop.

Get yourself a ticket to watch Glasgow Warriors retain their title! 😉

The marathon is actually quite a big deal, too, btw.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The last weekend in May (or more accurately the last Monday in May) is also a public holiday in the UK. If I'm not mistaken they didn't used to observe this in Glasgow or something odd, but http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/bank-holidays shows it.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
The Pro12 final is at Murrayfield Stadium that Saturday. You can forget cheap rooms that weekend, I'm afraid. And if one of the Irish teams with big support (Ulster or Leinster) reach the final (you'll know 1 week in advance), you can probably forget getting another room in Edinburgh full-stop.

Get yourself a ticket to watch Glasgow Warriors retain their title! 😉

The marathon is actually quite a big deal, too, btw.
Thanks! I don't know a lick about rugby, though. I'll likely just catch it on the television if I'm still not passed out from sightseeing.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I read some more articles recently. It seems like a better strategy is for me to book a refundable rate, and try to get the cheapest rate as close to the stay dates before cancelling the original booking.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:15 am

OP, I would advise you book a non-refundable rate as soon as possible.

It's peak holiday season at that time. It's a public holiday in the UK which will swell visitor numbers to Edinburgh - a very touristy city in any event. Add to that the big sporting events mentioned and you are very unlikely to get a better rate at the last minute.

With due respect, would ignore the advice on booking a place in Glasgow. I love Glasgow (and as a city I prefer visiting it to Edinburgh, but that's beside the point). If your friend lives an hour from Edinburgh then he/she may as well stay at home and travel in to see you.

PS Edinburgh is most definitely in the UK, so you're absolutely correct to state that
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
A word to the wise. Most people in Edinburgh regard themselves as being in Scotland, so they would refer to it as Edninburgh, Scotland if, indeed, the suffix is even necessary, which it really isn't.
Going off the last vote the majority also consider themselves part of the UK, so there should be no issue with the title.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by London_traveller

It's peak holiday season at that time. It's a public holiday in the UK which will swell visitor numbers to Edinburgh - a very touristy city in any event. Add to that the big sporting events mentioned and you are very unlikely to get a better rate at the last minute.

With due respect, would ignore the advice on booking a place in Glasgow. I love Glasgow (and as a city I prefer visiting it to Edinburgh, but that's beside the point). If your friend lives an hour from Edinburgh then he/she may as well stay at home and travel in to see you.

PS Edinburgh is most definitely in the UK, so you're absolutely correct to state that
I've heard that's a touchy subject!
Old May 2, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Have you contacted your hotel to see if they can negotiate a larger room/suite or some other suitable option?
Old May 2, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by London_traveller

I've been tracking the rates, and it seems like there's no way down. It's up to about 100 GBP from my previous quote. I guess non-refundable rate it is. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Larrude
Have you contacted your hotel to see if they can negotiate a larger room/suite or some other suitable option?
Yes, I have. The only option is another room. I did look at an AirBNB apartment near the hotel. I found one within 5 minutes walking distance, but the owner did not respond to my inquiry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.