LHR T5 Secret Railway Station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Could it be referring to Crossrail?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A question for the UK forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/
Some people there are train fanatics (being polite !)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...y-station.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35617315
Heathrow Airport has a secret underneath it: A huge, ghost railway station built to serve Terminal 5.

The empty station, which was completed in 2008, already has platforms but track and signals would need to be installed to make it operational.
<snip>
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by FallOfTheWall
Could it be referring to Crossrail?
As far as I know Crossrail will be using the HEX platforms as effectively its replacing the Heathrow Connect.

Another thought was it could be a track transit system to link T5 to T3 but although I heard suggestions of this in the early days of T5 I've not heard it for many years. The sign suggested this secret station would eventually be used so as the long term plan is to demolish T3 I doubt it's the track transit system.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yeah, all the searches are showing T5 but this sign was in T3. Has someone put it there by mistake?

You're right the UK forum would technically be the correct place and I'm sure the mods will move after a run in this forum. I selected this forum as a lot of people here have knowledge of the workings of LHR and also T3 is a BA terminal so any improvements in connectivity will benefit BA passengers.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The poster has the hashtag #lhr70 and i think its referring to this at T5 rather than T3

http://Stories.heathrow.com/story/secret-station
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There was an extensive discussion when the BBC report first appeared that included all sorts of info about the hidden station. IIRC it was provision for the proposed route to Waterloo and Reading

But looking at the list of these facts / plaques on the LHR website it looks like they have taken some liberties with the locations. Some of them related to the old T1 for example which is no longer with us and one if the T5 ones is from before the terminal opened. And another T5 'fact' re the Olympics is the figure fir the entire airport not just T5

http://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-restaurants/events-in-the-terminal/heathrows-70th-anniversary
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There was an extensive discussion when the BBC report first appeared that included all sorts of info about the hidden station. IIRC it was provision for the proposed route to Waterloo and Reading
From 20 Feb 2016 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...y-station.html
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by chalf
So far as I understand, the issue with Gatwick Express is that it is marketed as a dedicated service, when it is not.
The marketing reflects what the Gatwick Express was previously - a direct non-stop service between Gatwick and Victoria. There used to be one such train every 15 minutes at peak times and 30 minute intervals otherwise.

As part of Brighton Mainline improvements peak morning and afternoon services were extended to Brighton with a stop at Haywards Heath. Some non-stops remained at peak times and the rest of the day.

The service has since evolved to what is in place now.

The problem is that there is no separate line to Gatwick and the route it sits on is the busiest in the U.K., with severe capacity constraints. Solution adopted is not ideal, but a ideal solution would involve demolishing large swathes of south London.

On Western routes I imagine capacity is less of an issue and running an express shuttle from Reading with some longer distance trains would provide a compromise that doesn't adversely affect commuters whilst providing good rail links to LHR.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:06 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Funnily enough I am not sure that they actually broadcast the programme itself as indicated. Think something happened in terms of news that meant that there was s change in plans.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
From work experience last year:
- The platform is accessed some stairs located in the current exit area of the HEX somewhere
- Crossrail won't be using T5 and will replace the Heathrow connect shuttle to T4 from T123. The Heathrow connect train that stops at T5 at the moment will no longer operate.
- The 'secret train station' was for future proofing and is currently planned to be used on the western rail link via Slough etc.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by madfish
Funnily enough I am not sure that they actually broadcast the programme itself as indicated. Think something happened in terms of news that meant that there was s change in plans.
It wasn't a programme but a news report / magazine type feature - it's only a couple of minutes long.

Re GEX - when it started it was a stand alone franchise ( I think actually the first one in the country). It was later merged into the Southern Franchise which is now the Southern / Thameslike managed contract.

When the train stopped at LGW it basically blocked several train paths on the Brighton Main Line. Only recently was it extended to Brighton in peak hours. It's also why platform 7 was also recently constructed at LGW.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There was an extensive discussion when the BBC report first appeared that included all sorts of info about the hidden station. IIRC it was provision for the proposed route to Waterloo and Reading.
[...]
Yes, originally intended for the now cancelled Heathrow Airtrack scheme.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:28 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Attention please. The two threads on the "LHR hidden railway (not train, never train) station" are going to be coupled. The doors will be closed. Please remain seated until the doors are unlocked.

stut
UK & Ireland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.