Wiki Posts
Search

First Time to Europe (LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hertz
Smile First Time to Europe (LHR)

Hi, and the end of March, I will be traveling to Nice, France from Chicago. (NCE, LHR, ORD). Wanted to ask if there is anything i should know about for this flight with customs, etc. From what i understand, Ill have to go threw Customs at LHR, but not at NCE. and on the return flight, just at ORD, Can anyone confirm that?

Also, Since i booked the entire ticket at AA.com, (AA from ORD to LHR and BA from LHR to NCE) will my luggage automatically be transferred or do i need to get it and re-check it?

I have done many flights Domestically (US) but this will be my first time traveling out of the country via Air.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will be in transit at LHR and go through customs and immigration at NCE. Your bags will be through-checked and you won't see them again until NCE. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mhankosky
From what i understand, Ill have to go threw Customs at LHR, but not at NCE. and on the return flight, just at ORD, Can anyone confirm that?
Congratulations on your trip to Europe. At Heathrow, both coming and going, you will be subject to a TSA-style security check but not customs or immigration. You will not see your checked baggage at LHR; it transfers without your involvement. Your Customs encounter will be (and, generally, is always) in your arrival country. NCE on the way out, ORD on the way home.

This doesn't apply to your upcoming trip but might be useful for future reference: when you are landing in the US, you do customs and immigration at your first arrival city, whether or not it is your final destination. If you were connecting on to OMA from ORD, you would still do customs, etc. at ORD. Most other countries do not work like this.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:10 am
Suspended

What are your flight times and what day of the week is this? Transferring at LHR (especially the archaic bus transfer between T3 (AA arrival) and T5 (BA NCE departure) can sometimes feel like you've earned a leading role in a Kafka play.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
... This doesn't apply to your upcoming trip but might be useful for future reference: when you are landing in the US, you do customs and immigration at your first arrival city, whether or not it is your final destination...
Again for future reference: Fifteen airports outside the U.S. have U.S. customs pre-clearance facilities. Most are in Canada and the Caribbean, allowing flights to small U.S. airports that don't have customs and immigration facilities. Others are at Shannon and Dublin in Ireland and in Abu Dhabi. The list will probably grow in the next couple of years. In those places, you take care of the formalities before take-off and arrive in the U.S. as a domestic passenger.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What are your flight times and what day of the week is this? Transferring at LHR (especially the archaic bus transfer between T3 (AA arrival) and T5 (BA NCE departure) can sometimes feel like you've earned a leading role in a Kafka play.
AA 86 8:00 PM ORD to 8:35 AM LHR
BA 6580 4:40 PM LHR to 7:40 PM NCE

Return

BA 6587 7:15 AM NCE to 8:30 LHR
AA 87 12:25 PM LHR to 3:15 PM ORD

I hope 8 Hours is enough to transfer!

Originally Posted by Efrem
Again for future reference: Fifteen airports outside the U.S. have U.S. customs pre-clearance facilities. Most are in Canada and the Caribbean, allowing flights to small U.S. airports that don't have customs and immigration facilities. Others are at Shannon and Dublin in Ireland and in Abu Dhabi. The list will probably grow in the next couple of years. In those places, you take care of the formalities before take-off and arrive in the U.S. as a domestic passenger.
I am Enrolled in the Global Entry program. My work paid for me to get the card.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Congratulations on your trip to Europe. At Heathrow, both coming and going, you will be subject to a TSA-style security check but not customs or immigration. You will not see your checked baggage at LHR; it transfers without your involvement. Your Customs encounter will be (and, generally, is always) in your arrival country. NCE on the way out, ORD on the way home.

This doesn't apply to your upcoming trip but might be useful for future reference: when you are landing in the US, you do customs and immigration at your first arrival city, whether or not it is your final destination. If you were connecting on to OMA from ORD, you would still do customs, etc. at ORD. Most other countries do not work like this.
Thanks for the valuable information!

You will be in transit at LHR and go through customs and immigration at NCE. Your bags will be through-checked and you won't see them again until NCE. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks!

Last edited by beckoa; Feb 12, 2016 at 12:33 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Return

Yes, you'll be fine. If you are ambitious, you could even opt for a pub lunch in central London and make it back for your Nice flight. I'd do it but understand if it is on the ambitious side for you. Heathrow Express there and back will work for you.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

So to check, when i deboard the plane in LHR, i will have to go threw Europe Customs, then leave the secure area of the airport, take the tram / train to the other terminal, go threw security again.

Since i am TSA Pre-check / Global Entry here in the United States, im assuming that has no benefits at LHR.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
So to check, when i deboard the plane in LHR, i will have to go threw Europe Customs, then leave the secure area of the airport, take the tram / train to the other terminal, go threw security again.
No. When you disembark at LHR Terminal 3 follow the purple "Flight Connections" signs:

You will see display screens that advise which terminal you need to head for. Look for BA348, your operating carrier flight number; the codeshare is AA6580. It looks like you will take an airside bus from T3 to T5, but take a look at the LHR Connections Guide for a preview of exactly what you will face:

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

Since i am TSA Pre-check / Global Entry here in the United States, im assuming that has no benefits at LHR.
As Great Britain is a different country, no.

Last edited by BearX220; Feb 6, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:10 am
Suspended

Incorrect.

You go through immigration and customs procedures in NCE, not LHR. You will not be leaving the 'secure' area of LHR unless you decide to go out of the airport and into London, for example.

Completely irrelevant for the UK and every other country in the world.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Incorrect.

You go through immigration and customs procedures in NCE, not LHR. You will not be leaving the 'secure' area of LHR unless you decide to go out of the airport and into London, for example.

Completely irrelevant for the UK and every other country in the world.
Thanks! I thought that at first, but I guess i got confused.

Thanks!
Matt
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Return

See http://www.heathrow.com, click on "Connections" for a useful connections tool (and a lot of LHR information).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
See http://www.heathrow.com, click on "Connections" for a useful connections tool (and a lot of LHR information).
See reply #12 above.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver

Such a great little tool Built my connections on there and saved them offline so i have them! THANKS!!!!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:29 am

Return

With eight hours, you have time to clear through UK passport control and officially enter the UK. I wouldn't make a trip into the city, but one could take the Tube To Hounslow and get a meal there. Or one could simply go through passport control and the re-enter the departures area again thus scoring an additional stamp in your passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.