Wiki Posts
Search

First Time to Europe (LHR)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
With eight hours, you have time to clear through UK passport control and officially enter the UK. I wouldn't make a trip into the city, but one could take the Tube To Hounslow and get a meal there. Or one could simply go through passport control and the re-enter the departures area again thus scoring an additional stamp in your passport.
With eight hours to kill, I'd get on the HEX and into London. Hounslow is a bit of a dump and I can't imagine there's much in the way of a good restaurant there. Given the choice, I'd stay airside for food. But central London offers the world of choices.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
With eight hours to kill, I'd get on the HEX and into London. Hounslow is a bit of a dump and I can't imagine there's much in the way of a good restaurant there. Given the choice, I'd stay airside for food. But central London offers the world of choices.
Ditto to that. Your flights from the States will probably be early, if anything; schedules are padded enough to allow for more than normal contingencies. You'll have several hours to walk around London, gawk at Buckingham Palace, visit Westminster Abbey, and have a bite in a pub with some English atmosphere or anywhere else that suits your fancy. If you prefer, you can head a few miles in the other direction to visit Windsor Castle. There are several threads in the UK forum here about what to do during a long Heathrow connection.

If you don't want to drag your carry-ons with you, every Heathrow terminal has a Left Luggage storage facility landside. Their downside is that you'll have to get from T3 to T5 at LHR, either when you arrive (to leave your bag at T5 where you'll want it) or when you depart (to retrieve it from T3 where you left it when you came in). If you can carry everything with you, you'll avoid the terminal transfer: just leave from one, return to the other. If you take the Heathrow Express into London, you can use the Left Luggage facility near Platform 12 at Paddington. If you get into London a different way or go somewhere else, I can't help you.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:39 am

I consider the HEX to be quite overpriced and would never advocate it; the Tube works just fine -- and one gets to interact with more Londoners. If one doesn't have the time for the Tube, I'd say stay near the airport.

I find visiting places which are "a bit of a dump" a fundamentally important part of visiting any country. Besides while Hounslow is not fancy, it is far from being really dumpy.

There are several quite good Lebanese restaurants in Hounslow; I can't speak to other fare.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
This is one of those rare cases where time is of the essence and HEX defends itself. OP has, effectively, five hours' street liberty between flights; does he really want to spend 2.5 of them sweating on the Piccadilly Line?

If he springs for HEX to Paddington he'll have time for a spin round Notting Hill and a fine, unhurried pub lunch. I recommend the Ladbroke Arms, in behind Holland Park Avenue. About a 15-minute walk from Paddington.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Indelaware
I consider the HEX to be quite overpriced and would never advocate it; the Tube works just fine -- and one gets to interact with more Londoners. If one doesn't have the time for the Tube, I'd say stay near the airport.

I find visiting places which are "a bit of a dump" a fundamentally important part of visiting any country. Besides while Hounslow is not fancy, it is far from being really dumpy.

There are several quite good Lebanese restaurants in Hounslow; I can't speak to other fare.
Yes, HEX is overpriced, but what are you going to do? A taxi will cost more.

Taking the Piccadilly line with those time constraints will be challenging. And I'll let you in on a little London secret; no one wants to talk to you on the tube. Besides, few people on the Heathrow to London route will be Londoners, you might get a few from Hammersmith or Barons Court onwards.

Hounslow is a dump. There's no polite way to say it. There may be a decent Lebanese place there but seriously, if you have London at your doorstep, why settle for Hounslow?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Yes, HEX is overpriced, but what are you going to do? A taxi will cost more.

Taking the Piccadilly line with those time constraints will be challenging. And I'll let you in on a little London secret; no one wants to talk to you on the tube. Besides, few people on the Heathrow to London route will be Londoners, you might get a few from Hammersmith or Barons Court onwards.

Hounslow is a dump. There's no polite way to say it. There may be a decent Lebanese place there but seriously, if you have London at your doorstep, why settle for Hounslow?
What is it with all you gourmets wanting to go for lunch in London? I thought in hell the cooks were British. I'd save the money for a nice dinner in Nice and maybe tie myself over with a pint or two (or three given that you have eight hours) at the airport.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Efrem
Again for future reference: Fifteen airports outside the U.S. have U.S. customs pre-clearance facilities. Most are in Canada and the Caribbean, allowing flights to small U.S. airports that don't have customs and immigration facilities. Others are at Shannon and Dublin in Ireland and in Abu Dhabi. The list will probably grow in the next couple of years. In those places, you take care of the formalities before take-off and arrive in the U.S. as a domestic passenger.
I know it's off topic, but hopefully I can chuck a quick question in here... If I'm going (on one ticket) DUB to MIA but connecting in LHR do I do the US Immigration stuff at Dublin, or does it wait until MIA?
I believe it's the latter (MIA), but just double checking!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DangerM55
I know it's off topic, but hopefully I can chuck a quick question in here... If I'm going (on one ticket) DUB to MIA but connecting in LHR do I do the US Immigration stuff at Dublin, or does it wait until MIA?
I believe it's the latter (MIA), but just double checking!
It waits until MIA because there is no preclearance going on at LHR. The US immigration staff at DUB services US-direct departures only.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:56 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Originally Posted by BearX220
It waits until MIA because there is no preclearance going on at LHR. The US immigration staff at DUB services US-direct departures only.
Ditto this^

As a side note, I went through CBP pre-screen in Aruba last summer and the officers were in incredible spirits. Said it was a dream of theirs to get that assignment
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk mhankosky.

As this is specific to a destination, we'll relocate your post to an appropriate location.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drminn
What is it with all you gourmets wanting to go for lunch in London? I thought in hell the cooks were British. I'd save the money for a nice dinner in Nice and maybe tie myself over with a pint or two (or three given that you have eight hours) at the airport.
Who's talking about dinner at the Ritz? Just suggesting that a leg-stretch and better food, even if it's just a curry, is preferable to eight hours indoors at LHR.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by drminn
And, if you misbehave in Hell, you then get given the American cooks. But get with the real world. Life has moved on. French cuisine is now disappointing and formulaic so, whilst time is on your side for research in Nice, don't expect a particularly high standard of cuisine unless you pay a fortune. Do expect to have the same 19th century menu given you at each little bistro.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And, if you misbehave in Hell, you then get given the American cooks. But get with the real world. Life has moved on. French cuisine is now disappointing and formulaic so, whilst time is on your side for research in Nice, don't expect a particularly high standard of cuisine unless you pay a fortune. Do expect to have the same 19th century menu given you at each little bistro.
Is the poster American ? If so,my understanding is that quantity rather than quality is of the essence.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
So very true. The lack of variety beyond the formulaic bistro menu or uber expensive Michelin starred meal makes France disappointing after a while. London, NY, Melbourne, Tokyo all offer significant more interesting, diverse and exciting dining scenes. Paris is rather ossified by contrast.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Nice has cleaned up its act after many years of neglect, both gastronomically as well as physically. It's much cleaner and 'tourist-friendly' than it used to be. But I agree about France generally resting on its heels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.