Romantic dinner idea for London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by slawecki
the savoy grill in the savoy hotel. call and confirm that they still have dancing. call and ask for a table overlooking the Thames.(i have forgotten the table numbers)

the food is not super,just std gordon ramsey stuff. but it is location,location, and as romantic as it gets.
Simpson's in the Strand is also nearby and I think that might meet the requirements, also. Maybe have a drink in the Coal Hole first.

OP, I would not recommend STK, just in case that comes up in your list.

If you send us your eventual shortlist we can offer comments
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I spent a good part of my formative years in the Bloomsbury - Holborn - Covent Garden triangle (with Soho in the middle), wining and dining female dates and friends as far as my limited student budget allowed.

From those days and latter, more free spending visits, I'd recommend Chinatown and the smaller Cantonese restaurants there.

I didn't understand what jewels they were in presenting Cantonese and Chinese cooking in the UK and Europe until much later when actually moving to China to work. Fabulous food compared to European standards and a short walk from or to Theatreland.

My second rec based on past London days would be to head to Bloomsbury or Holborn (gastro)pubs popular with University staff and students.

Beautiful people of the multicultural London brand, food is mostly ok to rather tasty but the atmosphere cannot be found anywhere else. Those pubs make London unique and help to understand its soul through their spirit.

And I'd love to head to Simpsons-in-the-Strand with male friends or business partners to have an extended lunch or dinner. But for a romantic meal?

Rather any corner joint outside the major tourist areas, i.e Bloomsbury or Holborn. maybe even King's Cross these days, where at least students counterbalance the travellers.

So, stick to basics: gastropubs, Cantonese/Chinese, Indian, Italian(-British), Lebanese, Jewish, chippies and pie shops...

Personally I have enough former London classmates from college slaving away as investment bankers and in similar sad destinies not to consider establishment dining spots like the Simpsons especially romantic.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This is why we need specifics. The OP might be staying near Trafalgar Square, or perhaps in Pimlico - they are different areas. We have no clue what sort of food the OP likes, or what is considered romantic.

Simpsons and the Savoy are expense account and not really romantic. Poule au Pot is hot and sweaty but could be considered romantic by some. None are about the food but they do all have memorable atmospheres.

I still think that the purchase of a Zagat would be the best investment. Online is not much use in this sphere except to use Citymapper for transport options.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Most recent Zagat is 2014 and I don't want to buy a $25 book that is 2 yrs old for a couple of nights of dining. I'll rely on friends' recommendations and the internet ;-) The Zagat website does have reviews and lists - that's enough for me for now - I don't need exhaustive.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, AA Platinum, Air France Platinum for Life,
+1

I would also recommend La Poule au Pot! It's a nice Bistro style French restaurant with friendly staff.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Andrew Edmunds in Soho. Intimate candle lit bistro with some good cooking. Far and away the most romantic/date night restaurant I can think of in central London. It is also off the main tourist/bridge and tunnel circuit so it will feel like a special discovery.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Ting at the shard (Shangri-La) has amazing views, and modern (but effective) takes on traditional dishes. It's not a cozy intimate place, but it's not crowded / busy.
"Don't bother" would be my honest assessment.

Overpriced, mediocre food and if you don't get a window table, you might as well be anywhere.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:48 am
Suspended

I'm just wondering why so many people think a small French restaurant with candlelights is the only place that can romantic ?
Good food,inobtrusive service and a decent wine list were the main prerequisites in my romancin' days.
Now Mrs Clint Bint and I are heading for our silver wedding anniversary the ability to hear each other is becoming increasingly more important.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Okay despite the comments about stereotyping above there is a French restaurant (which is in a very touristy area) I have recently been to Clos Maggiore (Covent Garden) and had a very good lunch for my friends birthday. If you can get a table in what I would call the flower room then it's very romantic, the paneled dining room upstairs is not bad, but I was told to beware of elsewhere. We were in the paneled dining room which was fine.
http://www.closmaggiore.com
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...n_England.html
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Sorry to have posted such a broad question. It's sometimes difficult to tell from reviews if a place will be loud and crowded, or otherwise not intimate.

We are interested in a place that is on the small side, not frequented by families for dinner. Steak, seafood, or Italian would all be great. Doesn't have to be super-fancy; a quiet meal is the most important factor.

La Poule au Pot and Clos Maggiore were both recommended by other online guides, I will look into those.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by moabhikers
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

Sorry to have posted such a broad question. It's sometimes difficult to tell from reviews if a place will be loud and crowded, or otherwise not intimate.

We are interested in a place that is on the small side, not frequented by families for dinner. Steak, seafood, or Italian would all be great. Doesn't have to be super-fancy; a quiet meal is the most important factor.

La Poule au Pot and Clos Maggiore were both recommended by other online guides, I will look into those.

Thanks again!
One last suggestion - maybe take a look at Marianne. Haven't been, but it sounds good. Only six tables, quality cooking
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I like the Italian and tapas like foods to share at Polpo (I've been to Covent Garden -there are other locations no reservations reasonable).

Steak is expensive dinner I like Barbecoa (Jamie Oliver) in the city (pork chop amazing, burgers good too, never had steak but friends like it) for the views of St.Pauls at night and then take elevator to roof for night views of the city and closer St Pauls views - I love this secret spot

steakhouses -Goodmans has cozy booths - I also like Hawksmoor (food over atmosphere)
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Andrew Edmunds in Soho. Intimate candle lit bistro with some good cooking. Far and away the most romantic/date night restaurant I can think of in central London. It is also off the main tourist/bridge and tunnel circuit so it will feel like a special discovery.
First place I thought of too. Very atmospheric and not greatly expensive.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Raffles
La Poule au Pot, which is in Pimlico, is generally rated as one of the leading 'romantic' London restaurants.

Where romancic = low lights, candles and decent food
Agree with that, though I have a soft spot for Le Caprice for these sorts of dinners.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, UA Silver, AA; Marriott Platinum, HHonors Silver, SPG
I can vouch for Clos Maggiore, food is great and a decent atmosphere.

Jamie's Italian on Threadneedle for dinner, while not the best sounding restaurant name, is excellent food and the back room is cosy. Wine list is very solid and the food is of that farm to table/organic / good for you blend.

Frankly, some of the best food I've had in the last few months in London was a tapas place in Islington, a few blocks from the train stop. That whole area is fun to walk at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.