Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

OT: Is Oyster/contactless travel possible from LTN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Forgive me, but I've googled this one and found contradictory answers. Some sites say that Oyster/contactless travel was due to be rolled out to Luton Airport station from September this year, but I can't find that confirmed. I am flying back into there with EY from FCO next week as the ticket booked today was £65, versus £220 on BA if that keeps this slightly on topic!

Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
there's another thread about Oyster developments, inspired by Gatwick but there may be some relevant LTN info/links.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...s-gatwick.html
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:01 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No.

And this should be posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
You'll need a paper ticket.

The Oyster zone can be seen on the shaded area of this map, and it only goes about half way to Luton (Elstree and Borehamwood is currently the last stop in the Oyster zone on that line)

There's a small rail ticket office, and a handful of ticket machines, at the airport. Those will sell you a ticket that's valid on the bus down the hill to Luton Airport Parkway, then onwards. If you have an Oyster card you want to use, you could get a ticket only to Elstree and Borehamwood, but you'd then be restricted to only catching the slow trains that stop there + jumping off to touch in. Buying a ticket all the way to London is likely to be easier
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:51 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Unfortunately, TfL seem very bad at updating their Oyster validity map - it now extends to stations such as Hertford East, for example. From January, it will be extended to Gatwick. However, it doesn't currently reach Luton Airport Parkway.

Note that the shuttle bus from the airport terminal to the station is not free, so you will have to buy your ticket at the terminal.

Confusingly, Thameslink are currently rolling out their own smartcard system (with a whole host of very annoying features that mean I'm not going to be using it), but not with single tickets until next year. So that may be an option if you do this journey frequently - although if Oyster works, then it may not be necessary.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
Forgive me, but I've googled this one and found contradictory answers. Some sites say that Oyster/contactless travel was due to be rolled out to Luton Airport station from September this year, but I can't find that confirmed. [...]
It hasn't happened... yet. My understanding is that it's still planned, but these things often seem to slip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.