Search

Recommend Central London Neighborhood to stay

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:54 pm
PBQ
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Recommend Central London Neighborhood to stay

On our first trip to London, we stayed at the Radisson Blu - Seven Dials/Covent Gardens due to its proximity to the Google office for work purposes. We loved the location - love to walk everywhere - as well as the cobble stone streets and small pubs and restaurants plus easy access to Oxford Street for shopping and the theaters.

We will be returning this June with our kids 14 and 10. We will do the tourist things - Big Ben Parliament etc...but would like to stay in a flat with a local feel rather than a hotel in a tourist area.

I'm looking for suggestions for another neighborhood in Central London. We will likely be walking home late with our kids so safety is important. We will pay for a nice location accordingly.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've worked in Mayfair and stayed in Mayfair. I find it very convenient for sightseeing.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
London is very safe IME.

Do you have a desired budget? Do the kids have any particular interests?

Are you aiming for one room or two?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:35 pm
PBQ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
London is very safe IME.

Do you have a desired budget? Do the kids have any particular interests?

Are you aiming for one room or two?

Kids like Harry Potter so will probably see some of those sites from the movies plus go out to the studio. Old kid like Prince WIlliam so will do some royals things. Younger kid like science so will go to the Transportation Museum as well as two or three shows. Tower Bridge, Parliament, British Museum, Kings Cross as also on the list.

Budget is probably $500/night - ideally would like a 2 bedroom flat but would go form 1 bedroom + pullout sofa.

Feedback?
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBQ
Kids like Harry Potter so will probably see some of those sites from the movies plus go out to the studio. Old kid like Prince WIlliam so will do some royals things. Younger kid like science so will go to the Transportation Museum as well as two or three shows. Tower Bridge, Parliament, British Museum, Kings Cross as also on the list.

Budget is probably $500/night - ideally would like a 2 bedroom flat but would go form 1 bedroom + pullout sofa.

Feedback?
I'd survey your AirBnB options.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:11 pm
PBQ
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
I'd survey your AirBnB options.
Yes -thanks! I was planning on doing that plus HomeAway. I am looking for a neighborhood to narrow down the choices.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBQ
Yes -thanks! I was planning on doing that plus HomeAway. I am looking for a neighborhood to narrow down the choices.
Notting Hill or Camden could be more colorful and interesting. West End, Kensington & Chelsea more quiet.

Will take a closer look in the morning.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I would also suggest Marylebone and Shad Thames as nice "local feeling" yet well connected areas.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Angel could be an option too.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD
I second Kensington. Safe, great for kids and decent access to the tube - near high street kensington anyway
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by JFSV
I would also suggest Marylebone and Shad Thames as nice "local feeling" yet well connected areas.
+1 for these. Or Wapping which is just across the river from Shad Thames. It's local but safe and quiet. St Katherine's Dock and the Tower of London are on the doorstep, and it's a short hop by boat or tube (District line) to Big Ben Houses of Parliaments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.