Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please review my 4 day England itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Global Entry, UA, AA, BA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by KCZ
The driving has not been a problem except because I requested a car with sat-nav, Hertz gave me a Volvo XC90, which was way too big for the tiny roads here. You'll want sat-nav so either bring your own or check with Avis to see what they can supply.
If you bring your own standalone satnav then make sure it has UK maps. On the other hand, your mobile phone may have all the capability you need. A phone with embedded GPS and compatible with UK mobile services may suffice. On my recent UK visit I used my Moto G phone. My T-Mobile Simple Choice plan gave me text and 1 GB data in the UK at no additional cost. A simple spoken "OK Google ... directions to XXXX" gave me the option of walking, driving and public transport directions and showed my progress on a map display. Check carrier signal coverage maps of the UK to see if any of the areas you plan to visit are problematic.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Barcky
If you bring your own standalone satnav then make sure it has UK maps. On the other hand, your mobile phone may have all the capability you need. A phone with embedded GPS and compatible with UK mobile services may suffice. On my recent UK visit I used my Moto G phone. My T-Mobile Simple Choice plan gave me text and 1 GB data in the UK at no additional cost. A simple spoken "OK Google ... directions to XXXX" gave me the option of walking, driving and public transport directions and showed my progress on a map display. Check carrier signal coverage maps of the UK to see if any of the areas you plan to visit are problematic.
Here Maps. Download the app. Download local maps. Free Satnav.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
For navigation, I was planning on using my smart phone with google maps. It has worked for me in the past in Europe where I mostly used it in walking mode, for example, to walk from the train station to our hotel.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at Hever Castle and/or Amberley Castle that can share an opinion?
I did look into Thornbury Castle. It looks nice but they require a non refundable 30% deposit so once booked you have to be sure you're staying there.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
For navigation, I was planning on using my smart phone with google maps. It has worked for me in the past in Europe where I mostly used it in walking mode, for example, to walk from the train station to our hotel.
Yes, Google maps (including public transport routing) it works fine in the UK, assuming you have a data connection (which I assume you do)
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes, Google maps (including public transport routing) it works fine in the UK, assuming you have a data connection (which I assume you do)
I'll say it again -> Here Maps is a much better alternative than Google, when you download the region map before you leave. Two reasons:

1) 3G coverage in the UK is by no means complete - especially in more rural areas that contain standing stones

2) Data roaming charges.

I use Google as my "go to" mapping, though have Here as a backup.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I'll say it again -> Here Maps is a much better alternative than Google, when you download the region map before you leave. Two reasons:

1) 3G coverage in the UK is by no means complete - especially in more rural areas that contain standing stones

2) Data roaming charges.

Do you prefer Here maps over the offline maps feature in Google Maps?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax

2) Data roaming charges.

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the app. Now I just have to play with it and figure it out. It looks like you need to register to be able to download maps.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the app. Now I just have to play with it and figure it out. It looks like you need to register to be able to download maps.
Here is a nice app. However, if you have the latest Google Maps you can not only save area maps ahead of time, you can also receive moving-map directions without a data connection for areas you've saved. So Here no longer offers the advantages it used to.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Do also look at Avebury. The pub inside the stones has rooms if your really want to push the Neolithic theme.

Would second picking up your hire car in Windsor after an overnight there. Driving 2-3 hours off a red eye seems a receipe for stress.
Having lived in U.K. while in college and then returning for several visits over the years, I strongly second the Avebury recommendation.

For Cotwolds destinations I have fond memory of Bourton (sp?) on the Water as a lovely place to spend a day or overnight.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Do you prefer Here maps over the offline maps feature in Google Maps?
Yes - it's easier to download and manage the maps you need for a trip. Google only allows an area of non-specific size. I do use Google as my day to day map, I keep here as a backup when I need to save data and/or not having a connection.

Try to escape from deepest Wales without 3G taught me never to rely on Google.....
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Here is a nice app. However, if you have the latest Google Maps you can not only save area maps ahead of time, you can also receive moving-map directions without a data connection for areas you've saved. So Here no longer offers the advantages it used to.
You are restricted on the area you can download with Google. Here allows you to select the country, or region, that you need.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very interesting, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.