Wiki Posts
Search

Going to the cinema in London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not something we would ordinarily do, but the husband is overseas for a month, so I'm flying over to spend a bit of time with him mid trip. He'd like to see the new Bond movie. Do we generally need to buy tickets in advance for a new movie or is it ok to just show up 20-30 minutes before the show? What's the best place to see it near Trafalgar Square where we are staying?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

You can buy in advance and note that you pick a seat similar to a theater show - this was hard for me to have an assigned seat as I like aisle away from crowds. Tickets are expensive IMO but is fun if at a historic theatre. In my experience the lines are long especially for popular films like a Bond film so go early to buy tickets
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
The Odeon at Trafalgar Sq. is more expensive but it was cool to see a movie there.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:06 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It depends on where you choose to go. There are the big city-centre ones - the Odeon Leicester Square being the most famous. Ticket prices are high, they fill up quickly for newish releases, and you get allocated seats.

Personally, I prefer going to smaller, local ones, particularly those in the Picturehouse chain (actually now owned by Cineworld). The Brixton Ritzy is a particular favourite - especially the upstairs (and rooftop!) bars. There's also very civilised places like the Screen on the Green in Islington.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I like The Gate in Notting Hill. But for a blockbuster, you're better off going to a large cinema with a big screen and a big audience, rather than a more intimate place.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, then there's the Imax at Waterloo...

http://www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas/bfi_imax/211/
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I usually divide my cinema visits between our local Vue cinema (which does have special prices on one given day per week) and a smaller (independent) cinema located near Bermondsey street (Shortwave cinema) which also offers on Monday tickets for jusst £6.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
How much does a ticket cost these days? It's been 16 years since I've seen a movie in London. It was £10 then, I'd guess it's £15-20 now.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
How much does a ticket cost these days? It's been 16 years since I've seen a movie in London. It was £10 then, I'd guess it's £15-20 now.
For Spectre at 815pm Friday night at the Odeon Leicester Square, adult tickets are £18.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:10 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
There's a VUE near Piccadilly Circus. Seems to be mostly empty on weekdays. £15.49 for SPECTRE on Saturday; I'm using my Club Lloyds vouchers so not paying a penny
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
For Spectre at 815pm Friday night at the Odeon Leicester Square, adult tickets are £18.
I can beat that easily. £9 for Spectre last Sat night at the independent Genesis cinema in Whitechapel last Sat night (and free seating choice so no annoying allocated seats).

http://genesiscinema.co.uk/GenesisCinema.dll/Home
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Wow, well he'll need to decide how badly he wants to see it then!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If it's playing at the O2 and you can get in to see it at the SuperScreen, maybe give that a go. It will be less touristy than the west end, and there are lots of dining options around there before/after the show.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Microwave
If it's playing at the O2 and you can get in to see it at the SuperScreen, maybe give that a go. It will be less touristy than the west end, and there are lots of dining options around there before/after the show.
Dare I ask what the SuperScreen is....have not gone to see a movie at the O2...
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
It's the second biggest cinema screen in London behind the BFI IMAX (which, in the interests of full disclosure, is almost 3 times bigger than the Superscreen), and the 3rd biggest non-IMAX screen in Britain. This is the best picture I could find to show the scale; this is of a hired event but you can get an idea of the size of the auditorium–there's also a large balcony which you can just see in the upper part of the picture. It's not aircraft carrier big, but as cinemas go it's definitely up there in size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.