Wi-fi for Edinburgh visit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum

Hi, I hope that someone who knows Edinburgh airport can give me some advice.

I will arrive in Edinburgh on Saturday for one week and I would like to get connected as soon as I arrive. Is there somewhere at the airport where I can sign up for a short term Internet package for my smartphone and computer? I just need the connection for E mails and general Internet use.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Are you after wifi, or a regular 3g / 4g sim card with a data package to put into your phone, or a wifi to 3g/4g dongle with sim card in it and a data package?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Are you after wifi, or a regular 3g / 4g sim card with a data package to put into your phone, or a wifi to 3g/4g dongle with sim card in it and a data package?
I am looking for a wifi connection for my smartphone, but I will have my pc with me and so I would like to get a wifi connection for it as well.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
A visit to the airport website reveals what you need to know.

http://www.edinburghairport.com/prep...nternet-access
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
A visit to the airport website reveals what you need to know.

http://www.edinburghairport.com/prep...nternet-access
This is the airport wifi.

I am staying one week and need a permanent connection.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I believe thecloud.net has free wifi throughout the city centre (they cover a number of coffee shops too). There's an app to give you automatic sign-in, but it's a bit battery-drainy and spammy if you let it be.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I find that most places in the UK you can either use with a free TheCloud account, or roaming on Boingo. So, a one month Boingo subscription may well work for your needs

That said, given your requirements, I'd suggest you just get a UK PAYG (pay as you go) sim card, pop a few GBs of data on it, then either sling it in your smartphone or get a MiFi type thingy and put it in that
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:38 am

AFAIK there is no outlet which sells SIM cards or dongles at EDI. Of course the airport itself has free WiFi as does the 100 Bus into the city centre,

Your hotel(?) will have WiFi as part of the rate and they will also be able to tell you where to buy a package. They are widely available in any High St or corner shops
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
AFAIK there is no outlet which sells SIM cards or dongles at EDI. Of course the airport itself has free WiFi as does the 100 Bus into the city centre,

Your hotel(?) will have WiFi as part of the rate and they will also be able to tell you where to buy a package. They are widely available in any High St or corner shops
Thanks, this is what I needed to know. No, I am not in a hotel and there in no Internet where I am staying, hence my interest on getting a connection before leaving the airport.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Get on the Edinburgh tram, there's free wifi
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by DernierVirage
Thanks, this is what I needed to know. No, I am not in a hotel and there in no Internet where I am staying, hence my interest on getting a connection before leaving the airport.
If you are going anywhere near a shopping area, you can buy either a SIM, USB data model, or a mobile data to WiFi unit very easily. Among the cheapest are from Three, but you can get them from any mobile phone shop.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
If you are going anywhere near a shopping area, you can buy either a SIM, USB data model, or a mobile data to WiFi unit very easily. Among the cheapest are from Three, but you can get them from any mobile phone shop.
Thanks very much. In fact, I got by with a limited package from an overseas operator, plus wifi wherever available (Edinburgh is pretty good for free wifi). I avoided tethering my pc to my smartphone, as it devoured the capacity on my mobile package, so next time I will do as you suggest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.