Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on a damaged passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Flying on a damaged passport

As someone who feeds into gov.uk in my professional capacity on the subjects of visas and travel document requirements I know there is a lot of information on it which leaves a lot to be desired.
I'll leave it there.

Last edited by lcyguy; Aug 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:54 am

Passport laminate lifted a tiny bit in right corner

I'm travelling on Thursday with my family, I've just got all our documents out to check everything is in order and I've noticed my passport has lifted by about 2mm on the right hand bottom corner and now I'm panicking 😔 Will this result in me being refuSed travel? Many thanks for your replies x
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Jarap123
I'm travelling on Thursday with my family, I've just got all our documents out to check everything is in order and I've noticed my passport has lifted by about 2mm on the right hand bottom corner and now I'm panicking 😔 Will this result in me being refuSed travel? Many thanks for your replies x
If that is all that is wrong with it then you should have no trouble. Ever thought about using a bit of glue?

However, as you posted another problem in your first post on another thread and never returned to the thread I guess your problem was solved as you are now going. But based on that previous form you will probably not read this before Thursday anyway to find out! If you do, then have a good time.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL
My chip has not worked for 18 months or more. No problems as yet but I would rather like to use the e gates...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by snuffi
My chip has not worked for 18 months or more. No problems as yet but I would rather like to use the e gates...
Same here and I have the laminates coming off either side of the passport. Not been a problem in U.S, APAC, Europe or Latam but LHR can be a nightmare if the gates aren't working and you get a painful border person.

On the other hand haven't had a problem at city or gatwick when I have handed passport over on arrival.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
My chip was not working for a few months and I was asked a lot of questions every time when arriving at LHR (not so much at other airports). I had been told though that the chip is just one of the security features and even without the chip working, the passport remains a valid travel document, and this was the mantra I was repeating ad nauseam when asked by the immigration officers at LHR. Decided to get a new passport though when the e-gates became more widespread!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Jarap123
I'm travelling on Thursday with my family, I've just got all our documents out to check everything is in order and I've noticed my passport has lifted by about 2mm on the right hand bottom corner and now I'm panicking �� Will this result in me being refuSed travel? Many thanks for your replies x
That's OK. Thanks to airlines constantly swiping the passport this is extremely common. Probably Russia would get a bit pernickety about it, but they're fed up with the UK having currently 5 different designs of passport plus umpteen cover variations out in circulation, it doesn't take much for them to take the hump. Belarus too. About half of UK passports have a bit of lift after a few years of use. So don't worry.

Now I'm really not supposed to recommend this, but look at one of my earlier posts in this thread. Just get a needle or pin out, use that to get a tiny, tiny piece of Pritstick on to it, apply to the paper side, then squeeze down the laminate, put some kitchen paper on top of the laminate, close the passport, place on a totally flat surface in a warm place, leave a heavy item on top for a couple of hours, and that will see you through for a few more swipes. Repeat as needed. Having said that, tampering with passports is very naughty. And if it's really a mm or two then just leave it.

Note that within the EEA, passport damage is not grounds for refusing entry, but I doubt many airline agents know this. And it's the agents who will pick it up rather than the Border Force. So if you can go HBO......
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by snuffi
Yes. Well if it never worked you can get a replacement, and there are devices in the Passport Offices where you can check the chip's bona fides. However if your passport is several years old you'll get short shrift on a free replacement. If you need visas for the countries you visit, and you can get your employer to back you, you can get a second passport.

The other option is that if you renew a UK passport with no significant changes (e.g. to appearance photo, gender reassignment, usual stuff) then you can submit it 9 months before expiration and if you are quick about it they will give 10 months extra time on top of the 10 year expiry time. And you avoid any increase in passport fees. That said, the last passport fee change was actually downwards, not that anyone believes me.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
How do you guys even get your passports damaged? My passport survived being dropped into the water haha.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by Bakpapier
How do you guys even get your passports damaged? My passport survived being dropped into the water haha.
Usually from putting it in my trouser pocket and then putting hands in jeans/ trousers or forgetting to remove it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably Russia would get a bit pernickety about it, but they're fed up with the UK having currently 5 different designs of passport plus umpteen cover variations out in circulation, it doesn't take much for them to take the hump.
Quite a selection: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/prado...r/a/index.html
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by carat22
Usually from putting it in my trouser pocket and then putting hands in jeans/ trousers or forgetting to remove it.
I'd never put my passport there, always in my handluggage or some separate handbag. Dutch passport is a bit too big to fit comfortably in my pocket as I already have my phone in there .

I personally also don't take it everywhere in daily life. Yes officially you are required to have it on you at all times (and sometimes you cant buy alcohol in the store if you dnt show it but 99 percent of times they dont care) but honestly nobody cares about it.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do NOT try and glue the passport. That will take you to a world of pain as it will look the document has been tampered with.

There are plenty of countries in the world where carrying your passport with you is a very good idea and/or legally required. Mine is less than 18 months old and seriously dog eared.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I find a good quality passport wallet helps a great deal to preserve my passport, as well as removing all stickers placed on it as soon as possible. Mine is in reasonable condition despite being carried around with me most of the time (usually in a jacket pocket, sometimes in a bag).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:18 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.