4-hr layover at LHR: time management?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

Arriving at 9:30AM on VS UC at T3. Departing at 1:45PM on KL at T4. Both on DL award ticket.

It's been quite a while since my last trip to London. Initially wanted to go to the VS Revival lounge, but I think it's dumb. Want to check the bag, and getting through immigration and customs for a 15-min massage doesn't seem all that appealing.

What's a realistic time frame to get between T3 and T4 considering there is a security check (from what I understand)? I wanted to snap a few pics of the Premium Plaza lounge before settling at the SkyTeam lounge until my flight. Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
LHR publishes a MCT between T3 and T4 of 90 minutes. That's tight but fine. So, realistically, you can expect to be in T4 within 60 minutes of your VS flight landing. Which gives you 3+ hours to kill in T4
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mnscout
It's been quite a while since my last trip to London. Initially wanted to go to the VS Revival lounge, but I think it's dumb. Want to check the bag, and getting through immigration and customs for a 15-min massage doesn't seem all that appealing.
Customs is fine, unlike the US you'll just walk through, unless you catch their eye. No forms to fill out, no need to speak to them normally, no queues.

As long as you don't need a visa for the UK, immigration probably shouldn't be too bad around that time. I went through T3 security at around 9am last week, there was no queue for the e-passport gates (EU citizens with chip passports only), and the other queues looked pretty short too. It was a hell of a lot better than the last time I was in T5 around then!

Land-side, from T3 to T4, there's a free train every 15 minutes. Alternately, if you have an oyster card / contactless, it's free if you touch in on the Tube in T2/T3, ride the train one stop towards London, then ride another back to T4 and touch out. You'd have to pay if you did it on a ticket though. From T3, with the need to change on the tube (it's a one-way loop from T4 to T23), I'd suggest following the signs to the Heathrow Express then take the free shuttle train to T4.

So, with a long layover, I don't think customs+immigration+transfer should be a big reason for stopping you visiting the arrivals lounge, if you want to try it!

Last edited by Gagravarr; Aug 27, 2015 at 3:28 am
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Customs is fine, unlike the US you'll just walk through, unless you catch their eye. No forms to fill out, no need to speak to them normally, no queues.

As long as you don't need a visa for the UK, immigration probably shouldn't be too bad around that time. I went through T3 security at around 9am last week, there was no queue for the e-passport gates (EU citizens with chip passports only), and the other queues looked pretty short too. It was a hell of a lot better than the last time I was in T5 around then!

Land-side, from T3 to T4, there's a free train every 15 minutes. Alternately, if you have an oyster card / contactless, it's free if you touch in on the Tube in T2/T3, ride the train one stop towards London, then ride another back to T4 and touch out. You'd have to pay if you did it on a ticket though. From T3, with the need to change on the tube (it's a one-way loop from T4 to T23), I'd suggest following the signs to the Heathrow Express then take the free shuttle train to T4.
All the above only applies if you leave the terminal and go landside. No need to do this for the OP.

Simply follow the Flight Connections sign after landing and take the T3 to T4 bus. No immigration/Passport Control. No Customs.

Only queue will be a security checkpoint entering T4 and the wait for the bus, which should be 10 minutes at most.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
All the above only applies if you leave the terminal and go landside. No need to do this for the OP.

Simply follow the Flight Connections sign after landing and take the T3 to T4 bus. No immigration/Passport Control. No Customs.

Only queue will be a security checkpoint entering T4 and the wait for the bus, which should be 10 minutes at most.
Correct. Bag should be checked straight through if this is on one ticket, so no need to go landslide, unless wanting to use the revivals lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks guys! Think I'll skip revival and go straight to T4. Now if there was a chance for me to get to the proper CH, that would be another story, but with 2 lounges to choose from, I think I'll revive just fine
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Thanks guys! Think I'll skip revival and go straight to T4. Now if there was a chance for me to get to the proper CH, that would be another story, but with 2 lounges to choose from, I think I'll revive just fine
Whilst the Skyteam lounge is fine, I am not sure I'd like to spend three hours there. I'd probably go to the arrivals lounge assuming you're able to access the country.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Skyteam lounge is fine but VS revivals has a much nicer breakfast selection and is often quieter too. Fasttrack at T4 works well IME so I wouldn't worry about clearing security too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.