Wiki Posts
Search

Kid-friendly in Cambridge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Kid-friendly in Cambridge?

Hoping to pick the forum's brain on this topic, as I'm a bit stuck:

I'm looking for an upscale hotel in Cambridge which would work for a family with two young kids. Most of the choices seem pretty uninspiring. The Varsity Hotel looks promising, but I've heard from someone that it's not massively child-friendly, and also this is mentioned on Mr and Mrs Smith's site. Not sure what aspects make it less than kid-friendly, though?

So my questions are: any thoughts on The Varsity? Or any other good options?

Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
How young is young?

How long for?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Sorry, yes; should have added that relevant information.

Kids are 4 and 7, and this will be for a long weekend.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 4:26 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I found the Varsity very underwhelming, despite the rave reviews. The basic rooms are tiny, the corridors are full of service carts half the day because there's no goods lift, and the decor is all very "keep calm and overice a cupcake". The roof terrace is the only redeeming feature. I honestly didn't "get" the place at all. I suspect it's the cramped nature of the place that makes it unsuitable for kids.

Would go for the Doubletree or Hotel du Vin personally (the former would be more family friendly - great grounds and riverside location).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'd recommend the Cambridge City Hotel (former Crowne Plaza). Also the best location in town.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Can't beat the ex-Crowne Plaza's location. It is in the centre, but also not far from open park areas (Parker's Piece and Christ's Pieces).
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Agree the City (ex Crowne-Plaza) and Doubletree are good bets. But a quality short-term let is even better.

I spend about a month a year in Cambridge for work and rent a flat. Although I usually stay two weeks at a time, most of the companies (I use signet) also do shorter term if they have spare units.

You get a proper apartment (a two-bedroom would be similarly priced to the DT), free parking, free wifi and often a balcony.

The one irritating thing is the that the flats have lots of notices of 'if you break this you pay for it etc etc) which is offputting, but I've never had any issues.

tb
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Good feedback; thanks to all. I'll give the Varsity a miss, and plump for one of the suggested alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.