Wiki Posts
Search

Airside transfer at GLA after an international flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Airside transfer at GLA after an international flight

Hi all,

Im flying into Glasgow on an international flight, and then onto a separate domestic flight. Does anybody know if there is a connections channel/corridor at the airport so that I can head through to the departure lounge?

I have done a little research already but not found a definitive answer. The BA turnaround guide airside transfer rating for GLA is: "Excellent if domestic, otherwise Reasonable to Poor. Does "reasonable to poor" mean that it is impossible and I have to transfer airside after immigration? Or just that it is just slow because of having to go through immigration continuing an airside transfer?

Do let me know if you think I should have posted this elsewhere.

Simon.

P.S. If youre interested, my flights are with US Airways from PHL and then FlyBe. Hand-baggage only, on separate tickets.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:50 pm

http://www.glasgowairport.com/im-arr...assenger-info/
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

Thanks for the link which I had already found. However, I do not find any information about airside/landside transfers after customs and immigration (which may indicative!).

The only line I could find of minor relevance was: "If you are connecting from an inbound international flight to a domestic flight ,you may be able to have your baggage tagged through to your final destination. You will need to clear Customs and Immigration before connecting to your next flight."

I am already aware that I would be be required to go through Customs and Immigration, but not whether I can then continue on through an airside transfer... or instead, whether I will have to go out through the arrivals hall and then back over to the departures hall. Admittedly, the term 'airside' might have been used incorrectly here.

Simon.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Aug 7, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Unless you have arrived from another UK airport, you have to go through security. If you have arrived from outside of the UK and Ireland, and are headed to a UK or Ireland destination, you will have to go through UK immigration. Even if not, at non-transit-supporting airports, you'd have to do it anyway

If the airport supports transit, you'd be able to skip the formal customs "walk through the right door", but you'd still technically clear UK customs for you + hand luggage at the first UK airport. It'd probably just be a badly-signed red phone. Your checked luggage, if checked through, would go through customs on your final UK arrival airport. (Again with a walk through the correctly coloured door, unless you caught their eye)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I am still trying to find out if GLA offers that transit facility or if I have to out through arrivals and back through departures.

Thank you for you reply, Gagravarr Youre very kind. Im a UK Citizen and regularly connect from the US when in the UK so I'm familiar with the red/blue/green channels when connecting. However, I usually connect in LHR, MAN, EDI and BHX. Ive only flown domestic-to-international from GLA rather than the other way around.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
I've never gone specifically looking for it but I'm 99% sure there's no transit facility. Exiting through arrivals, heading back up the escalator and caring security won't take long though.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thank you sigma421. That is what I thought would likely be the case, but thought I'd see (I've been through departures at GLA before so thought it might be nice to see a different route!).

If anybody knows any different then please do post.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Asked around a bit and no-one I know has seen one. Do report back though!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
The only line I could find of minor relevance was: "If you are connecting from an inbound international flight to a domestic flight ,you may be able to have your baggage tagged through to your final destination. You will need to clear Customs and Immigration before connecting to your next flight."
I'm pretty sure this is what covers it, as once you go through customs you exit into the landside arrivals hall. No chance of short cirrcuiting anything.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Your checked luggage, if checked through, would go through customs on your final UK arrival airport. (Again with a walk through the correctly coloured door, unless you caught their eye)
At MAN and LHR domestic arrivals there is no coloured door just a oneway door out of the domestic baggage claim

Last edited by Calchas; Aug 9, 2015 at 11:52 am
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
OK, slight edit there. At some UK airports, you just walk out the door, unless you needed to use the Red customs phone to call someone over, or they knew you needed to use the Red customs phone and caught you leaving without doing so. (eg you're a minor celeb and posted a load of photos on twitter of a NY shopping spree, then tried to exit in Manchester without using the magic Red phone to let them know you needed to pay taxes...)

At most UK airports, there's just a shared baggage hall for Domestic + International flights. There, after your UK connection, you exit through the most strict door for you + your bags. (If you cleared EU customs with your hand luggage in Dublin, but your bags were checked through to LCY, use Green not Blue as not all of your stuff is EU cleared by that point. Well, Green or Red / Red phone)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:37 am

No easy route at GLA simply because there is only one passport control point at the international pier just before the baggage carousels which lead directly to the customs exit.

So you get to be searched again, but - 'Glesca' style!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

*apologies if the below is in an incoherent form/structure. I wrote it in transit*

Dear all,

I thought I would update you on the scenario, particularly given a slight change. I ended up having to check a bag in this scenario rather than travelling hand-baggage only from BOS-PHL-GLA-(domestic connection). My original flight was with AA(US) from BOS-PHL-GLA. i then had an domestic elsewhere. Originally, my plan was to do a FlyBe with GLA-BHX or GLA-EMA. Nonetheless, I ended up last minute booking a BA-issued Avios RFS from GLA-LHR which was 55 minutes after I was due to arrive in GLA.

The AA agent in BOS checked my baggage through to LHR despite my revenue AA-issued ticket only being BOS-PHL-GLA. My BA-issued Avios RFS ticket from GLA-LHR was apparently recognised by the AA agent in BOS. She (kindly, and without any arm-twisting/passenger demands) checked my baggage all the way through which was confirmed by my baggage receipt that she gave me (and I photographed in case their were any issues). If everything worked out fine, all I would have to do it go the UK immigration in GLA, pop landside and then re-enter airside with my BA boarding pass and then onto my flight (perhaps even having time to visit to BA lounge!). I was due to land in GLA at 06:55am from the PHL flight with AA(US), and then onto the BA flight at 07:40am to LHR. It was a 55 minute connection time, which is apparently within the minimum connection time (it was flagged up as a legal connection, even on separate itineraries).

A long story short there were some issues with delays so I never got to find out if the above scenario was even possible. I got to PHL and enjoyed the BA lounge (in Terminal A-West?) and then the AA/US lounge in Terminal A(East?). All was fine until I found when I got to the gate for the allotted boarding time that the flight from PHL-GLA was delayed due to tech (same issue as the same flight PHL-GLA 24 hours previous). Bygones these things happen and I was pushing my luck anyway for the BA Avios RFS connection anyway. I wouldve just rebooked myself anyway on FlyBe flights through GLA-MAN-EXT if I was mega delayed, and just bought a cash fare down from GLA-LHR if I got in at a decent time.

HOWEVER, I bizarrely got an email from US Airways telling me I had been automatically recommodated on the next BA flight. I thought this was strange because my original AA/US ticket was only to GLA. I spoke to the lovely agents in the Admirals Club in PHL who told me that that my US ticket still showed me ending my in GLA. We had various discussions about AMADEUS vs SABRE (and they were surprised I even knew the difference). They informed me that my US GLA-LHR recommodation was only a dummy booking and they they couldnt guarantee I could get onto the flight on BA. Indeed, they told me that it was extremely unlikely that I would be issued with a boarding pass for that flight based on my US recommodation. They also informed me that (as I expected) I would have to go airside and pick up my bag given that it would miss the flight it was tagged for.

Based on the advice of the wonderful agents in PHL, I phoned BA. Despite being on a BA Avios RFS down from GLA-DUB, they put me on the next reasonable flight to LHR (reasonable insofar that I could fairly reasonably guarantee I could get to that flight at a slow pace). This was BA1479 the 10.55am down to LHR (they offered the 9.30am but we agreed it wouldnt be reasonable once arriving at 08.43am on the PHL-GLA). I was honestly so grateful, particularly because it was an RFS flight.

Fantastic BA service. Even if I dont make the BA1479 flight down to LHR I was treated so wonderfully at every stage of this disruption despite BA and US having no reason to honour my connection because they were on diffierent itineraries (plus who would reasonably connect from US through GLA to get to LHR? Id be interested to find out if anybody else has tried to check-through luggage on such a route, or even purchased such a route in the route place on a single itinerary). Anyway, my post above is just to provide some context to what actually happened in the end

If I were to return to my original scenario, it appears I cannot comment on the practical possibility profit. However, it turns out that even if one is travelling with baggage, it is presumably possible. It should be noted that I am very lucky. I would also like to add that most (>95%) of the PHL-GLA have been on -time or early so it is not unreasonable for me to have risked it for a biscuit. I did see a sign for 'international connections' when going through UK passport control but then I lost the signs and didn't see where it went after that.

Take care, I hope that this is a useful data-point for some.

Simon.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:56 am

OneWorld Alliance airlines will through-check baggage to each other, even if the flights are on separate tickets, and of course US/AA and BA are at the core of OneWorld. However the rebooking of the GLA-LHR sector when the PHL-GLA was delayed despite the bookings being on separate tickets is exceptionally good service.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the posting this. Your bag should be automatically moved to the new flight, but you should probably check this on arrival at GLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.