Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Apple Pay on the Tube

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I get the impression that TfL have problems getting transaction authorisations for many US Visa and MC cards, but that Amex is a better bet. This is certainly the case for contactless.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
I use Apple Pay on my watch on London Buses all the time - it's very fast (set it up by double-pressing before boarding) and a lot easier than delving into my pocket. Not so sure about Apple Pay on the tubes, in part because I'm right-handed so need to stretch my arm over my body to get to the readers. Think I will stick with Oyster on that because I don't like flashing credit cards on the way in and out of stations (hence I also don't like flashing a smartphone to get in and out of the tube)

Also coloured by my first attempt to use Apple Pay using my phone on the tube which I tried out of curiosity - worked fine to get in but wouldn't let me out with "Seek Assistance" message. Gate staff let me out but said they couldn't help with identifying the problem or resolving the unfinished journey ("we've never had any training on this"). Having said that I see that TfL charged me £7.60 for the incomplete journey but refunded it the same day with the description "TFL GOODWILL". But I'll stick to Oyster on the tubes.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by stut
I get the impression that TfL have problems getting transaction authorisations for many US Visa and MC cards, but that Amex is a better bet. This is certainly the case for contactless.
Just for fun I tried a US-issued Apple Pay card today on the bus, it barfed and gave me the red light. Switched to a UK-issued American Express and it worked a treat. Just another data point...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Microwave
Just for fun I tried a US-issued Apple Pay card today on the bus, it barfed and gave me the red light. Switched to a UK-issued American Express and it worked a treat. Just another data point...
There was a girl on my bus home this evening who was looking to pay with her phone. I insisted that she board in front of me (who said chivalry is dead) and she promptly dropped her phone just in front of the reader. Fortunately it was a Boris Bus with the rubberised floor and it survived the fall but she paid in the end with her oyster card.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by danielsan
Has anyone been able to use ApplePay on the Tube with US Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred or Citi Preferred?)
We tried this at Heathrow yesterday and got the red light (and the display noted "Card not accepted")... ended up buying Oyster Cards instead, which I was hoping not to do.
I used it for a few days in April before ApplePay was "officially" accepted in the UK. Worked ok w/ a Mastercard (Citi Diamond Preferred), but would not work w/ any of my Visa cards.

I ran into the "Seek Assistance" message a few times, but I kept trying and it always seemed to work eventually.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid for an item in the Apple Store in Southampton with Apple Pay, does that count as a success?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:50 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It would certainly count as a fail if you weren't able to!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
It would certainly count as a fail if you weren't able to!
It took a bit of time for it to work

The store man blamed it on his dilapidated equipment
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I'm curious... is anyone able to view their journey history on the TFL website when using Apple Pay?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I'm curious... is anyone able to view their journey history on the TFL website when using Apple Pay?
How would that work? Oyster Card is linked to a TFL account, but Apple Pay is not?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
How would that work? Oyster Card is linked to a TFL account, but Apple Pay is not?
You link the credit / debit card to your TFL account.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by IslesFan
According to TFL, if you link the physical card to your online acct (ie, the actual card number, as opposed to the ApplePay DAN), it will show your journey history when you use ApplePay.

I always thought the "real" cc number never got sent to the vendor, so not sure how they're able to connect the charges.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by stanj
According to TFL, if you link the physical card to your online acct (ie, the actual card number, as opposed to the ApplePay DAN), it will show your journey history when you use ApplePay.

I always thought the "real" cc number never got sent to the vendor, so not sure how they're able to connect the charges.
Exactly why I'm asking.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
You need to add the credit card you charge using ApplePay to your TFL Oyster profile and it should work.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Not working for AmEx though, I believe. In my case it certainly isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.