Day Trips From London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day Trips From London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Day trips I enjoyed tremendously and that fit your criteria include Oxford, Canterbury, Windsor and Bath. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Bath Spa is around 2 hours by train from Paddington.
... great scenery and tour of the finest Victorian structural engineering as well as travel aboard the finest passenger trains ever built [1] included with every train ticket.

[1] While HST services last. Passenger opinions may vary. Experience not quite so good since the HSTs were all re-engined and the Valenta engines replaced with some mediocre growlers.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you're spending 2 hours getting to Bath, you could also instead hop on a Eurostar and visit Lille in about the same time! You can easily walk from the station to the old town, which has loads of great restaurants and bars, plus historic flemish-style buildings. There's several good art museums, a small but free zoo, remains of a castle etc.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Happy to find this thread. We will be in London in May 2016.

What have you heard about the Eurostar to Paris with lunch on the Eiffel Tower followed by a Sienne river cruise? We were thinking about doing that on my birthday.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:49 pm

Windsor, Hampton Court, and Greenwich are easy day trips by train. I prefer a boat TO Greenwich and the Dicklands light rail back to Tower Hill, though you can take the train to Greenwich.
Windsor is my favorite.
You can also do Oxford and even Stratford on Avon.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Windsor, Hampton Court, and Greenwich are easy day trips by train. I prefer a boat TO Greenwich and the Dicklands light rail back to Tower Hill, though you can take the train to Greenwich.
Windsor is my favorite.
You can also do Oxford and even Stratford on Avon.
Eh? Greenwich is part of London....just look at the tube map It's a nice enough place to visit but probably not the "day trip" the OP is looking for.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MarTN
Happy to find this thread. We will be in London in May 2016.

What have you heard about the Eurostar to Paris with lunch on the Eiffel Tower followed by a Sienne river cruise? We were thinking about doing that on my birthday.
Lunch in Paris via Eurostar is very doable. I've done it quite a few times myself - or indeed gone the other way and popped over to London for lunch when I was living in Paris.

Personally I'd avoid lunching at the Eiffel Tower and the Seine cruise because it's tourist hell but it's your birthday so do what makes you happy!

But as an alternative, you could lunch at Chez Julien in the 4th. It's "typically French" then enjoy a stroll over the Seine to Ile de la Cite/Notre Dame/St Michel etc or have a wander through the Marais.

http://www.chezjulien.paris/
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Bicester Shopping Village - 21st Century Pillage

60 Miles out of London, we came to Bicester Shopping Village
What a glorious sunny day, amidst British tillage
Driving here was part of our voyage.
Designer Outlet Goods, stocked in many a cottage

Polo, Ralph Lauren, Prada & Ferragamo
Intense shopping by Arab, Indian, Chinese supremo
Watch the world go by, sipping my cappuccino
Wondering why no Russian and Latino

Life aint' fair, I can't afford a Gucci
My wife understands, she still gives me a smoochie
At least back home we have mangosteen and lychee
While I relax and focus on my tai-chi

60 Miles out of London, we came to Bicester Shopping Village
What a glorious sunny day it was, amidst British tillage
Visa/Mastercard, no swords - 21st Century pillage
Thank God for a holiday, what a great privilege!
LOL. Just saw this. Only good thing about the Bicester Shopping Village is the Jaime Oliver food cart. Tasty
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
LOL. Just saw this. Only good thing about the Bicester Shopping Village is the Jaime Oliver food cart. Tasty
Used to love going there but the last 3 or 4 times, parking has been horrible as there isn't enough. Shops are too busy. Some of them even enforce queuing outside. Too many tourist coaches making the place just too busy and not an enjoyable experience whatever bargains you may find.

It is just shopping after all.

Only saving grace is you can earn Avios on all your purchases if you take your receipts into the visitor centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.