Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

A bit confused on LHR terminal transfers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

If we arrive at Terminal 1 and we are going to the Sofitel @ T5

Do we take an inter-terminal bus or the Heathrow Express?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Hopefully you arrive there shortly, as T1 is closing quite soon!

When you get to T1, follow the normal Arrivals flow. Go through immigration, get your bag, go through customs. Follow the signs for the Heathrow Express and Underground. If you have an Oyster card or suitable Contactless card, the Underground is free between the terminals, and more frequent than the HEX, so I'd say take that to T5. If not, take the HEX to T5 for free. On arrival at T5, go to the Arrivals level (not departures) then follow signs to the Sofitel
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:44 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Hopefully you arrive there shortly, as T1 is closing quite soon!
I really am a bit confused...it is Terminal 3.

And out flight is from France so I don't think I need customs and immigration. Or do I?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by david4455
I really am a bit confused...it is Terminal 3.
T3 is also in the 'Central Area' - which includes the rebuilt T2 and the soon to close T1 (as discussed above).

The text above still applies - follow normal arrivals flow.
Once landside follow signs for Heathrow Express or London Underground. The terminals in the central area (T1,2,3) share common stations for both of these. So you will walk by underground walkway to reach the respective station.
The Heathrow Express is free for inter terminal transfer - no cards required,
The Underground is also free for inter-terminal transfer, and is more frequent, but you need an 'oyster' travel pass or a 'contactless' payment credit card to use it free for this.

Both of these will take you to T5, which is the west of the central area, further away from London and the end of the line.

And out flight is from France so I don't think I need customs and immigration. Or do I?
You will go through immigration.

Although France and the UK are both part of the European Union, the UK (along with Ireland and some other places) is not part of the 'Schengen Area' - and it is this area removes border controls for immigration purposes.

Indeed there are non-EU countries like Switzerland that ARE part of the Schengen area, just like there are EU countries - such as the UK - that are not part of schengen.

When going through customs, and assuming you began your journey in France, you can walk through the blue exit - as you originated inside the European Common Customs Area (another area, again slightly different from the EU, but that both UK AND France are both part of). However it doesn't make much difference vs the green channel.
As normal for customs in Europe, in both cases you just keep walking - if they want to talk to you they will appear and ask you to stop, it is virtually all intelligence led. (Obviously go to red if you do actually have something to declare).

Last edited by David-A; Jun 23, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.