Wiki Posts
Search

Departure gate log or history?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Departure gate log or history?

Hi guys,

I've been hunting around for some info, but can't find what I need anywhere.

Is there such a thing as a historical log of departure gates for flights? At the moment I don't mind which airport or airline (more the better), but just a starting point would be useful.

This is for a piece of research work.

I know there are APIs from various places that purport to give live (or close to live) departure gate details. That doesn't interest me as it is only a snapshot on a per flight basis.

What I'm looking for is a log / bulk history of departure gates. Seems like something someone has probably compiled / compiles.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am not aware of any online dataset freely available, sorry.

If it is for bone-fida research have you tried contacting any airport operators directly? I have previously worked on a project where we needed this level of detail for a period of time. My understanding was that the operator had to specifically save this data for us, which implies that this information isn't routinely saved for prosperity; not by the operator at least.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: MUCCI
I noticed you have posted in the UK & Ireland section, but you say you don't mind which airport.

Does it have to be a UK & Ireland airport? - Do note that convention differs a lot around the world - and airport to airport. In the UK it is very rare for flights to go from the same gates, the airports are just too busy, that it becomes very random.

There will be certain gate groups used recurrently, but not specific gates.

The situation in many big airports in the USA is different I believe, with specific flights usually going from the same gates.

If you don't need UK or Ireland date, I'd encourage you to look for data sets that may be available in the USA. Far more likely to find a data set that is (1) available, and (2) has some consistency in it.
A UK dataset would give you nothing.

Also, regardless of where it is, keep in mind airport configuration, some gates will be domestic, some international, some may do both. And some gates will accept only smaller aircraft, some small and large.
This will impose constraints.

No idea what your research is though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.