Reload this Page >

US Preclearance may be expanded to LHR, MAN and 8 other airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Preclearance may be expanded to LHR, MAN and 8 other airports

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Why can't I delete this...?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:45 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by Often1
Mixing cleared and uncleared passengers defeats the underlying purpose of the process.
I noticed when flying LCY-SNN-JFK that they mix cleared and uncleared passengers at SNN after US immigration. Or at least that was my perception as I didn't ask any of the other passengers in the terminal where they were flying to.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Although I love the idea of this as a Londoner (assuming arriving at the terminal 2 hours prior to the flight was still possible) I can't see how it works for hub operations. If it extends the transfer time for all of BA's flights I can't see them thinking this is a good idea.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:24 am

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....curity-9370929

Already confirmed for Manchester....

£1bn expansion project with enhanced security, U.S. pre-clearance and the eventual closure of T1, with a link between an expanded and revamped T2/T3.

Last edited by Y29M; Jun 2, 2015 at 4:57 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Y29M

£1bn expansion project with enhanced security, U.S. preclearace and the eventual closure of T1, with a link between an expanded and revamped T2/T3.
"off peak security queues to just five minutes"

Talk about a lack of ambition

Edit: Sorry, I'll try to be positive. Good for MAN.

Pre-clearance is jumping the gun, it'll require a treaty with the USA.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Y29M

£1bn expansion project with enhanced security, U.S. preclearace and the eventual closure of T1, with a link between an expanded and revamped T2/T3.
MAN is very similar to DUB and the ideal case for pre-clearance in the UK: negligible transfer traffic; a reasonable number of US flights with enough traffic to justify a pre-clearance facility but not so much that it results in major logistical difficulties. Heathrow would be a completely different kettle of fish.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
MAN is very similar to DUB and the ideal case for pre-clearance in the UK: negligible transfer traffic; a reasonable number of US flights with enough traffic to justify a pre-clearance facility but not so much that it results in major logistical difficulties. Heathrow would be a completely different kettle of fish.
I agree
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:52 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Willie Walsh was asked about this last week in a conference call on the Aer Lingus takeover, and he said it was "highly unlikely" at LHR due to the infrastructure, and heathrow would require massive investment to do it which basically isn't going to happen, so I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about it.
The conference call is on IAG website.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Wasn't preclerance discussed (or even trialled) at LHR over a decade ago but BAA didn't like it as it would cut into duty-free sales?
I believe it was that, and it was also the lack of inexpensive and decent housing within reasonable reach of LHR that made it unworkable. Apparently all of the places that were cheap enough and nearby to LHR were also undesirable to live in. Those that were desirable were far too expensive.

Well knock me over.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Having gone through pre-clearance at DUB yesterday, I could see this working at T2 for UA operations there with fairly minimal extra expense. UA already operates exclusively out of T2B and its lounge is already on a different level of T2B from the passenger concourse.

A new pre-clearance area could be built as a mezzanine level in T2B and it would squirt cleared passengers off at, perhaps, the North end of the Terminal. This would be divided from the rest by a movable glass partition, depending upon how many gates are needed at one time. UA only has about 18 or 20 flights a day so probably needs no more than 5 or 6 gates at any one time. The partition could then be opened completely if those gates are needed after 6pm when the last US-bound flight departs.

Depending upon whether UA were permitted to use the lounge post-clearance, or were required to use it pre-clearance (I'm thinking fresh food issues), as it's already on that mezzanine level, the passageways could easily be re-configured.

Connecting traffic would not be an issue here as they would simply use the same channels as today, and be injected into T2 in the same places.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by NickB
I also agree. The MAN plan looks good and hopefully a very positive step for the region, particularly if it encourages more direct flights to the US.

However for the reasons above I'm very sceptical about pre-clearance at LHR anytime soon. Like others I'd rather the CBP continued to improve things Stateside rather than make the (already difficult) security experience at LHR even worse. The new self-service receipt system for ESTA users is certainly helping, but it's still pot luck how long you wait.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I don't know why people like this.

Without pre-clearance, you dedicate exactly as much time as is necessary for immigration/customs formalities - the time from when you get on line at immigration after you land, until you walk out of the customs hall.

With pre-clearance, you never know how long it will take you to get through, so you must allow extra time to be safe, so you are spending more time at the airport.
I like it because for me, typically, a TATL flight is an all-day writeoff irrespective of when it leaves because of my distance from LHR. Therefore getting there a little earlier is no real problem.

On the flip-side, being able to leave the airport as soon as possible after de-planing is a huge plus once arriving in the US, especially after a long day and a long flight.

I flew EI to BOS last year via DUB and pre-clearance was absolutely excellent - it nicely occupied the time between connecting flights and meant I was on the rental shuttle minutes after getting off the plane.

I'm really looking forward to standing in the immigration hall at LAX for 2 hours in a couple of months time at 4am UK time having spent 12 hours on a flight from LHR after being up all day. Not.

Bring on the pre-clearance!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I like it because for me, typically, a TATL flight is an all-day writeoff irrespective of when it leaves because of my distance from LHR. Therefore getting there a little earlier is no real problem.
Manchester seems pretty confident they will get preclearance, this might be more convenient for you.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Manchester seems pretty confident they will get preclearance, this might be more convenient for you.
True, but MAN's Achilles Heel is the lack of destinations in the US. It's grim changing and being stuck on a ghetto US domestic flight unless you really have to.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:43 am

I don't know if I like this idea. It reduces the viability of Dublin as a hub and its uniqueness.

There are only so many airports that can do it before it becomes a disadvantage. Not liking the sound of Manchester becoming a preclearance airport.

I feel like the US government is kicking Ireland in the teeth after all these years of having US preclearance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.