Wiki Posts
Search

Advice retransportation: LHR-DT Westminister

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Advice retransportation: LHR-DT Westminister

My wife and I are arriving LHR Terminal 2 on a Wednesday at 5:40 PM. We will each have a large suitcase and a conforming airplane-sized roll-aboard. So, four pieces in all.

Many of the older threads regarding transit are quite dated and not very specific re our circumstances, so wondering whether anyone can offer knowledgeable advice regarding best transit options.

The options seem to be:

1. Taxi
2. Advance Car Hire
3. Uber
4. Heathrow Express followed by Taxi

Seeking recommendations. Main concern is reliability, and making sure that luggage fits into the vehicle. Secondary concern is not paying excessively, but do not mind a premium for convenience.

Thank you for your thoughts and/or referrals....
Old May 14, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
We just used this company for transfers between Heathrow and Gatwick. They were on time both trips and we were quite pleased with the service. They were also considerably less than the estimated taxi fares I got (we paid 55 GBP each way) Looks like Heathrow to Westminster for a Saloon, which is what we used and might work for you, is 41 GBP and for an MPV, which would surely work for you, is 56 GBP.

http://heathrow-gatwick-transfers.com/home.aspx
Old May 14, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
This thread has posts from the last couple of weeks. Start at the last page and work back. The recommended services that I and others have used are listed there.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...cussion-8.html
With two bags apiece I would just choose uber or one of the car services listed.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:06 am

Assuming "DT" is DoubleTree rather than Daily Telegraph I would take the Piccadilly Line to Hyde Park Corner then taxi from there.

A fraction of the cost of any of the other options and quicker.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:08 am

Duplicate
Old May 15, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The HEx followed by a taxi is the most comfortable way, and will be fairly quick too.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Genius1
The HEx followed by a taxi is the most comfortable way, and will be fairly quick too.
If you have your wife with you, however, the minicab tariff ex-LHR is comparable to two HeX tickets and avoids the sometimes laborious Paddington taxi rank. Happy wife, happy life.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The other problem with the HEX is that it's quite a tedious schlep from T2. I'd either go partway on the Tube (actually, no, I wouldn't with two cases apiece), or all the way on a pre-booked car service or Uber.

Keep timing in mind, too. Early evening is relatively calm at T2 IME, so you may be out pretty quickly... And right into the rush hour. Yes, you're going against the flow for the first part, but you may catch the tail end of it as you hit the surface streets past Hammersmith.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I often go into London on the M4 at that time of the afternoon and, whilst technically it may be against the flow, it doesn't seem like it. It will be jammed as you enter the road and it will likely be slow getting onto the Chiswick flyover. After that, IME, it should be not too bad.

From T2, I always use the tube, even with suitcases. To Westminster, I would get on at T2 (lifts to platform), change to the District Line at Hammersmith and get off at Westminster (lifts to street level).
Old May 16, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are arriving off a short flight, are fit, confident and the cases aren't too big then the tube might be an option though it is often crowded, hot and very slow. If off a long haul with big bags then a prebooked car would be best to minimise hassle.

Personally I would do HEX plus Uber as the best combination of speed, comfort and good reliability.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
If you are arriving off a short flight, are fit, confident and the cases aren't too big then the tube might be an option though it is often crowded, hot and very slow. If off a long haul with big bags then a prebooked car would be best to minimise hassle.

Personally I would do HEX plus Uber as the best combination of speed, comfort and good reliability.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Swanhunter really got my attention: We will be arriving after about 24 hours of long-haul travel and two overnighters. I guess the "often crowded, hot and very slow" description got me. BearX220 admonition re happy wife too!

Which prebooked services with plenty of space for luggage do you use?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 16, 2015, 11:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Swanhunter really got my attention: We will be arriving after about 24 hours of long-haul travel and two overnighters. I guess the "often crowded, hot and very slow" description got me. BearX220 admonition re happy wife too!

Which prebooked services with plenty of space for luggage do you use?

Thanks in advance!
I use simplyairports.co.uk or justairports.com. Both are approx the same price and the least expensive I've found. Simplyairports seem a bit less strict about luggage. I book an estate car, and the last several times they've sent an mpv, so luggage was not a problem.

DT Westminister is a bit of a walk from the nearest tube station, which I think is Pimlico, so I wouldn't attempt it w/ luggage and wife.
Old May 19, 2015, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'd take the Tube (Piccadilly Line) to Hammersmith, change directly across the platform to the District Line. Get off at Victoria or Westminster and take a taxi (or uber) to the DT Westminster.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
As a frequent visitor to London, I second the recommendations for the tube followed by a taxi from your station to your hotel. "Crowded" won't affect you when you get on, since the trains start at LHR. If it gets crowded later, as it probably will, that won't be your problem. "Very slow?" Probably still faster than any kind of surface travel. And "hot?" Maybe. You said you're arriving on a Wednesday, but you didn't say which one. Wednesdays in August tend to be hotter than Wednesdays in January.
Old May 19, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After 24 hours travel including 2 overnights (as quoted by the OP) I would want the quickest, easiest and most comfortable way of getting to the hotel. The Piccadilly line is not that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.