Search

Surprise trip and train ticket to Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Surprise trip and train ticket to Gatwick

Hi All,

I'm sorry about the OT, but I don't know where else to ask. We'll be flying BA after all!

I'm taking someone on a surprise trip tomorrow. He doesn't know we'll be flying and my plan is to make him believe we're going to Brighton, as conveniently the Thameslink service to Brighton stops at Gatwick first.

In order for him not to suspect anything, I would like to buy train tickets to Brighton and get off at Gatwick instead.

The question is: would we be allowed to go through the ticket barriers at Gatwick if we hold a ticket to Brighton?

The alternative and fairly cheap option is to buy a second ticket from East Croydon to Gatwick and use that one to get off at the airport.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:17 am

Yes you can. I've done it before with my season ticket.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simons1
Yes you can. I've done it before with my season ticket.
Through the automatic gates or by showing your ticket to a member of staff?
Old May 14, 2015, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
Through the automatic gates or by showing your ticket to a member of staff?

The gates.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think you can only do this if you don't get a cheap advance fare since that won't allow a break during the journey - whether the ticket and barrier are technically advanced to recognise that and stop you if you try is another thing.

When you buy the ticket look for one that allows breaks in the journey. Have a look at the ticket descriptions on trainline or FCC's website to see which ones they are.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think you can only do this if you don't get a cheap advance fare since that won't allow a break during the journey - whether the ticket and barrier are technically advanced to recognise that and stop you if you try is another thing.

When you buy the ticket look for one that allows breaks in the journey. Have a look at the ticket descriptions on trainline or FCC's website to see which ones they are.
The barriers are clever enough to recognise tickets which don't allow a break of journey.

Any day single or return on that particular route will allow a break of journey so you'll be fine. All season tickets allow a break of journey. Just don't buy an Advance ticket.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! I'm planning to buy a single off-peak ticket, so I'll be covered! Quite proud of my cunning plan!
Old May 14, 2015, 4:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
The barriers are clever enough to recognise tickets which don't allow a break of journey.
Thanks for confirming.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Quite proud of my cunning plan!
I think it's a lovely idea - I hope you both have a great trip and the surprise element goes according to plan!! ^
Old May 14, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Are you flying abroad? If so, remind your friend that (s)he now needs their passport to visit Brighton
Old May 14, 2015, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Are you flying abroad? If so, remind your friend that (s)he now needs their passport to visit Brighton
I'm planning to take the passport with me and take it out just when he thinks we're screwed.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Paralytic
That's actually almost true.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/s...-brighton-hove
Old May 14, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Good luck with your surprise ^

A trip report of sorts would be welcome on your return. Where are you actually off to?

How did your friend react? Did they have suspicions?
Old May 14, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Or you could buy two tickets: XXX-Gatwick (advanced) and Gatwick-Brighton (flexible so that you can cancel when you are in Gatwick) and say to your other half that it is cheaper to do that than a single ticket...lol
Old May 14, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC

The alternative and fairly cheap option is to buy a second ticket from East Croydon to Gatwick and use that one to get off at the airport.
Well, the OP seems sorted, but a helpful hint to other travellers training to LGW (or GTW as National Rail knows it), it will almost always be cheaper to buy a ticket from London (or north of/further than London) to East Croydon (Zone 5), and then buy a second ticket from East Croydon to LGW. Through tickets to LGW are nearly always more expensive.

An anytime single from East Croydon to Gatwick is £4.50 on Thameslink. Just make sure that your chosen train actually stops at East Croydon. Off Peak, a single oyster journey from London to East Croydon is only £3 I think, although if you use an oyster, you'll have to actually get off at East Croydon, exit through the barriers to swipe out, then get the next LGW train. A paper ticket will probably be around £5.

From West Hampsted, this method normally saves around a fiver off each one way journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.