Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever been made to turn on an electronic device at LHR security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone ever been made to turn on an electronic device at LHR security?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
In my fifty or so trips through LHR in the last year, I have been asked once, in January, in the airbridge boarding a flight to North America.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Jamier45
On my LHR-JFK flight I was stopped at the gate and asked to turn everything on including my electric toothbrush!
This can only happen at LHR. Some months ago they confiscated a small bottle with a disinfectant spray at LHR T3 because the contents of the bottle was not clearly printed. I explained that it was clear that the contents was not exceeding 100ml and that I had bought the bottle in Sydney two years ago and traveled around the world with it in handbagage without any problem. The lady then told me then that I needed anyway a presciption from a doctor to bring it through security. I then wished her a very bad day and left the security area. I wonder where they find some of these security guys at LHR.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Be careful; sometimes smart aleck behavior can result in reciprocal punitive extended searches. I'd say you were lucky this time.
I know, that is why I spoke to a male security guy, I would never do this with a female agent, the chances for punitive action would be too great!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Never been asked to turn anything on and 95% of my trips are to the US.

Used to have all sorts of problems tho with electronics and other electrical devices, but after many secondary screenings and establishing why, have pretty much been free from holdups.

I end up using about 7 trays (like a few others on here, IIRC) and although its a bit of a hassle, its much quicker. Electrics all in one bag evenly spaced out and first tray in. So even if its stopped, its normally waiting for me for the agent to go through.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This topic was originally posted in the BA section of FlyerTalk, however, as LHR T3 is used by multiple airlines and the topic is not specifically BA or BAEC, it has been moved to the UK forum to open the topic to a wider audience.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Once at the gate, never at security. I fly quite a bit, and with several gadgets (including an external battery that always seems to raise eyebrows).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.