Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on marrying a Scot and living IN Scotland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

My fiance and I have been apart for two years this week, and I am trying to find a way to move there legally, and relatively painlessly.

The UKBA is atrocious.

I just want to go. I'm even considering working as a teacher of English to get there.

Any suggestions, or how to on cheap airfares ?

I want to be able to move around freely throughout Europe.

Thanks!

Michael
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Ummmmm why haven't you gotten married in the last two years?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Who knows where the OP is from but it sounds as though the UKBA is doing its job. Marriage (not a sham marriage) changes the picture.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:44 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the UK Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm no expert on the Scottish economy, but I suspect that Scotland already has plenty of locals who at least believe they could teach English.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You and your fiancee should consult a proper immigration lawyer rather than asking on an internet board related to travel.

If you haven't done so yet then why on earth not - you've lost two years of the process!

You need to comply with all the UK Immigration regulations as administered by the UKBA (which is now called UK Visas and Immigration).

These are now tighter than in the past and are getting stricter. Unless you are a worker in a skill shortage field then forget about a working visa as you won't get a visa and an employer won't waste one of their allocations on you.

Unless your fiancee has the £££ to support you that's another avenue closed off to you.

DO NOT try and enter the UK under false pretences i.e. via tourist visa and then try and stay on. This includes coming for a 'holiday' and trying to marry whilst you are in the UK.

But is this post for real or are you just asking random questions without coming back to answer questions like you did in your other thread??

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...us-my-dog.html
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Nope.

It's totally real.

He can't support me financially, but I would be able to live with him.

My goal is to marry and settle..legally.

I'm not wealthy. Just in love.

It sucks.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

And thanks for being such a lovely person.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:48 pm

Either of your parents or grandparents born in any of the EEC countries?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm no expert on the Scottish economy, but I suspect that Scotland already has plenty of locals who at least believe they could teach English.
LOL...good one!!!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:21 pm

What's keeping him from moving to the States? Why have you not married?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You and your fiancee should consult a proper immigration lawyer rather than asking on an internet board related to travel.

If you haven't done so yet then why on earth not - you've lost two years of the process!

You need to comply with all the UK Immigration regulations as administered by the UKBA (which is now called UK Visas and Immigration).

These are now tighter than in the past and are getting stricter. Unless you are a worker in a skill shortage field then forget about a working visa as you won't get a visa and an employer won't waste one of their allocations on you.

Unless your fiancee has the £££ to support you that's another avenue closed off to you.

DO NOT try and enter the UK under false pretences i.e. via tourist visa and then try and stay on. This includes coming for a 'holiday' and trying to marry whilst you are in the UK.

But is this post for real or are you just asking random questions without coming back to answer questions like you did in your other thread??

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...us-my-dog.html
Even after you pointed it out, the OP has yet to return to the thread to answer questions.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I had a Scottish friend with a PhD from Cambridge who was required to take a test of English as a Foreign Language in order to get a student visa for the US.

After hearing him talk with a few single malts in him, I began to understand why.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I had a Scottish friend with a PhD from Cambridge who was required to take a test of English as a Foreign Language in order to get a student visa for the US.
This reminds me of my (English) niece's first day at a very exclusive college in New England. She was asked by a puzzled freshman whether they spoke French in England.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
She was asked by a puzzled freshman whether they spoke French in England.
I discovered last night that my local MP does in fact speak French, but I suspect that wasn't quite the sense the questioner had in mind ;-)

(Living in a marginal ward in a marginal constituency, our local MP pops round to say hello and drop off leaflets etc fairly often, which tends to surprise visiting friends from "safe" seats! And those from abroad. MP did pretty well when the front door was answered by a slightly confused native french speaker!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.