Search

Overnight layover at LHR - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Overnight layover at LHR - ideas?

Hi all,
I have a flight coming up that involves an overnight stop at LHR. Will be arriving T5 at 8 pm on a monday evening, flying out at 9.30 the next morning. Have booked a room at the Premier Inn T5.
My question is basically if there is any point at all in travelling in to central London at that time, or if there is anything interesting in terms of a nice dinner and a couple of pints in that area near northside Heathrow/Bath Road? Not looking for night clubs or such, but would rather not just spend the evening at the hotel.
As far as I've found on Google Maps, there is a pub/restaurant called the White Horse Inn near the hotel, is that any good?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Your "what do in X hours layover at LHR" has been asked and answers provided myriad times.
Suggest you try doing a search before posting. Here's a very small sample.
"LHR layover" = http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ht=lhr+LAYOVER
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ht=lhr+LAYOVER
Old Feb 7, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Understood, and I have.
I apologize that my post may have sounded more general "what to do near LHR" than I meant. I wasn't able to find any opinions about the White Horse pub near my hotel, which was one reason I asked.
Another was that I didn't find any specific information about travelling to and from London city late in the evening, but perhaps I just didn't search with the right words.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by KurtOlsson
I wasn't able to find any opinions about the White Horse pub near my hotel, which was one reason I asked.
There are numerous reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Not sure why there's so much hostility...

If your flight lands at 8pm then in all reality it'll be some time past 9pm before you get to your room.

Flip that round and with a 9.30am departure, you're going to have to be out the door by 7.30am at the latest - Heathrow is increasingly enforcing conformance deadlines at the boarding pass check before security.

Premier Inn's tend to do reasonable enough food in house. It's not going to win a Michelin star, but it's not exactly going to kill you, either.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Not sure why there's so much hostility...

If your flight lands at 8pm then in all reality it'll be some time past 9pm before you get to your room.

Flip that round and with a 9.30am departure, you're going to have to be out the door by 7.30am at the latest - Heathrow is increasingly enforcing conformance deadlines at the boarding pass check before security.

Premier Inn's tend to do reasonable enough food in house. It's not going to win a Michelin star, but it's not exactly going to kill you, either.
Thanks Tony. I have never stayed at a Premier before, but that sounds good. Will probably do just that, a quick bite and a beer, and an early bedtime.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hi all,
I have a flight coming up that involves an overnight stop at LHR. Will be arriving T5 at 8 pm on a monday evening, flying out at 9.30 the next morning. Have booked a room at the Premier Inn T5.
My question is basically if there is any point at all in travelling in to central London at that time, or if there is anything interesting in terms of a nice dinner and a couple of pints in that area near northside Heathrow/Bath Road? Not looking for night clubs or such, but would rather not just spend the evening at the hotel.
As far as I've found on Google Maps, there is a pub/restaurant called the White Horse Inn near the hotel, is that any good?
Thanks for any advice!
I do a lot of overnights at LHR hotels, often coming in on the last ARN/CPH/OSL flight of the evening and then flying out on the morning batch of flights to the US. As a US passport holder, with checked luggage at times, and sometimes using the Heathrow Hoppa or public free buses for hotels in/near the "free zone" in one or both directions, I end up having as little as 5 hours at my LHR hotels to as much as 10-13 hours even when my scheduled layover at LHR is 11-15 hours.

The only reason I would even consider going into Central London at night on such journeys would be to meet friends/family/go out; and all that only with the idea being that I would sleep well on my US-bound flight in the morning to get some sleep value out of my business class ticket. Generally, I would avoid going to Central London on such layovers, and would otherwise avoid it like the plague.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I do a lot of overnights at LHR hotels, often coming in on the last ARN/CPH/OSL flight of the evening and then flying out on the morning batch of flights to the US. As a US passport holder, with checked luggage at times, and sometimes using the Heathrow Hoppa or public free buses for hotels in/near the "free zone" in one or both directions, I end up having as little as 5 hours at my LHR hotels to as much as 10-13 hours even when my scheduled layover at LHR is 11-15 hours.

The only reason I would even consider going into Central London at night on such journeys would be to meet friends/family/go out; and all that only with the idea being that I would sleep well on my US-bound flight in the morning to get some sleep value out of my business class ticket. Generally, I would avoid going to Central London on such layovers, and would otherwise avoid it like the plague.
Thanks GU. Yeah, on second thoughts I'll just stay put at LHR. I rarely get to visit London these days, but I guess it would be way to much hassle and money just for a couple of drinks in the city and then back to LHR.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks GU. Yeah, on second thoughts I'll just stay put at LHR. I rarely get to visit London these days, but I guess it would be way to much hassle and money just for a couple of drinks in the city and then back to LHR.
If you decide to do a Central London night visit, consider staying at a hotel close to a station with express/direct service to Heathrow. Paddington Station area hotels, for example. But the hotel and transport cost differences will make the night more expensive (in time and money) by a substantial chunk.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
I'm not sure if I'm too late or not here but if you decide to hang around LHR - I find that the Sofitel is a good place to grab a few drinks - bit better than the Premier Inn (I would imagine).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.