Search

Advice on a bench warrant

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Markie
Odd then that I keep seeing people in Court arrested at Stansted for an outstanding UK warrant.
The UK uses APIS to grab people it wants on arrival at UK airports. Also, while I can't speak to STN, at some UK and other EU airports there has been some FRT used to pick people out in crowds and grab wanted persons even when passport control has not scanned the passport of the wanted persons.

Companies are selling this stuff to governments/airports:

http://news.cnet.com/Can-face-recogn..._3-275313.html

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 9, 2015 at 2:58 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Crikey. Aside from getting it sorted out I would not take the risk no matter what people told me about "do they, don't they". He is not a Premier League footballer is he ?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Well that sounds serious enough, what with a probably sexual assault charge. I think you've answered your initial question.

(For what it's worth my comment above saying "where do I start" was directed at Andy33's, erm, naivety in thinking that since 1923 there may have been a state of happy co-operation between the UK & ROI authorities. But the division of Ireland has a very long, complicated and involved history, and furthermore is something of an aside to the original question.)
My "naivety" is perhaps less you think. having friends and family on both sides of the ROI/NI border. At the level of immigration/customs/police officers there was and is a lot of co-operation, often openly, sometimes unofficially. At governmental level more or less at times the further back you go, though I've heard no suggestions that since the 1990s they don't co-operate on this sort of matter.

Since the UK uses APIS, if the ROI has informed the UK the OP's brother is wanted, immigration and police will certainly be able to intercept him. Whether they actually do depends on if a warrant has been issued that's enforceable in the UK (eg extradition or European Arrest), or if there is enough time between his details showing up on APIS and actual entry clearance for the ROI to produce such a warrant.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Originally Posted by nadoos
If we were to have an idea of what the guy did, we might be able to give it a better guess.

The guy was charged with threatening and abusive behaviour in a public place
Namely, indecent exposure in a night club with a probability of an additional
Charge of sexual assault.
Jesus are we actually helping this guys "brother"??

Why don't you tell your pal to stop trying to dodge a warrant which is what anyone with an actual sense of morality would do?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ferg01

Why don't you tell your pal to stop trying to dodge a warrant which is what anyone with an actual sense of morality would do?
I did try and help him - see post #6 - by telling him this

rather than gallivanting around the world your brother needs to get this case sorted out. You would be a better brother to him by telling him that rather than trying to find ways for him to avoid dealing with it.
OP has not been back since 8th Feb. I don't think he will be back.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I did try and help him - see post #6 - by telling him this

OP has not been back since 8th Feb. I don't think he will be back.
Yes - sorry, you're quite right. My post was intended to be more a comment on the general thread than on specific responses. Apologies, I have never seen red like that before on a flyertalk forum.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yes - sorry, you're quite right. My post was intended to be more a comment on the general thread than on specific responses. Apologies, I have never seen red like that before on a flyertalk forum.
The cure for that is to visit the BAEC forum.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:28 am
Suspended

With the UK getting a deal to do what it wants with Schengen information systems data, increased Irish cooperation, and the MEPs jumping on board a mass surveillance system of airline passengers, things will be tightening up significantly unless managing to avoid FRT flagging AND/or using a passport or national ID in a fraudulent manner.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No worries.

There does seem to be a tendency for people on FT to start to suggest ways around a problem when in reality some blunt speaking is needed.

You'll gather I'm in the latter camp!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The cure for that is to visit the BAEC forum.
You mean the "BA doesn't serve diet Sprite on long-haul, I'm never flying this crappy airline again!" forum?

Or the "as long as you don't arrive dead, you should be grateful, let me tell you about how hard I had it as a wee lad in Glasgow" forum?

Oh, I could go on
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:36 am
Suspended

Many people think it is moral for the public to know about the surveillance/monitoring/spying capabilities of their home government(s) and/or any and all host governments relevant to the free individuals and the travels of free individuals.

I don't find that the communication of information is moral or immoral in and of itself. Making (or keeping) the public ignorant of governmental capabilities to track and control the public seems an antithesis to a healthy, democratic society that not only respects individual liberties but also actively protects them from being undermined from within or without.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Many people think it is moral for the public to know about the surveillance/monitoring/spying capabilities of their home government(s) and/or any and all host governments relevant to the free individuals and the travels of free individuals.

I don't find that the communication of information is moral or immoral in and of itself. Making (or keeping) the public ignorant of governmental capabilities to track and control the public seems an antithesis to a healthy, democratic society that not only respects individual liberties but also actively protects them from being undermined from within or without.
I didn't realise Edward Snowden was an FTer...

There's a marked difference between the simply the communication of information and providing it to help someone around a warrant.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:05 am

How exactly are you defining morality? On the proviso that you aren't hurting others, I'd personally label self-preservation as incredibly moral.

Don't get me wrong, there does need to be consequences for breaking laws - and if he ever turns up in Ireland I'd agree he should be arrested - but I think your desire for him to be arrested is more along the lines of vengeance (no doubt dressed up as "justice") than morality.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:18 am

Hmm, good point. I suppose I was referring to morality in the sense that you should hold yourself to account for your actions. Dodging a warrant / self preservation is indeed probably something we would all think about in this situation but that doesn't make it less wrong and doesn't invalidate my response.

I would say that your proviso is not applicable in this instance given the charge involved.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:04 am

Hmm, good point. I suppose I was referring to morality in the sense that you should hold yourself to account for your actions. Dodging a warrant / self preservation is indeed probably something we would all think about in this situation but that doesn't make it less wrong and doesn't invalidate my response.

I would say that your proviso is not applicable in this instance given the charge involved.
Who says they aren't "holding themselves to account"? It doesn't necessarily make it "right" to dodge a warrant, but I still don't think it's immoral.

I don't see how you could possibly say that without knowing the exact charge. Though how do you think not submitting to an Irish court is harming other people in this scenario?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.