Wiki Posts
Search

1.2 hr connection T3 to T3 in LHR AA to BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

1.2 hr connection T3 to T3 in LHR AA to BA

hello and sorry if wrong forum...
Have a 1 hr 20 minutes connection in LHR arriving T3 from LAX on AA and connecting to Vienna on BA (departs T3 as well)
is it safe to check luggage? It is beginning of business trip and only one night in VIE before moving by land to LJU....
There is a later LHR VIE as well if luggage misconnect but don't want to deal with that
would hate to loose luggage but tight for carry on
any advice?
tks
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: United
1 hour 20 minutes should be enough time for your luggage and connection. The whole itinerary is Oneworld so BA will rebook you onto the later flight in case of a delay. I've always considered 1 hour to be enough time between flights at LHR, especially when staying in the same terminal.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:29 pm

I just got back from a London connection.. it was a horrific mess
took me exactly 2 hours to clear security after arrival on top of
a 20 minute taxi to gate.. Unless the ground staff helps you
you are in for a rough ride.. also make sure the BA flight is departing
T-3 my understanding is all BA int'nl flts leave from T-5.
Good luck
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My advise in regard to the checked bag is to insist that the check-in agent at the T3 BA gate actively verify that your connecting bag has actually been loaded onto the VIE bound flight. Don't accept meaningless comments like "they would have notified us if there were any problems" ---- politely request that they input your luggage tag number and verify that the bag is actually on the airplane. Also note the gate agent's name, and the gate number, in case the bag doesn't appear at VIE. It's a PITA, but BA's record for not loading connecting luggage unfortunately makes this an absolute "requirement" for connecting passengers. [N.B., assurances from anyone but the gate agent, i.e. anyone at a transfer desk or in the lounge, are meaningless. Also, the same procedure is required, unfortunately, whether you take an immediate connection or a later one.]

Our last luggage handoff between AA to BA was a big fail --- but I doubt that it had anything at all to do with timing.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
My advise in regard to the checked bag is to insist that the check-in agent at the T3 BA gate actively verify that your connecting bag has actually been loaded onto the VIE bound flight. Don't accept meaningless comments like "they would have notified us if there were any problems" ---- politely request that they input your luggage tag number and verify that the bag is actually on the airplane. Also note the gate agent's name, and the gate number, in case the bag doesn't appear at VIE. It's a PITA, but BA's record for not loading connecting luggage unfortunately makes this an absolute "requirement" for connecting passengers. [N.B., assurances from anyone but the gate agent, i.e. anyone at a transfer desk or in the lounge, are meaningless. Also, the same procedure is required, unfortunately, whether you take an immediate connection or a later one.]

Our last luggage handoff between AA to BA was a big fail --- but I doubt that it had anything at all to do with timing.
tks, the reason I'm concerned is exactly because of what you say here
Last year we had 22 hrs connection between arrival from ZRH with BA and departure on AA to LAX and since we went to overnight in the city we did not take our luggage but sent it through, and of course it didn't arrive YVR, it took 3 days and 3 different flight patterns to get our luggage
so 23 hrs is too long for the luggage to be handed between airlines as it was probably in some blackhole for the day, but then what is too short?
In addition, any delay on arrival from LAX and bag is doomed even if I make it....
see what I mean?
Problem is if gate agent says bag is not loaded then it's up to you to decide if you stay and then it's a whole new issue..
I guess I ll see how packing goes and decide last minute at home
tks!!!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NAREN10216
Good luck
Hi
tks a lot
indeed this flight leaves from T3, very few BA flights do so as most leave from T5 as you say, but who knows if bags don't go to a central conveyor and then back to T3 again?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UnitedAMS
1 hour 20 minutes should be enough time for your luggage and connection. The whole itinerary is Oneworld so BA will rebook you onto the later flight in case of a delay. I've always considered 1 hour to be enough time between flights at LHR, especially when staying in the same terminal.
tks
I just checked LHR site and they note 70 minutes MCT for INT to INT within same terminal 3...
too close for my comfort, I have 80 mins...and its january.....
carry on it is then....
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by doug68
carry on it is then....
Carry on will simplify everything ---- except, of course, for liquids (and sharp items) which you'll have to leave at home. Hopefully you'll be able to find your favorite shampoo etc. either in VIE of LJU.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Carry on will simplify everything ---- except, of course, for liquids (and sharp items) which you'll have to leave at home. Hopefully you'll be able to find your favorite shampoo etc. either in VIE of LJU.
Huh? Doesn't LHR allow the 3-1-1 baggie with liquids? Don't they allow some sharp things, such as safety shavers and small manicure scissors? I would have assumed that BA and LHR rules are the same as TSA for such things, although I do know that SIN is stricter and prohibits all scissors through security.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by doug68
hello and sorry if wrong forum...
Have a 1 hr 20 minutes connection in LHR arriving T3 from LAX on AA and connecting to Vienna on BA (departs T3 as well)
Since questions about specific airports generally belong in the relevant destination forum, I've moved your post to the UK forum for further feedback.

Good luck, and safe travels!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Huh? Doesn't LHR allow the 3-1-1 baggie with liquids? Don't they allow some sharp things, such as safety shavers and small manicure scissors? I would have assumed that BA and LHR rules are the same as TSA for such things, although I do know that SIN is stricter and prohibits all scissors through security.
Similar, but more metric...

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...throw-security
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by NAREN10216
T5 is currently an epic fail for connections for a decent slug of the day. They're doing some work with is supposed to improve things, but we'll have to see whether or not it actually works. (Adding another escallator and a few more screening queues doesn't help when often the main problem is the staff in T5 doing slightly less than zero work...)

However, the OP mentions a T3-T3 connection, which is rather different. I've only ever had good experiences connecting through T3 of late. They seem to actually have staff working at a sensible pace! And enough security screening lines.

There's a fair number of BA flights leaving from T3 right now, and that number is growing as other airlines move to T2 and BA brings over the remaining flights from T1. The only absolute thing you can say about if something'll be T5 or T3 is that domestic flights must be T5 as there are no domestic facilities in T3. Otherwise, check your ticket for the terminal, especially at the moment while flights are shuffling!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
T5 is currently an epic fail for connections for a decent slug of the day. They're doing some work with is supposed to improve things, but we'll have to see whether or not it actually works. (Adding another escallator and a few more screening queues doesn't help when often the main problem is the staff in T5 doing slightly less than zero work...)

However, the OP mentions a T3-T3 connection, which is rather different. I've only ever had good experiences connecting through T3 of late. They seem to actually have staff working at a sensible pace! And enough security screening lines.

There's a fair number of BA flights leaving from T3 right now, and that number is growing as other airlines move to T2 and BA brings over the remaining flights from T1. The only absolute thing you can say about if something'll be T5 or T3 is that domestic flights must be T5 as there are no domestic facilities in T3. Otherwise, check your ticket for the terminal, especially at the moment while flights are shuffling!
Tks a lot
would you checkbags on a 1.20 hr connection T3-T3 from AA to BA?
my concern is not shampoo, it is the amount of staff I need for a 2 week trip...
cheers
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If your bags miss your flight (eg the inbound is delayed), and end up on the next one, how much of a delay is that?

Personally, I always travel with clothes for the next day in my checked luggage, so as long as my bags could be on another plane within 12 hours + delivered to me within ~18, I'm happy to chance it. If the next plane to your destination isn't for several days, then unless you have great travel insurance + fancy a bit of shopping if it all goes wrong, I'd say look into HBO.

(Your issue isn't a 1:20 layover, that's probably fine, it's when your inbound is 30+ minutes late and you have to run a bit where your bags are unlikely to run as fast as you do....)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
If your bags miss your flight (eg the inbound is delayed), and end up on the next one, how much of a delay is that?

Personally, I always travel with clothes for the next day in my checked luggage, so as long as my bags could be on another plane within 12 hours + delivered to me within ~18, I'm happy to chance it. If the next plane to your destination isn't for several days, then unless you have great travel insurance + fancy a bit of shopping if it all goes wrong, I'd say look into HBO.

(Your issue isn't a 1:20 layover, that's probably fine, it's when your inbound is 30+ minutes late and you have to run a bit where your bags are unlikely to run as fast as you do....)
There are multiple daily LHR-VIE flights so this isn't likely to be an issue. Hand luggage only is not necessary but have a day's clothes in carry on.

Making the connection is unlikely to be a big issue unless you like dawdling or get selected for the Nude-O-Scope at security and want to opt-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.