Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost my british passport...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Lost my british passport...

Mod's don't move this please, I need advise from british passport holders on this so I think BAEC is the best place for it?

So today I to catch a bus in Ottawa, Canada. The bus was empty so I just sat in the area where the old/disable/pregnant people sit. The bus started to fill up and a pregnant person got on, so I got up and let her take my seat but I forgot I had my passport next to me and forgot to pick it up and take it.

Long story short, phoned the bus people, they had the bus looked over. No passport. I assume someone picked it up but has either not handed it in or wants to keep it. I just walked over to the British high commission here in Ottawa (It was only 2 blocks away) and the lady said that some title person would get me documents to return to the UK. I told her I needed to be in NY this time next week and she said I'd need to talk to the title person about it...

Let's say she didn't have a optimistic look on her face. Does anyone know what is going to happen tomorrow when I meet with the person from the high commission?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Calum this is the scenario i would imagine

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see them offering anything that a single use Emergency Document, gone are the days when Consulates had people with quill pens, and I guess the courier process will be too long for your immediate needs. Maybe they will issue 2 of them?

However, let's consider the good people of Ottawa: I'd reckon your average Canadian would have handed a passport into a police station, so I reckon that would be a good place to ask. If I had to lose a passport anywhere, Ottawa would be where I would do so, so don't give up hope yet.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Calum this is the scenario i would imagine

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document
I have read thought that page quite a few times today. The problem I face now is if I can get in to the US or not.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calum
I have read thought that page quite a few times today. The problem I face now is if I can get in to the US or not.
Yes you can, on the basis that you are then travelling on to the UK.......
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Suggestion is that you apply for a Visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ETD_web_13.pdf
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't see them offering anything that a single use Emergency Document, gone are the days when Consulates had people with quill pens, and I guess the courier process will be too long for your immediate needs. Maybe they will issue 2 of them?

However, let's consider the good people of Ottawa: I'd reckon your average Canadian would have handed a passport into a police station, so I reckon that would be a good place to ask. If I had to lose a passport anywhere, Ottawa would be where I would do so, so don't give up hope yet.
I would to reckon they would hand it in somewhere but why not just go up the bus driver and give it to him? If you think about it, it does look like the normal thing to do.

The high commission have asked me not to inform the local police. They say 'my identity could be compromised and my passport may have to be deactivated anyway even if its found'
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I do not think that you can enter the US without a visa unless holding a normal passport
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Calum
I would to reckon they would hand it in somewhere but why not just go up the bus driver and give it to him? If you think about it, it does look like the normal thing to do.

The high commission have asked me not to inform the local police. They say 'my identity could compromised and my passport may have to be deactivated anyway even if its found'
If I found a passport on a bus, I would not trust the bus company to look after it properly, since I would trust a police officer more. When I've found passports in CCR (etc) I always walk it over to the passenger's gate, I wouldn't trust HAL to do anything other than shove into the daily Lost Property exercise 6 hours later.

The HC advice is the sort of thing that drives me insane. They are of course right, but sometimes best to use a bit of personal initiative and common sense.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes you can, on the basis that you are then travelling on to the UK.......
I will update you tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Suggestion is that you apply for a Visa

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ETD_web_13.pdf
Could I get one at short notice from the US here in Ottawa?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not think that you can enter the US without a visa unless holding a normal passport
You probably know more than me.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Second going to the police station. Call first and determine the most likely stations along the route and physically go to each station during regular business hours (not that it is not staffed at night, but administrative functions may not be). This is not about you reporting the passport as lost or stolen, but in the hope that it has already been turned in.

If that does not turn up your passport, it is time to bug the High Commission official again. The particular situation, e.g. on this side of the Pond for travel to Canada and the USA is likely fairly common and I would be surprised if there is not a ready solution.

Lastly, although potentially frustrating and presuming that you are flying to NYC, Ottawa is a US Preclearance facility. Thus, you will process through US CBP before departure rather than on arrival. If you are not admitted, you will be stuck in Ottawa, but not held and returned.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:40 pm

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETD) are not valid for entry into the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). If you’re planning to enter the US using a UK Emergency Travel Document you must apply for a US visa before you travel.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
If I found a passport on a bus, I would not trust the bus company to look after it properly, since I would trust a police officer more. When I've found passports in CCR (etc) I always walk it over to the passenger's gate,
Credit to you cws, but wouldn't BA staff take responsibility for this given the premium customers therein?!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I've found passports in CCR (etc) I always walk it over to the passenger's gate, I wouldn't trust HAL to do anything other than shove into the daily Lost Property exercise 6 hours later.
How do you know the passenger's gate? Do they helpful leave a ticket stub inside?

The HC advice is the sort of thing that drives me insane. They are of course right, but sometimes best to use a bit of personal initiative and common sense.
+1
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:15 pm

Don't know about short notice

https://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfse...ayment_options

May be an option when applying

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.