Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

MAN (especially T1) - is it getting worse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAN (especially T1) - is it getting worse?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by mfkne
But isn't the area in T3 that you come from as you enter security inherently public, i.e. it should be assumed that whoever managed to get there got there legally, much like within Schengen (as long as you're in a member country of the Schengen agreement, it is assumed that some other member has verified your eligibility for being there)?
You can assume they got there legally, yes. However, there is a mix of passengers for both domestic/CTA destinations and international destinations, so you can't assume they're leaving legally.

Add to this 1) there is no exit immigration, 2) there is no ID requirement for domestic/CTA travel and 3) the UK allows international-international transit without entering the country.

So, for example, a passenger holds, say, a CDG-MAN-GOT ticket, and has a non-EU passport with visas for France and Sweden, but not the UK. This passenger is allowed to connect in MAN without passing through immigration, as it's an international-to-international connection.

A third party buys a MAN-LHR ticket, which the passenger loads, say, as an electronic boarding pass on a mobile phone. This passenger can simply walk to the MAN-LHR gate, use the boarding pass to board and land on a domestic flight to London - thereby entering the UK without passing through immigration.

Formerly, domestic/CTA and international flights were segregated. But this wasn't popular with domestic passengers (who had few facilities) or airports (cost them more, and passengers spent less). People in the UK are very resistant to ID cards, and not keen on exit immigration (nor, indeed are the woefully underfunded UKBF). So this is the compromise.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
Originally Posted by stut
A third party buys a MAN-LHR ticket, which the passenger loads, say, as an electronic boarding pass on a mobile phone. This passenger can simply walk to the MAN-LHR gate, use the boarding pass to board and land on a domestic flight to London - thereby entering the UK without passing through immigration.
Lets see how many "residents" of Sangatte read this forum.
It needs a catchier title, though. We've had the Lille Loophole. Perhaps this is Manchester Mischief, Sleight of Land, Gate Expectations?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:14 am

Ringway Runaround?

Anyway, it's well known that this could be the case, hence the digital photo requirements. Seems to work at LHR And LGW.

At MAN however...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....atchdog-904196

This was when T3 was domestic, though.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the explanation - I just wonder where the photograph comes in. Who has access to these photos?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
Thanks for the explanation - I just wonder where the photograph comes in. Who has access to these photos?
The photo is stored against the boarding pass on a local computer system. So, in an airport with mixed departures and airside transfer, no passenger is allowed to board a domestic/CTA flight without a photo (which will be taken either at immigration or at the landside boarding pass check).

In theory, it is only accessible to the immigration officer (or boarding pass checker) and gate agent, and is destroyed once the flight has departed. In practice, I have little faith in the authorities in this country when it comes to data privacy.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
OK, so a gate agent will have the photo displayed for comparison when the boarding pass is scanned?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:41 am

Exactly.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Just back from an overnighter in Ireland via T1 and AerLingus.

Outbound was no problem. Minimal delay at security, with helpful security staff working that day. Once you navigate "Biza", the main terminal is good, with reasonable bars. The newly refurbed Apsire lounge is pretty good, with excellent views of the apron.

Out to the Gates. Not so nice in the old charter pier, with limited seating and space. Boarded by airbridge.

Return: Arrived back at T1, but needed a bus to avoid immigration. Delay for bus. 5 minutes on cramped bus waiting for "back door" to be opened, so we can go straight to baggage hall. An improvement on Dublin, as you still need your passport there to avoid immigration problems, annoying to wait on a bus.

No bags so can't report on that.

Final Point: I avoid any international flight out of T3 due to the passport desks - no auto gates and very long queues if you time it wrong. AA/KLM/AF - you're losing my business because of this!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by MAN Pax

Final Point: I avoid any international flight out of T3 due to the passport desks - no auto gates and very long queues if you time it wrong. AA/KLM/AF - you're losing my business because of this!
Think it's time for another terminal at MAN personally...

On a similar but unrelated note, when I was passing through T1 a couple of weeks ago there was an AA jet parked at the T1 pier... I swear I saw this and am not going crazy... Has this happened before?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
Plenty of space and facilities at T2 - I am at a loss why AF/KLM want to be in T3.

AA/BA (and now US) I can understand as T3 was the BA terminal, when BA used to have a bigger presence and the whole of the lounge space upstairs. The terminal was not built to handle the volumes of PAX that they see now, especially the widebodies on the US runs.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:49 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Plenty of space and facilities at T2 - I am at a loss why AF/KLM want to be in T3.

AA/BA (and now US) I can understand as T3 was the BA terminal, when BA used to have a bigger presence and the whole of the lounge space upstairs. The terminal was not built to handle the volumes of PAX that they see now, especially the widebodies on the US runs.
Indeed, T2 is very quiet in the afternoon after the long hauls have gone.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy

On a similar but unrelated note, when I was passing through T1 a couple of weeks ago there was an AA jet parked at the T1 pier... I swear I saw this and am not going crazy... Has this happened before?

Probably AA55 which I believe normally goes from T3. As T3 and T1 are adjacent to each other are you sure it was not actually at T3?

Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Airbridge
Probably AA55 which I believe normally goes from T3. As T3 and T1 are adjacent to each other are you sure it was not actually at T3?

It was 100% at T1 (could tell by the AC it was alongside) - don't know the technical terms but it was on the pier that stretches down to 6 o'clock on your image (we boarded LX to ZRH from here on foot going down and under). It was from the Aspire Lounge window overlooking this pier and the apron and was on my RH side looking out whereas T3 is to the left.

I wish I had taken a picture but I was more engrossed in my Bloody Mary and getting the plug sockets in the lounge to work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.