Search

Travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Travel advice

Hello British friends,

I'm hoping some locals can help me with a travel plan recommendation. I'm arriving on a Friday morning in Exeter (via air) with plans to hire a car and drive down to Dartmouth.

On the Saturday, I need to get to LHR. Options I've found are:
1. Drive from Dartmouth all the way to LHR and pay a one-way hire car fee
2. Return the car at Exeter Airport, taxi/bus to centre of town and take the train (switching to a bus in Reading)

Any other ideas? Of these (and other suggestions), what would you recommend?

Thanks so much
bawm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You could also look for a company that has a base both at Exeter Airport and St David's Station - the one-way fee may not apply in that case. That would certainly make option 2 more attractive.

If you are getting the train, book tickets in advance with http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ - they are priced like air fares, and a walk-up ticket on the day is very pricey. By doing this, you will also see if there are any engineering works on the day.

The drive from Exeter up to Heathrow is simple enough - even if the M4 is a spectacularly boring road - just watch out for traffic as you approach London. Saturday afternoon is generally an OK time to travel, but the M5 around Exeter can get particularly busy on a Saturday if it's any way approaching a holiday season.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, and I don't know how much time you're allowing for the drive back, and if you want to take time to see places on the way... Obviously, that would make driving a more attractive option.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
From Exeter to London, it's a choice as to whether you take the M5/M4 or the A303. The latter is more direct but a slightly slower road so the time taken is broadly similar. However, it runs through much more attractive countryside and, from a tourist point of view, goes straight past Stonehenge.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The traffic in Exeter tends to be hideous so allow lots of time to get from the airport to St Davids.

Or, depending on where you need to go in Dartmouth, don't hire a car at all. There is a bus service from Totnes railway station to Dartmouth, and Totnes is on the line to Reading/Paddington. Of course that's only any good if you don't need a car for your Dartmouth trip and you can get the bus to Totnes in time for a suitable train Londonwards
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you stut, lhrsfo and exilencfc for your contributions! Unfortunately I am short on time or I'd love to discover more by car. I'm looking into car hire locations near St. David but most seem to be 2 miles away. With an early train (8:49) not sure how reasonable it is to return the car (they open at 8 AM), get a taxi, and make the train.

Again, many thanks for the input!
bawm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:46 am

The 8.49 train from St Davids certainly rules out the public transport option.

As to the car return, it depends on where it is. The trafic in Exeter is generally bad but some parts are worse than others. If you can drop the car close to one of Exeter's other stations you may find you can get a train into St Davids from there.

Have you considered going by coach? http://www.nationalexpress.com/asset...ables/R501.pdf Exeter's bus station is a bit closer to the airport than St Davids is
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, exilencfc! I had not found the coach option. Unfortunately it appears to be a bit of a "faf" (did I get that right?) to return the rental car and get to the station, either from the airport or the in town locations (all in the south west it seems). I am leaning towards doing the full drive from Dartmouth to LHR.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
is traffic in Exeter really so bad on Saturday mornings? It's only 2 miles from the car hire places.
there is a local car hire company (Abbeyford) with premises next to the station

Originally Posted by stut
they are priced like air fares, and a walk-up ticket on the day is very pricey.
It will be 58.
The absolute cheapest advance tickets are more than 30 - they are unlikely to have much availability and come with considerable pitfalls.

Although personally, I would pay the extra (3) and travel via Paddington and Heathrow Express.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:47 pm

Faf is the right word!

The traffic in Exeter is inclined to be hideous on every occasion - weekends included! I got stuck in a jam for the best part of an hour on a Sunday afternoon once. Mind you it is about 6 years since I lived in Exeter so it might have improved.

Saturday is certainly a better prospect than a weekday (I must confess I hadn't realised that the OP was referring to a Saturday) but I still wouldn't trust Exeter traffic - though I would be happier coming at the station from some parts of the city than from others. I think he/she probably would make it but I wouldn't like to risk making a flight on it.

In the OPs position I would probably drive to London, though renting with walking distance from St Davids would be an excellent option.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I wanted to loop back to say thanks again for the advice and let you know how it went. I decided on driving to Heathrow (where I'm sitting now); it was very easy once I got on the M5 and M4. The whole thing took about 4 hours including one break near Bristol. I thought the drive was pretty nice, actually!

Much appreciated,
bawm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.