Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - Terminal 2

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
LHR - Terminal 2

Just arrived at LHR Terminal 2 on LX from ZRH.

I measured the time it took to walk from the gate to the luggage carousel in Terminal 1.

18 minutes!

Not well understood why the flight lands at T2 but the luggage arrives at T1!

Who thought of this ingenious idea?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:11 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the UK Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is UA you used, they always have been at the farthest possible gates. I've seen this first at T3 and then at T1. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was true at T2 as well.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I think it's a temporary thing until T2 is fully opened.

One of the T2 piers is shared with T1 so maybe that explains it
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
T1 and T2 shared a pier (known as Europier) long before T2 was rebuilt. Originally, it was to add capacity to both, but when a number of long-haul flights were moved to T1, and more medium-haul flights grew at T2, it tended to be used for these (it was better suited to doing so, anyway). It was always a bit of a yomp from there to the terminals proper, although IIRC it was quicker to exit via T2 if you had hand luggage only.

Anyway, the pier is still in place, and primarily used for T2, AIUI, with some remodelling of the access routes. I guess it will become a full part of T2 when T1 closes for rebuilding, but I'm not sure what happens then.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The Europier is part of T1 and is solely for T1 arrivals and departures - it will be demolished when T1 closes next year to allow the Kilo taxiway to be completed (look on a satellite view and you will see that the Europier is at an angle and out of line with the new T5/T2 layout).

Where the OP arrived was T2B - the new satellite terminal to T2A. Because LX hasn't moved to T2 yet, the OP had to walk to T1 arrivals which does take some time.

LX moves to T2 in October.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Although the walk from T2B to T1 Customs is little, if any, longer than the walk to T2B Customs
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Although the walk from T2B to T1 Customs is little, if any, longer than the walk to T2B Customs
I assume you mean T2A customs? It's much quicker going to T2B to T2A than T2B to T1.

Immigration, baggage reclaim and customs are all on the same level in T2A, whereas immigration in T1 is a floor above baggage reclaim and customs and involves a reasonable walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.