Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 to Cotswolds: Bus/Walk/Train or Train/Train/Train/Train?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI

I'm arriving at T5 in late morning in a few weeks and have to make my way directly to a Cotswolds destination northwest of Oxford. Best rail station is Kingham.

Given the choice, would you...

1. Take the blue Airline bus direct to Oxford, walk up to the rail station, and catch the local Moreton-bound train to Kingham?

2. Take HEX to T123, Heathrow Connect to Hayes, then transfer for Slough, then transfer again for Oxford and beyond?

3. Try something different?

Prices are comparable and I lean toward #1 for simplicity's sake but will appreciate your insight. Hiring a car is always an option as I know the route, but it's expensive, I won't need it otherwise, and I'm going back into London later so don't want the chore of dropping it back at LHR.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:00 pm

How about Railair coach from T5 to Reading, train to from Reading direct to Kingham.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jedikiah
How about Railair coach from T5 to Reading, train to from Reading direct to Kingham.
Exactly this ^. Railair pick up right outside T5 arrivals and drop you off at the door of Reading station. Their tickets are cheaper online and you can get on a coach at any time on the day(s) you book it for.

The only weakness of Railair is that they have to use the M4 motorway which can get really busy at rush hour, but for a late morning arrival you should be fine. The bus to Oxford would normally use the M40 which can be as bad though, it does however drop you off at the bus station which is a 5 minute walk through town (slightly tricky if you have luggage) to the train station.

Reading station is a reasonable place to wait for a train, better than Oxford anyway, but both have a couple of places too eat (sandwiches and pies) and a supermarket (M&S).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The coach is quite expensive and I don't think there are many trains from Reading to Kingham - the OP might well have to change in Oxford. Against which the railair coaches are frequent and conveninent to get on and off.

Assuming you have an Oyster card OP, I would look at taking a London Bus to West Drayton station and catching a train to Oxford from there (preferably changing onto a fast train at Slough or Reading). Quite likely quicker and cheaper than going via Hayes.

On the whole though, bus to Oxford sounds like a good plan. Minimal faffing around at the London end and the walk in Oxford is fine provided the weather is reasonable. Might be worth looking at buses from Oxford to Kingham assuming such a thing exists.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
The coach is quite expensive and I don't think there are many trains from Reading to Kingham - the OP might well have to change in Oxford. Against which the railair coaches are frequent and conveninent to get on and off.
First Great Western to Great Malvern runs from Reading to Kingham at 11:52, 12:52, 13:52 and 14:52 if any of those work for the OP
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:36 pm

It is usually cheaper to book the Railair coach separately online. Admittedly it is more economical as a round trip and/or booked 2-3 months in advance.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
The 77 bus goes from T5 to Slough, costs about £4.50 and takes about 20 minutes. It's not a long walk from Slough bus station to train station.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Thank you all very much! The Railair bus to Reading seems a much better idea than the four-train foxtrot I initially mentioned. And costs versus the Airline bus to Oxford are comparable:

Via Reading: £30.30 (£16 bus, £14.30 off-peak Reading-Kingham)

Via Oxford: £31.80 (£23 Airline bus, £8.80 off-peak Oxford-Kingham)

Via Slough: £24.80 (£4.50 #77 bus, £20.30 off-peak Slough-Kingham)

Seems a big pricey but what can one do when not buying return fares. I know the via-Oxford drill very well but perhaps will try the via-Slough or via-Reading alternatives to enlarge my horizons, especially if it's raining and I don't fancy the walk from Oxford coach station up to the rail station. In the middle of the day as Steve_ZA has kindly found there's a departure from Reading nearly hourly, and the flight I contemplate arrives T5 at 900a, so ought to make the 1136 from Slough or 1152a from Reading (it's the same train).

Last edited by BearX220; Aug 27, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reason: Edited to include late advice from big_mac
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by big_mac
The 77 bus goes from T5 to Slough, costs about £4.50 and takes about 20 minutes. It's not a long walk from Slough bus station to train station.
big_mac, will the #77 take Oyster? Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BearX220
big_mac, will the #77 take Oyster? Thanks.
I'm fairly sure it doesn't. I really can't image that I would have voluntarily paid a £4+ cash fare!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by big_mac
I'm fairly sure it doesn't. I really can't image that I would have voluntarily paid a £4+ cash fare!
Ah, I see, it's a FirstGroup bus, not TfL. I looked it up. Thank you -- the #77 is an outstanding tip, and I think the way to go unless it is pouring rain.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
If you haven't been there in a while, Reading Station is currently quite different (and much improved!) on what it was before. Lots more space, easier transfers, more eating options etc. Oxford station is over capacity, and it's quite a few more years until they upgrade it (but there is at least now a masterplan).

Most of the Kingham trains will serve Reading, but a handful start at Didcot or Oxford, so you may have a few more options if you change at Oxford.

The Oxford Airline buses have wifi and power sockets, which might swing it for you!

Oh, and if you might be doing any more travel within the Oxford - Kingham - Worcester area in your trip, consider getting the little-known Cotswolds Line Railcard. £7.50 for a year (used to be a fiver, sniff...), gets you 1/3 off tickets between Oxford and Worcester.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:14 am

The Railair coach also has WiFi, not sure about power sockets but probably not.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The Railair coach also has WiFi, not sure about power sockets but probably not.
IIRC correctly there are some sockets around the first few rows of seats, I think they are at seats which also have a proper table
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you. Gagravarr, I've seen the Oxford station bursting at the seams -- it can be difficult when weather delays trains and people back up. The staff is great though in those situations. Reading I don't think I've alighted at for some years -- just slid through. Slough I know well (sadly enough).

I doubt I will be plying the Oxford-Moreton corridor with enough frequency to use the Cotswold Line Railcard but it's good to know of, just in case.

You all are being generous with your time and knowledge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.