Search

london in february 2015, money to take

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by mandolino
Or just buy one when you arrive. You can get a simple phone with some credit on the SIM for around £20 at CarPhone warehouse or Phones4U. They might even have a branch in the airport, depending on which terminal you arrive at.

if you want data, then I've found the Motorola Moto G an excellent choice for an affordable travelling smartphone. There is a dual SIM version too.
When I started travelling in the late 1980s there was no email and no mobiles. You just dropped off the radar for a few weeks. Strangely, the world did not end.

Being without a phone - but still having wifi access everywhere care of Starbucks, McDonalds etc if you have a tablet or non-UK bandwidth phone - is not exactly the end of the world.

If you have a US mobile which won't work in the UK due to banding issues, Skype will do the job when you find free wifi. Remember that for a small fee you can dial landlines and mobiles.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
When I started travelling in the late 1980s there was no email and no mobiles. You just dropped off the radar for a few weeks. Strangely, the world did not end.

Being without a phone - but still having wifi access everywhere care of Starbucks, McDonalds etc if you have a tablet or non-UK bandwidth phone - is not exactly the end of the world.

If you have a US mobile which won't work in the UK due to banding issues, Skype will do the job when you find free wifi. Remember that for a small fee you can dial landlines and mobiles.
Sure - I started travelling in the 1970s.
It is the "end of the world" for some concerned relatives these days if they can't get hold of you though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.