Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster card: off peak price cap vs. off peak day travelcard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: MUCCI
Oyster card: off peak price cap vs. off peak day travelcard

The only real reasons to buy a visitor card would be ease.

They can be sold by third parties (some airlines sell them on board, travel agents, train companies with long distance services into London.

So there could be a slight time advantage compared to going to a ticket window etc, or if you know you will not return, and also will not have an opportunity to reclaim your deposit when you leave, 3 is less of a loss than 5.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Using Oyster is always cheaper than using a paper day travelcard.
I was delighted when I moved into London and found out that that wasn't entirely true. If you happen to have a Netword Rail card (costs £30/year) then you can buy a paper travel card from a Zone 2 or 3 station (e.g. Kentish Town, but you can collect at any National Rail machine) to London Zones 1-6, then it will only cost you £5.90 at the weekend rather than the standard Oyster cap of ~£9. A little travel hack for Londoners!

Of course for the average tourist this is irrelevant.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Don't forget that you can load certain types of railcard on to an Oyster, and that will decrease the cap as well (although I don't think the Network card is one - although you can get a Ryde gold card if you really want...)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:55 am

To follow up on my own question, I got a couple of Oysters today in a little corner shop in Teddington with no trouble whatsoever. I guess that with the phaseout of cash on the buses, they need to keep Ticket Stops stocked.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by shefgab
I was delighted when I moved into London and found out that that wasn't entirely true. If you happen to have a Netword Rail card (costs £30/year) then you can buy a paper travel card from a Zone 2 or 3 station (e.g. Kentish Town, but you can collect at any National Rail machine) to London Zones 1-6, then it will only cost you £5.90 at the weekend rather than the standard Oyster cap of ~£9. A little travel hack for Londoners!
Another situation where Oyster is more expensive is when you have a Oysterable railcard (e.g. 16-25, Senior, Gold) and are travelling in the Oyster weekday evening peak of 1602-1858, as the railcard discount will not be applied unless you buy a paper ticket (as there is no specifically defined evening peak on National Rail).

Even with the Network Railcard, which can't be loaded onto Oyster due to the £13 minimum fare from Mon-Fri, journeys such as Shenfield-Liverpool St return off-peak will be cheaper with a National Rail ticket. I wonder whether Crossrail will change this; probably not as Abellio or whatever they are called now will still operate trains on that route.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You can top-up online before leaving for England, also.
I accumulate coin whilst in the UK. My little system is to pump all those 5p, 10p, and 20p coins into the kiosk and put all the value on the Oyster before departing.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Worth mentioning that from the autumn when contactless is launched on the tube, weekly capping will also be introduced on Oyster, so you won't pay more than a weekly travelcard in the zones in which you've travelled (unless you qualify for one of the discounts mentioned above)
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by stut
Don't forget that you can load certain types of railcard on to an Oyster, and that will decrease the cap as well (although I don't think the Network card is one - although you can get a Ryde gold card if you really want...)
Not relevant for visitors, but the Ryde trick also gives you cheap first class upgrades in the NW region off peak.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
In the past, I have always purchased and used the paper travelcards when I have visited London.

For my upcoming trip to London, I am thinking of purchasing an Oyster card. I will be arriving a LHR T3 and plan to take the HEX to Paddington. Are the Oyster cards sold at LHR or at Paddington? Are there vending machines sell them or do I have to purchase them from an agent? Cash only or do they accept credit cards?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Time traveller
In the past, I have always purchased and used the paper travelcards when I have visited London.

For my upcoming trip to London, I am thinking of purchasing an Oyster card. I will be arriving a LHR T3 and plan to take the HEX to Paddington. Are the Oyster cards sold at LHR or at Paddington? Are there vending machines sell them or do I have to purchase them from an agent? Cash only or do they accept credit cards?
I bought my Oyster card at LHR after arriving on a trip, a few years ago. I then use it every time I visit England (twice a year) by topping off at the machines at the tube stations (and online, before leaving the USA).

I bought mine at the ticket window, and paid with a credit card. The machines allow you to top off with either cash or CC's.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I bought my Oyster card at LHR after arriving on a trip, a few years ago. I then use it every time I visit England (twice a year) by topping off at the machines at the tube stations (and online, before leaving the USA).

I bought mine at the ticket window, and paid with a credit card. The machines allow you to top off with either cash or CC's.
How do you manage to top up online? Last I checked, TfL only accepts UK-billed credit cards.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:25 am

The TFL website says Visitor Oyster cards are not sold in London and only UK residents can buy regular Oyster cards.

Can you buy an Oyster card at LHR or in London? Where at LHR? Then get a refund of unused value and 5.00 when you leave?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You can buy an Oyster card at the ticket offices at the Heathrow underground stations, as well as at the ticket office in terminal 5 arrivals, or at any other underground station or Oyster Ticket Stop (basically most small newsagencies and convenience stores in and around London).

You can get a refund of up to £10 cash per card (£5 in unused fare plus £5 card deposit) at any underground station on surrendering the card and presenting two forms of ID, one with a photo and the other with your address. Refunds over £10 will be issued by a cheque in English pounds in the mail, which may prove difficult to use if you do not have a UK bank account.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see the Oyster daily price cap for zones 1-2 is £6.50. Does that price cap include travel during peak times in the morning and afernoon as well as off peak?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Analise
I see the Oyster daily price cap for zones 1-2 is £6.50. Does that price cap include travel during peak times in the morning and afernoon as well as off peak?
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.