Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EDI airport to train - recommended time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:03 pm
stc
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
EDI airport to train - recommended time

I'm looking for some guidance as to the amount of time to allow between EDI airport and the train station. I'm trying to get an idea so I can book the onward train ticket in advance to save money. Our flight (USAirways from PHL) is scheduled to arrive at 8:40 AM. Would trying to catch a 10:30 AM train be crazy? (It's a lot cheaper and the next cheap train is several hours later.) We'd have to clear customs (US Passports) and collect our luggage. We'd prefer to take the bus to the train station, but taking a taxi is an option. The onward train seems to pass through both Waverly and Haymarket stations, so while boarding at Waverly might make more sense (bigger station I assume), I guess we could go to Haymarket if we were running late. This would be a Friday or Saturday morning in September. I assume Friday is likely to be worse than Saturday. I realize the answers to this question are likely to be affected by a lot of things (including the phase of the moon ...) but any input would be appreciated.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:05 am

You haven't mentioned where you are going as there may be an option you haven't considered. As you mention "several hours" it suggests somewhere on the west coast via Glasgow - if so there's a direct bus from Edinburgh Airport to Glasgow. Do check however which Glasgow station you need to be at as there's two main ones

If a train stops at Haymarket there's no sense in going to Waverley, just take the airport bus or tram to Haymarket.

But generally 1h50m should be enough time if flights arrive on time.

BTW you pass through customs AFTER you collect your luggage, bit pointless otherwise.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
When I went to EDI last summer it took forever to get thru immigration. They routed all US citizens to one line with one agent only. There were multiple agents for Brits and other foreigners. Only when everyone else was done did they allow US citizens to approach other agents. And our agent was so rude that one of the airport workers commented to us and apologized. So it may take much longer to get done than you might expect.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by manneca
They routed all US citizens to one line with one agent only. There were multiple agents for Brits and other foreigners.
EU/EEA and Non-EU/EEA.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:28 am
stc
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alanR
You haven't mentioned where you are going as there may be an option you haven't considered. As you mention "several hours" it suggests somewhere on the west coast via Glasgow - if so there's a direct bus from Edinburgh Airport to Glasgow. Do check however which Glasgow station you need to be at as there's two main ones

If a train stops at Haymarket there's no sense in going to Waverley, just take the airport bus or tram to Haymarket.

But generally 1h50m should be enough time if flights arrive on time.

BTW you pass through customs AFTER you collect your luggage, bit pointless otherwise.
Thanks for the info.

We're headed to Aberdeen. Some of the trains are like 11 pounds standard / 22 pounds first and some of the trains are like 13 pounds standard / 76 pounds first. For 22 pounds first I was going to do that. I believe it is the East Coast Trains from London that continue on to Aberdeen that have the cheap First Class and the First Scotrail are the expensive ones. And yes, I know for a 2 hour trip First Class is not that important, but we are likely to be tired and I figure the little extra comfort is worth it.

WRT Customs, you are right, I should have said Passport Control. (I've never actually had to stop or be stopped at Customs in the UK.)
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:29 am
stc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
When I went to EDI last summer it took forever to get thru immigration. They routed all US citizens to one line with one agent only. There were multiple agents for Brits and other foreigners. Only when everyone else was done did they allow US citizens to approach other agents. And our agent was so rude that one of the airport workers commented to us and apologized. So it may take much longer to get done than you might expect.
Yep. That's always a risk. It will be September, so I'm hoping the loads will be down. Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:18 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by stc
We're headed to Aberdeen. Some of the trains are like 11 pounds standard / 22 pounds first and some of the trains are like 13 pounds standard / 76 pounds first. For 22 pounds first I was going to do that. I believe it is the East Coast Trains from London that continue on to Aberdeen that have the cheap First Class and the First Scotrail are the expensive ones. And yes, I know for a 2 hour trip First Class is not that important, but we are likely to be tired and I figure the little extra comfort is worth it.
Both East Coast and Scotrail trains have First Class, but the Scotrail one isn't up to much (the seats are bigger than Standard, though) and have tiny compartments, so they tend not to discount it. If you can go for East Coast then do - their First Class is a very civilised way to travel.

As mentioned above, you do have the option of travelling to Haymarket/Waverley by tram:

http://edinburghtrams.com/

Strictly speaking, if you book a cheap ticket from Edinburgh (Waverley - this is the main station, but the name only appears locally) then you are not allowed to board at Haymarket. The enforcement of this may vary (and anyway, you can easily just buy a ticket to the next stop to get you through the barriers).

If all else fails, and you're running really late, the next stop for the East Coast Aberdeen train is Inverkeithing, the other side of the Forth Bridge. It calls here 15 minutes after Haymarket - this is a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Originally Posted by stut
Strictly speaking, if you book a cheap ticket from Edinburgh (Waverley - this is the main station, but the name only appears locally) then you are not allowed to board at Haymarket. The enforcement of this may vary (and anyway, you can easily just buy a ticket to the next stop to get you through the barriers).

If all else fails, and you're running really late, the next stop for the East Coast Aberdeen train is Inverkeithing, the other side of the Forth Bridge. It calls here 15 minutes after Haymarket - this is a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport.
Book the ticket from Edinburgh, rather than Edinburgh Waverley or Edinburgh Haymarket. You can use it at either - I do this all the time, and there's never any problem. Also, the East Coast website discounts their own fares, and allows you to select your seat online.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

You could take the 747 bus to Inverkeithing rather than backtracking into Edinburgh. It takes 20 minutes but it means catching it by 10:00am as they only run every 30 minutes.

http://www.edinburghairport.com/tran...es-and-coaches

Trains for Aberdeen stop there

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...orrow/0900/dep
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I would have thought almost 2 hours should be enough time
but of course there could be delays at immigration and your flight could be delayed

the bus takes around 25-30 minutes to get to Edinburgh Waverley slightly less to haymarket

I would certainly recommend East coast over scotrail
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Given your immigration constraint and the potential for a late arrival of an overnight flight, I would say a taxi is the best option. Buses and trams are great, but if there is any delay, they have no alternative route. Taxi will cost about £25 to the city and should take 30 minutes at most, but more likely 20.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
As alanR has said, the 747 bus to Inverkeithing is probably your way out. It heads in the right direction and avoids having to head back into the city. If there are two of you a taxi might be a worthwhile option. The trains are pretty frequent and your main timings uncertainty will be clearing luggage customs and immigration checks.

If you are over 55, there is a worthwhile saving on trains within Scotland called "Club 55", no nationality restrictions but some train operator restrictions. Although this offer is only for this month they keep repeating them so it might be worth checking back:
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club-55

I am off to work in Edinburgh tomorrow from just south of Aberdeen and taking a return for £19, so cheaper than the fuel, and the travel times are better than driving and parking!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by antichef
If you are over 55, there is a worthwhile saving on trains within Scotland called "Club 55", no nationality restrictions but some train operator restrictions. Although this offer is only for this month they keep repeating them so it might be worth checking back:
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/club-55!
Club 55 is not available on East Coast trains, alas.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

We might just come back to the choice of East Coast over ScotRail, especially in first class, and why the OP is entirely right to look at this option even if there are technically slightly better times available with ScotRail. The ScotRail first class service offers slightly more space, a separate 'cabin' and free refreshments, amounting to tea, coffee water, juice (sometimes) and cheap unhealthy snacks. Bear in mind that paying customers will often get better versions of what first class customers get 'free'. For that you pay what is normally a spectacular premium.

Usually cheaper, and often much cheaper, the East Coast service offers far more space, and much better food and drink - depending on the time of day you will get a proper meal and real drinks. Wi-fi is free in first class (it's free for everyone on ScotRail, *if* they have it at all on the train, and not all of them do, yet.) If you have any flexibility at all on times, it's a no-brainer.

Despite all that, East Coast is doing very well financially, as well as being well-liked by its customers, but as it results from the enforced state takeover of a failed franchise, and is state-owned, it is therefore anathema to the unspeakable Westminster ideologues; its days are unfortunately therefore likely to be numbered, to be replaced by a shiny-business-planned POS from the likes of Serco.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:32 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To be fair to Scotrail (and I've little reason to be fair to First Group as I've been paying through the nose for their patchy service for years) East Coast are cheap because of the amount of excess capacity on that route. They make their money on London-Edinburgh. The Aberdeen stretches are a franchise commitment, so they may as well put bums on seats - and they've plenty of them going spare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.