Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How to get from Belfast City airport to Bushmills?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I'm to visit a friend who lives near the Giant's Causeway in Bushmills. That is until I realised that its not exactly easy to get there...

Can anyone suggest a cheap taxi service to get me from the airport there? Would it be around 50 quid? What are the alternatives?

My friend said that he'd come to pick me up but he's down on hard times and I'd rather he not drive that distance.

So any suggestions would be good..

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm to visit a friend who lives near the Giant's Causeway in Bushmills. That is until I realised that its not exactly easy to get there...

Can anyone suggest a cheap taxi service to get me from the airport there? Would it be around 50 quid? What are the alternatives?

My friend said that he'd come to pick me up but he's down on hard times and I'd rather he not drive that distance.

So any suggestions would be good..

Thanks
This site has information and links for public transportation to the area.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ajGoes
This site has information and links for public transportation to the area.
Thanks but I thought I'd ask someone who know the area, eg people who have either done the route or know which is better.

I think I'll take shuttle bus to Sydenham Train Station, to Belfast Central Train Station, and then change to another train to Portrush Train Station. From there, it isn't too far for my friend to come. Or I can take a taxi.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 24, 2014 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You can book a private hire car at a desk in the airport terminal or by phone. Get one of these to Central station and get your train to Portrush from there. There are no taxis at the airport due to some arcane local ordnances.

I don't really recommend using Sydenham station. The "shuttle bus" is actually an MPV driven by a parking attendant/security guard who will gruffly drive you to a little gate, probably taking a couple of detours along the way to yell at people parked in a no-parking zone. You then have to cross a high footbridge (stairs only) over a six-lane highway and the railway line to get to the station, where trains are perhaps every half an hour if you're lucky.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by stifle
.... There are no taxis at the airport due to some arcane local ordnances.

... You then have to cross a high footbridge (stairs only) over a six-lane highway and the railway line to get to the station, where trains are perhaps every half an hour if you're lucky.
There are taxis at the airport, but like LHR to London city they will be very expensive for a trip to Bushmills, about £60 each way. There are no private hire cars at either of the Belfast airports as it is regulated. You can arrange for a private hire to drop or collect you and it is more financially sensible to do this. I have an account with a local firm for dropping and collecting me at BHD for this reason.

The Sydenham bypass is only two lanes in each direction under the footbridge - six lane highways exist for about a mile in the whole of NI - about three miles from the airport at the M2/M3 junction

Guy Betsy, have you considered hiring a car? Are you staying long? Can you drive? The easiest way is just to hire a car at BHD as it will be about £25 per day plus fuel. If I am just coming in for a day or two then I hire a car as it is cheaper than two taxis or the mileage to be collected!

Last edited by antichef; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:22 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antichef
The Sydenham bypass is only two lanes in each direction under the footbridge - six lane highways exist for about a mile in the whole of NI - about three miles from the airport at the M2/M3 junction
It has been a while since I was in Belfast but that caught my attention too. I was wondering whether Belfast had gone all SoCal on us and whether we should expect palm trees and Beverly Hills-style mansions alongside the Lisburn Rd...
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by antichef
There are taxis at the airport, but like LHR to London city they will be very expensive for a trip to Bushmills, about £60 each way. There are no private hire cars at either of the Belfast airports as it is regulated.
Are you sure? Whenever I have come into BHD there have been signs all over the place on the pick-up/drop-off and arrivals hall saying "you must book your cab at the airport terminal desk" and you can't just jump in.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You just walk out to the taxi rank and get the next free one. It is the taxi business at the airport that is regulated, just like at LHR so that only the authorised firm can work the taxi rank. You dont have to book the airport cabs, but if you want a private hire you will have to book it to collect you. They then wait in the short term car park.

When I am just getting a cab into the city I walk out and grab the next one. When I am going home (about 20 miles) I use a local firm on a contract to my company who collect me from the short term.

So yes, I am sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.