Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

To get into england do you need a certain money requirment to enter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

This is really important and i was told nothing of this but i heard it's possible that for me to be able to enter england i need a certain amount of money even though i'll be staying with my boyfriend's family. I'm 17 and i have my passport and i thought that is all i needed. it's for 3 weeks!

im stressing out over this
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
What country is your passport?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I was once in the customs line at LHR and they were asking a young backpacker for proof of monies. Maybe you should stress that you are visiting friends and your costs will be minimal.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At 17, you should document parents' permission for you to travel and visit boyfriend's family and invitation from boyfriend's family for you to visit and stay with them for the entire three week trip.

Many countries have money requirements as part of their official entry rules and are more likely to enforce this against young travelers or people that appear that they might be problems.

Do you have credit cards?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
And the border agents may need to be certain that you have strong enough ties to return to your home country, and not to just remain in the UK.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Okay and I'm from the USA. I will have a printed document from the people I'll be staying with in UK. And a written one from my work and mom. I have a debit card but it won't have much on it can I say that my mother will put more on my card if I need it? Or would that not be suffient?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by kodachi
Okay and I'm from the USA. I will have a printed document from the people I'll be staying with in UK. And a written one from my work and mom. I have a debit card but it won't have much on it can I say that my mother will put more on my card if I need it? Or would that not be suffient?
You shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Since the topic of your post is specific to the UK, I've moved the thread to our U.K. And Ireland destination forum where it will likely receive more knowledgable attention.

Readers should please keep in mind that this post originated at the flame-free Information Desk when replying to the OP's query.

Thank you to all, and best of luck to the poster!

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:19 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Why don't you call the UK Embassy and ask them what you should do? I'd be interested in knowing what the official stance would be on it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by JPG3392
You shouldn't have any trouble.
There have been a number of stories over the years, of people going to the UK and being rejected while visiting friends or boy/girlfriends.

It's much better to be prepared in advanced, than to be sent packing back to the US. At a minimum, a decent amount of money, a notarized letter from her parents, etc. I'd guess at least $1000 and maybe $2000 would be ok.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:32 pm

Proof that you are going home and have reasons to want to go home will be needed especially if this is an extended stay
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
The problem is that UK border staff are very keen on identifying people who intend to stay and work illegally in the UK - or who fit the profile of somebody who might. Since you are young and staying with a friend (though being American is probably in your favour) you are definitely at risk of scrutiny and possibly being denied entry - they might also be worried that you intend to marry your boyfriend and thus become legally entitled to live and work in the UK.

You should be fine but it would definitely help if you had proof you are going to go home - return plane ticket, proof of having a job/being enrolled at school and also proof that you have access to funds to support yourself.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
Proof that you are going home and have reasons to want to go home will be needed especially if this is an extended stay
It's not an extended stay - the OP is staying for three weeks.

And the OP's question was, simply, "do I need to have a specific amount of money" - to which the answer is "no".

The main things that the UK Border Force are interested in are...

1) Is this person a genuine visitor who is not going to overstay, AND
2) Is this person likely to become a burden on public funds

The OP's return ticket, and the letter from their employer, will take care of (1).

A suitable letter from the OP's host family ("This person is staying with us as our guest and we are paying all expenses") should take care of (2).

So - as long as the OP is able to produce these documents if asked I don't see any problems.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

okay thank you guys

my work is refusing to write the letter, because she says she's not authorized and apparently my mom said it was because florida is a free work state and it's guaranteeing me a job if they do the letter

either way she isn't wanting to write a letter
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I wouldn't worry about the employment letter. More teens don't have a job these days than do. Would substitute a notarized letter from your mother (preferably both parents if possible) saying you have her permission to leave the country on dates that match your plane ticket. Europe's generally not weird about that like Mexico is, but you never know when it will be useful, and it reinforces the idea that you're part of her household and headed back home soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.