Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vertigo 42 beware

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by measures
I can understand the OP's concern. What sort of country is it, where everyone is on CCTV and searched like that? Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm less and less inclined to visit UK, what with this sort of thing, and armed patrols in the airport lounge (esp Gatwick), which I find very scary.
It's a country which has been subjected to domestic terrorism, and while the risks of domestic terrorism have changed over the years, they still exist.

Vertigo 42 is at the top of what for many years was the UK's tallest building, and that's why it has been a target for terrorism before.

I don't know where you are, but to put it in a US context, visiting Tower 42 is much like visiting the Empire State Building. Its website says: "All visitors to the Empire State Building must pass through primary security screening, similar to airport security procedure, before going to the Observatory."

Or the Eiffel Tower: "Security checks will be carried out before entry to the Eiffel Tower. For reasons of security and safety, visitors are required to open their bags and packages and present or disclose the contents at the entrance to or exit from the monument, or in any other part of the monument upon request from personnel or security guards. "

It's possible that the OP didn't realise that Vertigo was in a location regarded as a potential terrorist target, and perhaps that should be clearer on the website, but I don't think the UK is significantly out of step in terms of its response to terrorism.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your post could have been worded better. I just assumed it was an establishment situated at street level. Now knowing it's at the top of a ruddy great big skyscraper my opinion on the subject has changed.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Ah, so even rent-a-cops at commercial sites are guilty of "mission creep!"
lol i wont go into a discussion about the TSA .... I find being searched on commercial properties very Orwellian.

My friends says he wasnt informed about the security checks when making a booking but i cannot verify this. I've never visited any high-profile attraction sin the UK for the same reason (Buckingham Palace, Parliament etc).

Last edited by GodAtum; Apr 7, 2014 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: TrueBlue
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Not quite sure what the issue is?
The armed police officers you see at LGW and LHR, as well as FRA and other major airports, are much better trained and equipped than the average armed police officer at US airports.
I flew out of MHT a couple of months after 9/11. This was before the TSA was implemented.

There were armed National Guard troops, in uniform, guns ready all over the airport.

I felt pretty damn safe.

I do NOT feel safe with these TSA personell who don't even need a GED to qualify for the job.

Give me trained military over undertrained civilians ANY day for THAT job.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GodAtum
lol i wont go into a discussion about the TSA .... I find being searched on commercial properties very Orwellian.

My friends says he wasnt informed about the security checks when making a booking but i cannot verify this. I've never visited any high-profile attraction sin the UK for the same reason (Buckingham Palace, Parliament etc).
Anyone with the faintest knowledge of the City and its history of terrorist attacks wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest.
I'd be interested in what this security check involved.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by GodAtum

Don't go to Bogota.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Showbizguru
Anyone with the faintest knowledge of the City and its history of terrorist attacks wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest.
I'd be interested in what this security check involved.
When I went it was a walk through metal detector. I don't remember having my bag searched.

Pretty standard for a potential terrorist target in the City.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:22 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by measures
I can understand the OP's concern. What sort of country is it, where everyone is on CCTV and searched like that? Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm less and less inclined to visit UK, what with this sort of thing, and armed patrols in the airport lounge (esp Gatwick), which I find very scary.
On the contrary, because of the surveillance (including CCTV on public transport), I find London one of the least threatening / safest big cities to visit.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Ah, so even rent-a-cops at commercial sites are guilty of "mission creep!"
To be fair, this is not uncommon at many bars and pubs in Soho, and normally it's doormen or bouncers who search bags for alcohol. I think it's both a safety and a commercial thing.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by ajax
To be fair, this is not uncommon at many bars and pubs in Soho, and normally it's doormen or bouncers who search bags for alcohol. I think it's both a safety and a commercial thing.
I had my bag searched going into a gay bar recently in Soho. I wished the bouncers good luck as I can never find anything in there either
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
On the contrary, because of the surveillance (including CCTV on public transport), I find London one of the least threatening / safest big cities to visit.
+1

Especially in the City and Canary Wharf. I have no problems being security checked in the City just as I have no problem whatsoever when my car is stopped by Security at Canary Wharf for one of their random checks (usually testing the steering wheel for explosive residue and/or checking your boot). Security are very switched on making it a very safe place to be.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I had my bag searched going into a gay bar recently in Soho. I wished the bouncers good luck as I can never find anything in there either
I always tell them they're welcome to my sweaty gym kit if they fancy it. Strangely no takers
Old Apr 12, 2014, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few moments making sure everyone is okay and safe is much better than in an ambulance The Boston bombings is an example of what can easily happen in London.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, what has happened in London (and the UK) is an example of what can happen in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.