Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight in London

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:59 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SQ319
Also you're only 5 minutes from Paddington station via cab.
Remember though that the OP is on a very tight budget and London cabs aren't cheap.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by henry999
Remember though that the OP is on a very tight budget and London cabs aren't cheap.

cheers,

Henry
Which is why I'd recommend the Tube over the HEX.

Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the comments. I'm on a tighter timetable than budget. It sounds like a tube to London at night and Heathrow express in the morning. Any thoughts about Marble Arch Marriott or would you suggest something else in the $200 -$300 range for a hotel?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House. On Park Lane, just south of Marble Arch. But it's probably out of that price range (I was on a point stay). There is also a Marriott Grosvenor Square. That's in the same area. South of Oxford Street a bit and just a bit east of Park Lane.

If you are a Marriott guy and are looking to either get some points and nights for a stay or are looking to redeem, those Marble Arch area hotels work well. Not at all far from Paddington. Pretty sure they are Marriott's closest properties. A cab ride should be under £10
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dbears
I had planned to stay in town but I'm not sure where to stay. The budge is probably $200 or so for hotel and a nice dinner and breakfast.
Otherwise, my hoped for budget was about $200 for the room.
...would you suggest something else in the $200 -$300 range for a hotel?
As these quotes show, you seem to keep changing your mind. This is not necessarily bad; perhaps your thinking is evolving in light of the advice / comments you have been receiving here. But it does make things more complicated for anyone trying to help you when the proposed budget can essentially double in the blink of an eye (i.e., $200 room + meals for two people > $300 room only). People here have obviously been giving considerable thought to your situation (that's what FT is for) but as UAP said in his first reply to your OP, you might try to be more informed and less vague.

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks Henry. My first post's syntax was poor. I meant $200 for the hotel and then get a nice dinner and breakfast. I now realize $200 for a hotel in London is probably unrealistic and in order stay somewhere nice I'll just use my Marriott points. 40k points seems steep so I might consider an equally nice hotel for $200 or $300 but I suspect that's not likely.

If Marriott points are the way to go, is Marble Arch's location the best bet?

Sorry again about the ambiguity.

Mike
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Henry. My first post's syntax was poor. I meant $200 for the hotel and then get a nice dinner and breakfast. I now realize $200 for a hotel in London is probably unrealistic and in order stay somewhere nice I'll just use my Marriott points. 40k points seems steep so I might consider an equally nice hotel for $200 or $300 but I suspect that's not likely.

If Marriott points are the way to go, is Marble Arch's location the best bet?

Sorry again about the ambiguity.

Mike
It's certainly a fine location, especially if you like to shop. Marble Arch tube station is on the Central Line. That can serve you well if you want to go see St. Paul's. Or you could ride the Central line and connect up with the Circle Line to get to Tower Hill for the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. If you go down one station to Bond Street, you can also pickup the Jubilee Line. Ride that down to Westminster. Get out there and head to the surface and you see Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. Walk across the bridge there and you'll see the London Eye.

Really, with the way the big attractions are spread around, there are lots of good locations. Hard to say one is "best". But since you seem to be planning to use the HEX, I think keeping you near Paddington is good. But if for some reason you wanted to change that but still wanted to stay Marriott, consider County Hall. It's right next to the London Eye. Very convenient to all the places mentioned that are right above the Westminster tube station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.