Wiki Posts
Search

IRIS is being replaced in the UK with Registered traveller scheme

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL
IRIS is being replaced in the UK with Registered traveller scheme

The registered traveler scheme launches 24 September 2013 and will improve the way regular visitors can pass through the UK border. It will initially be available at Heathrow and Gatwick airports.

Passengers can apply for the scheme if they:
previously registered to use IRIS;
are from the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia or New Zealand;
have completed at least 4 trips to the UK in the last 52 weeks; or
are a short term visitor to the UK aged over 18.
Eligible travelers will be able to apply and register online. More information will be available from 24 September on this webpage.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/cu...euk/usingiris/
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this topic is not specific to American Airlines, it is being moved to the U.K. and Ireland destination forum for discussion there by a wider audience.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
OK ... It seems that this might end the pain for Mrs. jib at least.
I wait with baited breath for the details.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:36 am

Also looking forward to hearing more about this. Currently it's not clear if it'll be available to UK residents, or just "frequent visitors"?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This is such welcome news. Visiting the UK has been painful (relatively speaking anyhow!) for me since my IRIS registration expired. On a recent visit, a UK Boarder Agency agent told me that this was coming, and I've been anxiously awaiting its arrival. I don't think it's available for UK or EU residents; I believe the idea is to allow "registered travellers" from the US, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand to use the shorter Uk/EU resident line at immigration.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I don't think it's available for UK or EU residents; I believe the idea is to allow "registered travellers" from the US, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand to use the shorter Uk/EU resident line at immigration.
If so, that sounds like a smaller set of people than IRIS, which was available to not just "frequent visitors", but also residents and visa holders regardless of nationality - some of whom no doubt come through the border a lot more often than 4 times per year!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
deleted.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Reason077
If so, that sounds like a smaller set of people than IRIS, which was available to not just "frequent visitors", but also residents and visa holders regardless of nationality - some of whom no doubt come through the border a lot more often than 4 times per year!
Indeed, no UK/EU passengers allowed it seems.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I think that the argument is that UK citizens get to use the automated entry gates instead - but that assumes that there are enough of them, which is simply not the case. At T5 on Sunday, it took my wife 15 minutes to get through regular passport control, and me 20 minutes to get through the automated gate - we had a little race!

Not to say the winning mattered as it took T5 1hr 30 minutes from landing to deliver the baggage, by which time the last tubes and trains were long gone. The delights of T5 and BA.....
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think that the argument is that UK citizens get to use the automated entry gates instead
I'm thinking about UK residents (who hold non-UK/EU passports), rather than citizens. The wording is unclear, but seems to suggest that the "Registered traveller scheme" will be for frequent short-term visitors only and not residents. I guess we'll find out when more details are posted.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Looking forward to the new program. IRIS was great!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think that the argument is that UK citizens get to use the automated entry gates instead
Except of course for the fact that if we're traveling as a family with the kids, we're not allowed to use the gates. Grr.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
This morning I cleared immigation in T3. Mentioned that I missed IRIS and asked the agent about whatever was supposed to be announced tomorrow. He had no idea anything was in the works.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by rwoman
This morning I cleared immigation in T3. Mentioned that I missed IRIS and asked the agent about whatever was supposed to be announced tomorrow. He had no idea anything was in the works.
Doesn't surprise me.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by chanp
Doesn't surprise me.
Me either. LOL

Curious to see if the website is actually updated tomorrow!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.