Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which car transfer service do you recommend in LHR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Sorry, can't remember the one way price, but I think it's more than half. Plug that code into the hex website and it tells you.

I suspect you need to buy in advance too.

At midday I'd just get a cab from the rank at Paddington. Will be easier than trying to find the driver.
Now wondering if simply taxi or AL all the way might be best - once said and done HEX + cab from Paddington...same ballpark? (minus risk of rush hour)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Cheaper than HEX for 2 folks

Got quotes this week for a car from Mayfair (W1) to Heathrow, 2 people & 2 suitcases, from these two companies. One was £29 the other £30. Cheaper than the HEX for 2 people. Uber was £37 (no discount factored in).

http://www.ukairportcars.co.uk/Default.aspx

http://www.airportexecutive.co.uk/
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Got quotes this week for a car from Mayfair (W1) to Heathrow, 2 people & 2 suitcases, from these two companies. One was £29 the other £30. Cheaper than the HEX for 2 people. Uber was £37 (no discount factored in).

http://www.ukairportcars.co.uk/Default.aspx

http://www.airportexecutive.co.uk/
I have to assume that was pp - right?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jpschoubert
I have to assume that was pp - right?
No, no. Flat rate. Check their websites.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
£50 for E-Class taxi to LHR from SE London via Drivr. This includes a £10 first-time discount.

Not bad, will give it a shot. Any ideas how much time I need to set aside for a BA flight leaving around 6:30? (Especially as it's Maundy Thursday!)
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:22 pm

Excellent Info - Plan for sure - Thanks:-:
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Any recent recommendations for LHR to DT Cambridge and return transfers?

2 people, 2 checked bags, 2 carry-ons (backpacks)

MODS: I know there are multiple threads on this - feel free to consolidate

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 15, 2016 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:48 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Panther are one of the big ones in Cambridge - they charge £105 for a pickup.

Failing that, Uber to King's Cross, train to Cambridge, taxi off the rank (or Uber again) to the DT.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Panther are one of the big ones in Cambridge - they charge £105 for a pickup.

Failing that, Uber to King's Cross, train to Cambridge, taxi off the rank (or Uber again) to the DT.
Awesome - thank you! Is National Express worth considering at all if we don't go the car service route or is uber/train/uber the better alternative?

We arrive into T3 (Delta) and depart out of T2 (Aegean) if that has any impact.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depends on the time of day, really. National Express is OK, but doesn't take the fastest route. It is cheapest. Train has a rush hour advantage.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:08 pm

Depends on the time of day, really. National Express is OK, but doesn't take the fastest route. It is cheapest. Train has a rush hour advantage.
Uber (or any car) from LHR to King's Cross station however does not have the rush hour advantage.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
To and from Cambridge I (highly) recommend Cambridge Connections, who I use regularly: http://www.cambridgeconnections.co.uk

In the executive transfer market I've also used Voyager Executive Cars in the past, but they cranked their prices up rather high a year or two back.

Panther will probably do the job, but I'm not to keen on some of their drivers, my preferred local taxi company is A1 Cabco - however either of these may well not provide as comfortable a ride as Cambridge Connections. Much as I like cabco for local taxis, I would go with C C for an airport transfer.

C C use all Merc, Audi, large Volvo, Jag etc. A taxi company might send you a town 6-seater with very hard seats for 2 hours! C C charge about 100 quid for the trip one way, and will wait for you by arrivals in LHR and/or call you for an update if there are delays (of traffic or aircraft).
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:11 pm

Note that if you are leaving LHR in the 17:00 to 19:00 timeframe then traffic can make your journey 2.5-3 hours, outside those times a reasonable taxi should do it in less than 2 hours each way.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Uber (or any car) from LHR to King's Cross station however does not have the rush hour advantage.
Originally Posted by flatlander
Note that if you are leaving LHR in the 17:00 to 19:00 timeframe then traffic can make your journey 2.5-3 hours, outside those times a reasonable taxi should do it in less than 2 hours each way.
Okay cool - we won't be traveling during rush hour so that shouldn't be a factor. We arrive on a DL flight from the US at ~11am on a Saturday and our flight out to ATH is on Monday at 4pm so we should miss rush hour on both sides.

Originally Posted by flatlander
To and from Cambridge I (highly) recommend Cambridge Connections, who I use regularly: http://www.cambridgeconnections.co.uk

In the executive transfer market I've also used Voyager Executive Cars in the past, but they cranked their prices up rather high a year or two back.

Panther will probably do the job, but I'm not to keen on some of their drivers, my preferred local taxi company is A1 Cabco - however either of these may well not provide as comfortable a ride as Cambridge Connections. Much as I like cabco for local taxis, I would go with C C for an airport transfer.

C C use all Merc, Audi, large Volvo, Jag etc. A taxi company might send you a town 6-seater with very hard seats for 2 hours! C C charge about 100 quid for the trip one way, and will wait for you by arrivals in LHR and/or call you for an update if there are delays (of traffic or aircraft).

Thanks for the tip! I'll take a look at Cambridge Connections and see how the stack up

EDIT: Just thanks again for CC recommendation. They quoted me 201 quid for the roundtrip which seems reasonable and with little hassle so will go that direction.

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 27, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Okay cool - we won't be traveling during rush hour so that shouldn't be a factor. We arrive on a DL flight from the US at ~11am on a Saturday and our flight out to ATH is on Monday at 4pm so we should miss rush hour on both sides.

EDIT: Just thanks again for CC recommendation. They quoted me 201 quid for the roundtrip which seems reasonable and with little hassle so will go that direction.
Delta lands at Terminal 3 so when you've walked the long walk to the UK Border, entered, and got your bags, go out of the customs exit and there is where drivers usually wait. I tend to find the C C drivers tend to stand a bit to the right side and slightly back, often just in front of the Boots shopfront.

If you're very hungry or thirsty on arrival, you can get something there, and if you're desperate for caffeination there's a Costa Coffee. If you need toilets, go right and right again and continue past the slot-machine arcade for the toilets.

The journey should take you about 1h45m each way at that time of day. I'm glad C C were able to sort you out. That's quite a reasonable price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.